Focus Zetec Turbo questions

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Focus Zetec Turbo questions

Postby rogggo on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:21 pm

Hi all,

First post so let me start by saying hi. Have been a keen reader of the topics on here for some time now, and I'm now becoming more and more compelled to get stuck in with a project myself.

I have been reading the various posts about turbocharging Zetec engines and transplanting them to RSTs etc, but I'm actually wondering how easy it is to do the same thing to a Focus, already fitted with the 2.0L Zetec engine?

I'd like to give this some thought before going ahead with it and getting stuck somewhere, so hopefully you'll be able to answer my questions.

If I can execute the conversion with little complication, my plan is to buy a 1.8 or prefereably a 2.0L Focus Zetec, and turbocharge it. My first question is:

1. Is the 2.0L Zetec engine the same in all Mk 1 Focus' from 1998-2004?

2. I understand the focus RS is a Turbo'd 2L Zetec, so will it be possible, and if so, easier/cheaper to fit Focus RS parts to the engine, e.g. exhaust manifold, radiator, intercooler etc?

3. I assume a standalone ECU will be required as well, can anyone recomend any decent systems I can read up on just to clarify things a bit more?

4. Basically i just want to know how feasible it is to turbocharge a Focus. Have many people done it before? If so is it relatively straight forward? Does the front end require much/any modification in order for things to fit OK?

That's it for now! I appreciate any response/advice.. just need to get things crystal clear in my head before I go charging ahead as usual ;)

Roggo :D
rogggo
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Re: Focus Zetec Turbo questions

Postby SiZT on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:28 pm

1. the engines went through 3 series but are all pretty much the same bar minor differences

2. I think the focus RS radiator is the same as a normal focus one, but yes, try and get a manifold and turbo off of one and see if you can get the chargecooler system as well, but if not, don't worry because the system in the focus is allegedly not very effective for higher boost

3. You could probably use an OFAB ECU and loom

4. Don't know about this one though mate
Ratspeed :Maybe Wardy257 has a magazine article on it................
SiZT
Poster
Poster

Postby rogggo on Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:19 am

thanks for the advice mate.. been looking on the net today and there are a few focus turbos kicking around.. there are some in the Area Six customer gallery and i also saw a site which had a special series of turbo'd focus' sold as GMD T190, T230 and T230R - http://www.fasterfords.com/gmd.htm - but neither of these companies seem to operate still :-?

Thanks for the help so far!

Rob
rogggo
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby SiZT on Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:45 pm

try power engineering, they built the first focus turbo in the UK I think
Ratspeed :Maybe Wardy257 has a magazine article on it................
SiZT
Poster
Poster

Postby properphatboy on Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:43 pm

1. I think all Focus' are black-tops, yes.

2. It may be cheaper to use focus stuff, but maybe not. I'd imagine a rover inlet manifold might be cheaper. You're probably better off going for uprated charge cooling stuff in the first place, instead of changing it later. Aftermarket exhaust manifold may be a good idea too, depending on what turbo you want to run.

3. Could be cheaper to use an RS or FRST ECU and loom, but again I'd say go for aftermarket with the future in mind. Megasquirt if you want to get stuck in yourself or stuff like Omex, etc if not.

4. It's defo been done, but to find out how many I'd try a Focus forum or maybe PassionFord. Not trying to put you off here fella, but for info on what will fit where it may not be the best place. It is a Fiesta site after all. Stick around there. Plenty of friendly people with loads of info they're willing to share. :)
properphatboy
Post Master
Post Master

Your car: Peugeot 306 D L

Postby rogggo on Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:14 am

thanks for the info mate.. much appreciated.

lol, well i thought i'd come here first because everyone seems to know what theyre talking about.. and majority of focus sites require you to be a paid member.. but ill check out passionford.. havent seen it yet!

thanks again
rogggo
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby jimmyesh on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:09 am

Read Performance Ford they have a project car which is a ZETEC-TURBO Ford KA known as "project peanut"

They're using the Black-top zetec from a 2.0 Focus and have updates each month :) It's a comprehensive build and goes into great detail on all aspects of the conversion :wink:
jimmyesh
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Yes

Postby rogggo on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:13 pm

great info thanks mate!
rogggo
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby XR2i_Lee on Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:14 pm

If your looking for cheap thrills Jackson Racing do a supercharger for the 2.0 Focus for £1500 at the current exchange rate, takes you up to about 200bhp on standard internals iirc.

Edit, here's the link.

http://www.supercharger.com/Shop/ViewPr ... exID=33366
XR2i_Lee
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.