HCS

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Re: HCS

Postby Makaveli on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:45 am

hb69 has the best idea if you want to go faster in the real world spend money on decent tyres (stick with small wheels) and making sure the brakes are in good working order and strip out as much weight as you can, maybe even invest in some 2nd hand uprated suspension. This is what I did with my 1.1 (all those moons ago) when I was 17, it still wasn't a quick car but I gave it death every where and had great fun. The advantage of decent tyres, stripping and well serviced brakes is none of it will increase your insurance premium as there not seen as mods (stripping is a bit dodgey with some companies but you can always claim it was missing and you never realised it was meant to have rear seats :lol: )
Makaveli
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hb69 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:44 pm

white diamond :Iv got a K&N which i bought from halfords for £15 :wink: Now i need to get the crank case filter! I have a garrat turbo off a mk3 astra van 1.7 and i can get a manifold made for my car so one day i will try the turbo with a de comp plate see if it will actually work! what else would i need to do? Increase the fueling? Will need a custom inlet plenum?

I cant even see it making positive boost to be honest, i dont think the hcs produces enough power to spin a turbo.The fuelling would need to be adjusted to match the increased air flow.
Take my word for it, the best modification you can do is strip the car, sort the handling and brakes. Then you have something that can handle and will stop well too.Without the extra weight its amazing how much more fun the car will be.
hb69
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta 1.1 LX

Postby SiZT on Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:00 pm

as much as the lad is going over his head..... 1.3's, not tuneable?? :o :o

search for information on 1.3 BDT's! alright, I know only the blocks the same but thats impressive power now, let alone back then.

as far as turbo'ing, White Diamond, what do you know about engines in general? More specifically the fueling and ignition process and how this would change with the addition of positive air pressure
Ratspeed :Maybe Wardy257 has a magazine article on it................
SiZT
Poster
Poster

Postby white diamond on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:20 pm

Whats a 1.3 BDT :-?
old fords never die...............they just get faster!!!!!
white diamond
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Ruishy1 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:53 pm

white diamond :Whats a 1.3 BDT :-?

Its an old ford engine based on the crossflow, it ranged from the 1.0 BDA to the 2 litre BDTE used in rallies, very high horsepower for the capacity, the 1 litre made 150 bhp IIIRC.
But the HCS is nowhere near as tuneable as these engines.
And as for the turbo idea, you cant use a diesel charger on a petrol engine, its not designed to cope with the gas flow and heat of a petrol engine.
Ruishy1
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby white diamond on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:15 am

ahhh rite!! il just stick with the idea of a zetec engine then
old fords never die...............they just get faster!!!!!
white diamond
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby dontpannic on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:15 am

white diamond :ahhh rite!! il just stick with the idea of a zetec engine then

I'm sorry, but attempting to turbocharge a 1.1 HCS Petrol with a Diesel turbocharger always was a stupid idea.

There is absolutely no point spending over £50 attempting to tune a Ford 1.1 HCS engine, you won't get the power gains you think you get and to be honest the money would be better spent elsewhere (booze, fags and drugs!). Its very well documented how to perform a Zetec conversion and that is the ONLY way you will see decent gains in power. As Henry has said, stripping the car out will make it feel much faster due to the power to weight etc, but at the end of the day it's still a 59bhp engine!
dontpannic
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta ST / Saxo VTS track car

Car: 2007 Ford Fiesta ST

Previous

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.