Have i messed up my timing?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Have i messed up my timing?

Postby OrionZetec on Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:34 pm

Hi
Just changed my cam belt and im now getting a mettallic pinging noise from the engine like its pinking. Have i messed up the timing when i changed the belt?
Can i just put the cam locking bar back on the end of the camshaft, losen the camshaft pully (with holding tool) and turn the exhaust cam slightly until the bar fits back perfectly? Or does the whole belt have to come off again?
I think i know where i went wrong but as it was my first attempt i expected to go wrong somwhere. Oh well, learn from your mistakes!
OrionZetec
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby edders on Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:40 pm

what youve probably done is fubared up your timing and that metallic noise is your valves hitting the pistons. reset your timing and take it down to somewhere that knows fords well you know like ford or if your up to it take off your head and check your valves cos theres a chance that youve battered the valves and pistons
8 slices, 4 Sandwiches.
edders
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Terror on Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:41 am

Hi...

Yes, sounds like that's whats happened to me too,you must of been slightly out, but thats all it takes, jeees youve got guts doing timing on a running car for a 1st attempt, ive done it lots of times at college on non-running engines, & I wouldn't like to do it for real yet, because get it wrong - & youve got a bigger job on your hands...I hope we're wrong about this, but doubt it. :(

daz.
Terror
Poster
Poster

Postby JayC on Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:51 am

ive gotta do the timing on my 2.0 soon, how do you think you done this [ERRR] unless you was out by teeth it should have gone back as it was?

you sure you got the sump marker lined up?.. its a bit jippy best to use a guage to check down the bore.

did you loosen the cam sprockets at any time after removing it from the otherwise healthy setup?

maybe you used the wrong marker on the crank pulley? theres 2 and when turning clockwise, its the last mark to line up.. not the first..

im only pushing what it could be because ive never done the timing either.. but i seem to feel a bit more confident than this guy above me, and he goes collage :S im not knocking you bro.. just considering if im not taking this job seriously enough or not, or being over confident..

am i missing something?
Project62 ~ my baby
2Liter Fiesta Si Thread:)
JayC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby harris-hpe on Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:36 pm

Hello there,

So you have changed the cam belt and it still runs but has this funny metallic noise?

If so the chances of the valves touching the pistons are very small because its still running right

Best bet is ignore the mark on the bottom pulley and either stick a screwdriver down the plug hole of cylinder 1 (or if you have the equipment then use a proper gauge) until its at TDC on the compression stroke. If your not going to take the belt back off then it is important that its on the compression stroke i.e. both valves shut on that cylinder. Once you have done this then it is fine just to loosen off the cam pulleys to get the correct timing via your locking bar.

Hope this helps, you're not far off! :P
harris-hpe
Poster
Poster

Postby Percy! on Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:49 pm

Going to say I timed an engine having never done it before and it was fine.

When you say you are getting this noise, how long has it been running for, did you fully oil the cams etc before you put it back together? Could be a lack of oil in the head which will sort itself if it idles for a short while.

For checking make sure the engine is at TDC as mentioned then put the cams in with the locking bar. Job Done.
Percy!
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Citreon

Postby OrionZetec on Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:27 pm

All Sorted :)
Just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone who replied :) Especially Harris.
Turns out the cam timing was slightly out. After changing the postion of both cams i can now say all is well.
Im glad i did it as ive learnt a lot :) Not that hard as long as youre careful. Word of advice though is avoid draper zetec timing bars. Theyd be fine if they were bare metal but theyve coated em in black paint which makes it a pain to use.
OrionZetec
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Terror on Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:34 am

hi...

Glad you got your engine timing sorted out, thought you was off abit with it, lucky it wasn't more than abit...

compulsion60, lol, yeah well, its not a hard job to do, in fact its quite easy, as long as your carefull & take your time, it's just I personally wouldn't try it on a running car yet, I know I can do it, on DOHC & OHC engines easily, it's just I know if I got it wrong - well everyone knows what happens when you turn the key,lol... :o

daz. :Q
Terror
Poster
Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.