Gearbox/transmission

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Postby Chilliedog on Mon Aug 06, 2001 9:04 am

Can some1 tell me if me removing my current, and fitting a 5spd transmission is a little too difficult for me and some1 else to do? I'm reading haynes manual atm :smile:
Chilliedog
Post Master
Post Master

Postby snake on Mon Aug 06, 2001 12:22 pm

3 hours on yer back tops, if its got a.b.s then add another 2..
snake
Trainee Burger Flipper
Trainee Burger Flipper

Your car: ford

Postby Project on Mon Aug 06, 2001 6:16 pm

GO for it, but just make sure you *have* got all the tools you'll need first!!!!!

"Mum, can I have a lift to Halfords please?"
"That's the fifth time today! No!"

:grin: :lol:
<< I need to put something here, yer? >>
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby Phil Si on Mon Aug 06, 2001 6:24 pm

LOL i know that one .. when i drained my coolent system... i didnt buy enuf to top it up.. so had to get dad to take me there about 3 or 4 times in the end :grin:

How's my moderating? Call 0800-U-R-BANNED
Phil Si
Crack Smoker Of The Year 1999
Crack Smoker Of The Year 1999

Car: 2000 BMW 330 Ci

Postby Chilliedog on Tue Aug 07, 2001 1:51 am

Thats cool. so can some1 list everything that I'll need?
I'm gettiong lous gearbox with a bit of luck hopefully.
Considering I'm going from 4spd to 5spd, I know i shall also need new linkages, gear rods, gearstick. But what other lil bits will I need?
what about the lil mechanism at the bottom of the visible gearstick?
Can some1 just name and list ALL the parts i will need for this conversion, and the tools - if some1 knows that is :grin:
ta :smile:
Chilliedog
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Chilliedog on Tue Aug 07, 2001 1:54 am

Obv the last thing I want to happen is me to drive all the way to bornemouth where its gonna be installed, and find out that I'm missing vital parts, and not be able to get them. wanna get the parts in plenty of time.
oh, it would be great if u could also tell me where could get these parts, and a ruff guess as to price :smile: (btw, scrappies in these parts dont have MK 3 fesseys in)
Chilliedog
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Project on Tue Aug 07, 2001 7:25 pm

Strictly speaking, you don't need the new shifter.

You'll need:-

1 gearbox
5-7 litres of gear oil

And a shed load of tools!

Various other bits and bobs too if you fancy it, such as oil seals, split pins, but nothing you can't live without for a few thousand miles... :aaah:
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby Chilliedog on Wed Aug 08, 2001 4:47 pm

thats what I mean st2k, like the valves or seals that would do well to be replaced with the new transmission.
Chilliedog
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Chilliedog on Fri Aug 10, 2001 4:52 am

Ok, got a quote for linkages and rod with stick, at £25+vat
now, now I dunno what I'm talking about, but on the inside of the car, at the bottom of the gearstick, do i need a new unit that the rubber bit covers? with all those bearings and stuff? or is that included in witht he rod/linkages/rods? or do I use the existing setup in that area? help - I'm clueless :smile:
(I guess I'm talking about the bit that guides the gearstick - or am I describing the linkages?) :smile: sorry, but at least I am openly naieve! :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chilliedog on 2001-08-10 04:55 ]</font>
Chilliedog
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Project on Fri Aug 10, 2001 9:47 am

Chilliedog, for the time being you can keep the existing kit without any probs as far as I know - my 5-speed box and 4-speed shifter combo's done around 5-6,000 miles now.

Good practice would be to replace the clutch, clutch release bearing and gearbox mount rubber bushes when you do the conversion, and you'll need a tub of LM grease from Halfords.

HTH - Al
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby Chilliedog on Fri Aug 10, 2001 9:51 am

how much for that tho st?
as mentioned in other topic, my funds really are sparse, and today i may have let myself in for a payment of at least £60 to get my vibrating brakes fitted. :sad:
I want money!!! :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chilliedog on 2001-08-10 09:56 ]</font>
Chilliedog
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Project on Fri Aug 10, 2001 7:18 pm

Phone a motor factors for prices. Don't go to Halfords for that sort of kit - stupid money!
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.