FRST and T2 questions.

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

FRST and T2 questions.

Postby Mexi on Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:57 am

say i bought an FRST but didnt wanna go T3...........

what is the peak sorta power and torque you could expect using a T2 (be it stage 3?)

i mean the car would be running low comp bottom end, uprated injectors, intercooler, head and uprated cam ect but would want to keep the T2 to keep the car tractable on the road.

im guessing at 175bhp while keeping the car reliable?

whats your thoughts? :aviator:
Mexi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:53 pm

175bhp is good power for a FRST and will still be a handfull. Without a LSD i would say thats enough power. I have 140bhp @ wheels and i have to take care especially on wet roads, understeer and wheel spin is all i get, as we all know the T2 comes on very low down the revs.
As i have mentioned the LSD, remember your gearbox wont like lots of power, mine gave up.........i was lucky i caught it just in time.

But once your engine has the capapbility to produce more, you will be tempted to keep pushing it.
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby Mexi on Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:47 pm

id be more than happy with 175bhp! :D

in fact in my opinion this is around the optimum usable (day to day) power for an FRST.....

will an FRST box not take around 200bhp tho? :-?

Geooooooooooooooooooff? :bonkers:
Mexi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby voorhas on Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:55 pm

Fezzy Turbo :I have 140bhp @ wheels and i have to take care especially on wet roads, understeer and wheel spin is all i get, as we all know the T2 comes on very low down the revs.
As i have mentioned the LSD, remember your gearbox wont like lots of power, mine gave up.........i was lucky i caught it just in time.

How much torque is your FRST pushing out and where on the rev range does the boost start to build up? When does it start to really move?

Gonçalo D.
voorhas
Poster
Poster

Re: FRST and T2 questions.

Postby AdrianFRST on Sun Jan 12, 2003 4:56 pm

Mexi :say i bought an FRST but didnt wanna go T3...........

what is the peak sorta power and torque you could expect using a T2 (be it stage 3?)

i mean the car would be running low comp bottom end, uprated injectors, intercooler, head and uprated cam ect but would want to keep the T2 to keep the car tractable on the road.

im guessing at 175bhp while keeping the car reliable?

whats your thoughts? :aviator:

Ask anyone who's gone from T2 to T3 and they'll tell you that they'd never go back to a T2 ever again.

The spec you list was pretty much what Paul R was running before he got his Zetec. T2 running 16psi, chargecooler, cam etc.

He couldn't out-accelerate me and mine was just chipped with the T3 (10psi).

You can't run more than around 8psi on a std T2 without it cracking the housing, and a hybrid will cost £700+, for which you could do the T3 conversion twice over and still have change for an intercooler.

Id forget about low-comp and bigger injectors and go T3 with a suitable cam, and a GRS intercooler. Run 10-12psi then spend the rest of your budget on rose-jointed lower arms and front and rear strut braces.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Your car: ..? Pretty car..!

Car: 2010 Ford Focus RS

Postby Mexi on Sun Jan 12, 2003 5:01 pm

ok ade thanks mate, ill look into that :)
Mexi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:25 am

[quote="AdrianFRST"]
You can't run more than around 8psi on a std T2 without it cracking the housing....... [quote]

"8psi"......erm, i think they will easily push 12 psi without too much hassle, as long as your oil is changed regualrly.
Yes i know mine is a freak turbo and happily hitting 15psi, but thats because of the IrnBru i put in my oil :wink:

Voorhas : Thats one thing i dont have, i should get myself a torque graph next time i have my car on the rollers. Anyway, my car still has a std T2 so the power comes on very low down and with the help of my cam it keeps going, but as usual the T2 runs out of puff at about 5k revs. So no point hitting the redline. My peak power is 139.8bhp @ just over 5000 revs.
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby Ian C70T5 on Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:36 am

I TOTALLY agree with Ade here..

Myself and him argued over this point, because i was sure i would never want or need a T3 conversion.. BUT after going through abiout 4 or 5 hybrid T2's under warranty etc, i decided to take the plunge..

OMG does the T3 make a difference, i ran a standard T3 for a while, and wanted more so got a stage 2 T3.. Main difference is the top end of rev range, it never runs out of puff, i pulls right to the line, where as i could feel the T2 running out and being overworked..

Plus the T2 doesnt come in stages it it hybrid or not, the T3 has a few difference stages to suit your needs...

Also the T2 is known to be a crap turbo in the FRST once modified, it is very very prone to cracking and seals going because it is not strong enough..
Ian C70T5
Das Ist Kapput
Das Ist Kapput

Postby keydoh on Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:18 pm

[quote="AdrianFRST
You can't run more than around 8psi on a std T2 without it cracking the housing, and a hybrid will cost £700+, for which you could do the T3 conversion twice over and still have change for an intercooler.

Id forget about low-comp and bigger injectors and go T3 with a suitable cam, and a GRS intercooler. Run 10-12psi then spend the rest of your budget on rose-jointed lower arms and front and rear strut braces.[/quote]

This is the first time I've read this on the forum, I've seen figures of around the 14-16psi mark.

My mates broke his ERST and still has most of the stuff I'd need for the converstion, my opnly dilema is I've had a brand new turbo only 6months ago. Is it worth swapping and facing the bill for a new T3 (how much?)

I had the bottom end low-comp'd when the piston broke, but I thought that I'd need new injectors and stuff to get more power out?

Thanks

Keydoh
keydoh
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AndyBlackFRST on Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:59 pm

My mates frst is running a T2 and has hit 178BHP on the rollers.. a few engine bits done, but only standard bottom end etc.

I went T3 and the power is sooo much different and as Ian and Ade said above, you can feel the T2 running out of steam.
Car is back...
AndyBlackFRST
BANNED SELLER

Postby IanRST on Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:56 pm

Who does the whole T3 conversion near the Kent area or London i am not that mechanicly minded so i would need the lot being done so where and how much?
IanRST
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AndyBlackFRST on Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:03 pm

The T3 conversion is very easy to do if you have all the parts there, the only bit that needs sorting, is the exhaust joining..

SCC can do this work for you if you want it local (St Albans)
Car is back...
AndyBlackFRST
BANNED SELLER

Postby DorsetZS on Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:16 pm

Are you willing to say how much you paid for yours Andy, and whats parts are involved, reconed or new ?
DorsetZS
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Ian C70T5 on Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:46 pm

I used all parts of my missus ERST

Bottom Intercooler to turbo Hose
T3 Turbo/Manifold
Oil Feed Pipe
Oil Return hose
Oil Return Boss for Block
Modified Down pipe from T2 turbo and T3 pipe
ERST Top Water Hose

Total Cost to me was about 67p for the Exhasut Manifold Gasket :lol:

I then upgraded to Hybrid Stage 2
Ian C70T5
Das Ist Kapput
Das Ist Kapput

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.