FRST Engine replacement/repair?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Postby UHF on Wed Jan 09, 2002 4:47 pm

I have a 105k FRST engine which i'm about to change the gearbox on, was wondering if its more economical to change the engine or to recondition it myself.

As far as I know theres nothing wrong with it but I dont want to start adding more power and chipping etc and spending money on an engine this old in case it gives up and dies.

What choices do I have for replacement or recon on a standard FRST, bearing in mind if I replace it I'd probably want to uprate some parts inside before I drop it in.

In fact are there any sure fire tests I can do to find out my engine condition?
UHF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby snake on Wed Jan 09, 2002 6:14 pm

Heads got to come off, the only major point is if the bores are worn, at that mileage they probably are so it will require a rebore and 4 new pistons.. Rebuild it to your spec, or go zvh..
snake
Trainee Burger Flipper
Trainee Burger Flipper

Your car: ford

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:43 pm

*cough* *cough* excuse me :wink:

There was nothing wrong with my engine, but I had the head taken off my engine at 104k, as i was planning to "chip" the car and get more power.
There was no wear on the bores, nothing to get worried about anyway. The only other bit i had to change were the exhaust valves, oh and Ford recommend changing the cam.
So......I obviously got an uprated head gasket, new Kent cam etc.... and got it all put back together.
My car was then set to run at 10psi, but is now at 13psi and is running very well with 127,300miles and counting......
If you are wanting more power i highly recommend getting your engine's head off and changing the head gasket and with the mileage you have, you will need to change the cam.
Have a look see and then plan out if you need anything major.

cheers :smile:
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby UHF on Thu Jan 10, 2002 3:48 am

Can I have a look see without taking the car off the road though! I very much doubt it, i need to prepare for the worst so that when it does need to be off the road to be done that it isnt off for long.

Anyway, whats the story with these cams, surely you cant just drop in a Kent Cam and get 25hp extra without a trade off, ie bad idle, more lag, anything?
UHF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Thu Jan 10, 2002 3:08 pm

What you need to do, is take your car to a reputable tuner. Some tuners will take the head off your engine and then "recommend" you get other things done when they are not needed......you have been warned!!

Getting a cam can be a trade off to idle, but with good tuning and a vernier pulley, (highly recommended), most FRST's will run fine with a "lumpy" cam. I would very much doubt you would get 25bhp from a cam in a FRST. I have a "mild" Kent cam in mine but the popular choice is the Piper 285T2 cam.
It is up to you what you want, the more lumpier the more power, but this will add strain to the original bottom end and different cams have different characteristics. Some give power low down the rev range and some higher up the rev range.
Contact cam manufacturers and get the info, then decide what you want.
The choice is yours................

cheers :smile:
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby RS Malik on Fri Jan 11, 2002 1:44 pm

Try getting a compression test done before you start pulling your engine apart. This test will tell you what kind of pressure each of your cylinders is producing. :Q
RS Malik
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.