Grooved discs much better?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Grooved discs much better?

Postby heeman10 on Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:46 pm

I just wondered if grooved discs gave a noticeable improvement over the standard components? If so, do they purely perform better in brake-fade situations, or are they more effective under normal braking? If they're worth it, I'll upgrade next time my discs need changing :)
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby voorhas on Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:00 pm

I've had grooved discs (ATE Power Discs) on my last car (mk3 D) and I didn't like them very much. They made a bit of noise under braking and ate pads @ an scary rate. The braking was ok, but no better than it was when I had the "original" and very warped discs.

If you want a piece of advice from my personal experience, the best "mods" you can make to the Ds braking system is getting vented discs (and the assorted calipers, of course) and have a brake fluid change. Most Ds around here are poorly looked after and the fluid is usually as old as the car.

Gonçalo D.
voorhas
Poster
Poster

Postby heeman10 on Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:02 pm

Right, thanks for the advice. I was wanting to go down the vented route, but it was looking to be a pretty expensive conversion, disks and calipers cost quite a bit, was gonna be around the £100+ mark I think anyway. I thought the grooved discs must munch away a bit...would only put costs up :rolleyes:
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby 16VSi on Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:20 am

I had 3G 20GR Discs (20 grooves) with EBC Greenstuff pads and the braking was so much better. I then changed to EBC TGD grooved and spot drilled discs, and these were crap, braking was awful and they warped after less than a month. Gone back to 3G again, would recommend these to anybody. They are actually Brembo discs machined by 3G, they even machine all the discs for Saab.
16VSi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby fiesta_fras on Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:09 am

stick to plain discs, i have had drilled setups, grooved setups and plain, and plain is best! with fast road pads

look at the focus RS, cosworth etc, millions spent on R+D if drilled or grooved was a good idea they would use them, they arent shy about the braking as they use superb calipars so if the discs could be uprated they would.

only discs worth having drilled grooved etc is ceramic ones, these cost around £650 a set, and are fitted to high class mercs and the like.

a fast road car even if used on the track a few times a year will not need 'racing' discs, best upgrade ur brake lines and flulid. much cheaper
RIP Robert Martin - Rob - Elm_us
fiesta_fras
Elite Poser
Elite Poser

Postby 16VSi on Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:21 am

fras: Me and you have been having discussions about discs and pads since November.

Sometimes I think it is down to personal experience and there is no right or wrong answer.

I take your point about the Focus RS, but my car did seem to perform better brake wise with grooved discs and EBC greenstuff pads, than it did with standard discs and pads.

Also I have found braking with the EBC TGD discs awful, but others recommend them highly.

I am glad you have found a braking set up that you are happy with and that is right for you. A near standard set up is probably cheaper and offers less problems in the long run.

What fast road pads are you using at the moment then?

Thanks
16VSi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby fiesta_fras on Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:33 pm

ebc greenstuff mate

drilling is poor, makes discs crack and was only invented by racing teams reducing rolling weight on the drivetrain,

grooving is slightly better but has no real purpose unless the grooves vent all the way to the edge of the disc, still you would never need to vent the gasses on a fast road fiesta. EBC greenstuff wear indicator which is in the disc would vent the gasses far better than any grooved disc.

grooving and drilling great for looks but in reaility all they do is take away valuable braking surface

read up a lot on this now.
RIP Robert Martin - Rob - Elm_us
fiesta_fras
Elite Poser
Elite Poser

Postby 16VSi on Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:31 am

I think the only reason some of us have drilled and/or grooved discs is for aesthetic reasons, because they do look good behind a set of gleaming alloys.
16VSi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MtY on Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:35 pm

i think 16vsi is right.
i guess you will only notice substantial differences if you do everything. and you run your car ragged,
its down to personal taste which to go for, everyone brakes differently. so thats why different setups work better, for different drivers.
but looking at the design of grovved discs, every time the pad goespast one groove, its gonn take a little bit more off, so its just like grinding away at the pad, although this does make a cleaner braking service, maybe it is a bit ott :-?
MtY
Poster
Poster

Postby snake on Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:40 pm

drilled is waste of time, and prone to cracking, only decent ones are ones with holes made while they are bein cast, also reduce amount of pad to disc contact. Grooves yes, stops brake fade, stops the pad from glazing over, use max 8 groove for road cars, anymore is overkill and u just reduce the amount of contact between pad and disc.
snake
Trainee Burger Flipper
Trainee Burger Flipper

Your car: ford

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:01 pm

I wont use EBC stuff anymore! The grooved disks fill up with brake dust and become useless. The kevlar pads work hot and warp std disks very easily.
I am returning to either Mintex or Ferrodo pad with std disks.
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby davy on Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:19 pm

have used tarox grooved with ebc greens in the past and noticed a huge improvement. pad wear is good and would say lasted nearly long as a standard set.the fact that the disks had grooves probably didnt increase performance that much, its the material that the disks and pads are made off which makes the difference.
davy

davy
Post Master
Post Master

Postby fesyturbo on Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:35 pm

I have EBC TGD discs on my FRST and they are s**t, when i brake the steering shakes like crazy warped discs i think, gonna try standard items again to see if the problem is elimated! :-?
fesyturbo
Poster
Poster

Postby Project on Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:32 am

<< I need to put something here, yer? >>
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby GavStyli on Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:28 pm

ive got black diamond combi grooved and drilled disks, theyve been on for about 20,000 miles and ive been thru 5 sets of pads !!
GavStyli
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta Turbo

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.