FRST tuning setup?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Postby festaturbo on Wed Jul 11, 2001 7:44 pm

Ive go a FRST running 17psi with an uprated intercooler/165 chip/piper high boost cam. Power engineering have set the car up previously but i have heard that u shouldnt run more than 15psi with a standard bottom end(which ive got)? Also is it possible to tune the car urself i have boost gauge and co meter? The cars currently kicking out 181bhp and 183 pounds of torque. Any comments would be appreciated :smile:
thanks
festaturbo
Poster
Poster

Postby bassboy on Wed Jul 11, 2001 8:12 pm

all i can say is dont do it!!!!!! turn the boost down to around 15psi and u'll be running the engine more safely!! if u carry on running that sort of boost...ur conrod/s will be out the side of ur engine m8!! to run 18psi of boost, u need to uprate the big end bolts, get them lentghened, get the conrods and crank dipped into a special liquid that will strengthen them and then u'll be able to run 18psi worth of boost into the engine.

to be honest with u m8...all of the FRST's come with EFI so u cant really play around with it alot so its best left to the professionals...but ur fuelling should be ok with that chip...u might wanna consider moving up to a 195chip

BTW, what turbo u got?

bassboy
bassboy
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Postby festaturbo on Wed Jul 11, 2001 8:40 pm

standard turbo jus been reconditioned. cheers for the advice m8y. Also the induction pipe from the air filter to turbo has got a small vacuum pipe near the top. wen i got the car it wasnt blanked, i removed the air filter (piperX) 2 find that dirt had been sucked through the hole into the turbo(hence recon turbo). Ive blanked it n now the car starts better and no more dirt has got in. Wot is this vacuum pipe 4? R Power engineering [ERRR] good? Wot would u recommend panel filter or induction kit?
festaturbo
Poster
Poster

Postby bassboy on Wed Jul 11, 2001 8:55 pm

if its standard, defo tyrn the boost down m8! i aint too sure what the pipe is for...i'll find out for ya...Yeah Power Engineering are very good, just dont trust their System 2 conversions!!! well dodgy m8! :eek: :eek:

As for the panel filter or the induction...i would go for the induction kit [ERRR] of the noise they make...sounds mental!! some people say that they suck in hot air due to their position, but at the end of the day, as long as u have a chargecooler or intercooler, the engine temp will be right down [ERRR] way so it shouldnt make too much of a difference...u can always get heat shields [ERRR] way to keep the heat away...some people say they make a difference while others say they dont.

where abouts u from m8?

bassboy
bassboy
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Postby snake on Wed Jul 11, 2001 9:03 pm

Panel filter, there is no gain in bhp if u use a cone.. I`ve just drilled a couple of 22mm holes in the bottom of the standard airbox..
snake
Trainee Burger Flipper
Trainee Burger Flipper

Your car: ford

Postby festaturbo on Wed Jul 11, 2001 9:20 pm

cheers mate, if i wind the boost down on the bleed valve 2 14psi will overfuel? [ERRR] theres no lambda it cant re-adjust?
Also silicone hoses wot can i clean them [ERRR] 2 make em shiny like new again?

Im from Surrey m8y, where bouts u?
festaturbo
Poster
Poster

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Wed Jul 11, 2001 9:24 pm

On 2001-07-11 20:12, bassboy wrote:

to be honest with u m8...all of the FRST's come with EFI so u cant really play around with it alot so its best left to the professionals...but ur fuelling should be ok with that chip...u might wanna consider moving up to a 195chip

bassboy

The EFi can be changed quite easily. You will need the CO meter, an Allen key and screw driver.
All you need to change is the fuel regulator with the Allen key and set the idle screw. My CO is at 2.5% which = lots of fuel through out the rev range :smile: But i have been told the my standard injectors are at the flow limit.

festaturbo,
are you still running the standard fuel pump and injectors ???????
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby bassboy on Wed Jul 11, 2001 9:31 pm

ops got it wrong then....weve never really had to do [ERRR] fuelling adjustments to the FRST....only modded Sunnys :wink: :grin: for fuelling though, its best to get it all set up by the professionals as they are setting all the fuelling while the car is moving...summat that us mechanics cant do....we can get it roughly right but rolling road u can get it spot on!...and trust me, u wanna get fuelling done properly especially to avoid detonation!!! which aint nice!

u can clean the hoses with nething like WD40, engine cleaner, Brake cleaner, etc etc,

im from West london m8

bassboy
bassboy
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Postby festaturbo on Wed Jul 11, 2001 9:40 pm

Cheers m8y them hoses could do with a clean.
I am still running the same pump and injectors, so if i wind the boost down n adjust the regulator to make 2.5% should be ok till i set get it rolling roaded. CO% currently running at 3.2%.

thanks
festaturbo
Poster
Poster

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Wed Jul 11, 2001 10:00 pm

yeah, definitely get things set up on rollers :smile:

My boost peaks at 15psi but holds 13 psi which is nice and safe....hopefully :wink: and gives me 165bhp which is also better for the gearbox than 181bhp!!
Having lots of power is great fun, but it will also kill your engine and gearbox if they are not up-graded and looked after :smile:
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby The Gilly on Thu Jul 12, 2001 10:34 am

Bassboy, where abouts in West London are you?
The Gilly
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby bassboy on Thu Jul 12, 2001 10:52 am

around the Heathrow Airport area....u from w.london?

bassboy
bassboy
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.