fuel consumption = bollox

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

fuel consumption = bollox

Postby 1600power on Wed May 14, 2003 6:33 pm

ok i've had my K&N filter on for a good 7months now and its always made my car quite thirsty, but recently its been like the cars pissing fuel out the exhust pipe its going that quickly!

I know I've got a heavy right foot, but the way its dissapearing is scary!

Any1 know how to make this problem less serious other than driving more slowly, would a tune up help it? help!

its a 1.6s btw same engine as the XR2 so its carbed.
now sold but not forgotten! :(
1600power
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby KitKat on Wed May 14, 2003 8:11 pm

What is the consumption like? My car is running the same engine will do about 90 miles on £10 urban driving, does about £215 on £20 each week, thats some urban but also alot of motorway time
KitKat - The Kat has spoken!!
KitKat
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby chumkila on Thu May 15, 2003 9:04 am

Definately get it tuned dude if u haven't recently.
chumkila
Dirty Post Whore!
Dirty Post Whore!

Postby 1600power on Thu May 15, 2003 8:43 pm

well ive managed to go through half a tank and so far ive only managed to get about 90 miles from it!!!

is my K&N to blame? I didnt have the carb rejetted after I fitted the filter so do you think its having its revenge on me for this!
1600power
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby J1OUD on Fri May 16, 2003 6:14 pm

be thankfull that you don't get 120 or so miles to a full £32 tank like me(215bhp CVH-FRST),it will be the k&n to blame,does it have a catalytic convertor as these usually help with destrictinf fuel consumption too,If this is the only or one of only a few mods done to your engine(the K&N) then ask yourself is 1-3bhp increase + a load of extra noise really worth 25 miles to every gallon when it would probably do 30-40 without it on??
J1OUD
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Modder_Phill on Mon May 19, 2003 8:34 pm

Ive got just about 100 miles from half a tank with no engine mods what so ever. But all my journey are 5min ones and i do cain it about.

Might try and drive very conservatively for half a tank next and see how i get on! Boring as it will be!
Modder_Phill
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby 1600power on Mon May 19, 2003 9:49 pm

well the K&N really is fantastic, gave my throttle response a massive boost, I know you might say thats far fetched but I could tell that I had done something to the engine!

But like you say is it worth it :rolleyes: I think im gonna go and get it tuned and see how it fairs after that, if its still drinking fuel at a daft rate then I'll have no choice but to revert back to the old filter and invest in an exhust :P

Thanks all
1600power
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.