Heat wrapping charge carrier?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Heat wrapping charge carrier?

Postby Ratspeed on Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:58 pm

Has anyone done this? On my RS1800 i have the charge carrier off an S1 and after a good drive it gets VERY hot, too hot to touch. Just wondered if its a done thing to get inlet temps down.
Ratspeed
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Mk1 pop plus & Focus ESP

Re: Heat wrapping charge carrier?

Postby Ruishy1 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:44 pm

wrapping it will actually make things worse, at it will keep the heat IN !!!

You need fins or extra surface area to dissipate the heat :wink:
Ruishy1
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby hb69 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:10 pm

I wouldnt have thought an s1 crossover pipe would be ideal for a zetec,does it rest on the cam cover? Then again the normal zetec crossover isnt great either. Heatwrapping it may make a difference, but not as much as better designed induction pipework would
hb69
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta 1.1 LX

Postby Makaveli on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:34 pm

I don't think it'll make it worse as the air inside the carrier will be cooler than rocker cover. I think you'd see a bigger improvement from making the air going in as cold as possible (i.e. good cold air feed) as the air within the pipe should be moving quickly any way and therefore have very little time to absorb the heat.

It does baffle me why ford insist on running its intakes over the top of the engine, such a shoddy design. For a better set up you have a couple of options: 1. Fit throttle bodies (very expensive but awesome) or 2. Fit a rover inlet mainfold like some of the zetec turbo boys do and possiblely work out a way to fit a scuttle located air feed/filter.
Makaveli
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Ratspeed on Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:06 pm

Makaveli :I don't think it'll make it worse as the air inside the carrier will be cooler than rocker cover. I think you'd see a bigger improvement from making the air going in as cold as possible (i.e. good cold air feed) as the air within the pipe should be moving quickly any way and therefore have very little time to absorb the heat.

It does baffle me why ford insist on running its intakes over the top of the engine, such a shoddy design. For a better set up you have a couple of options: 1. Fit throttle bodies (very expensive but awesome) or 2. Fit a rover inlet mainfold like some of the zetec turbo boys do and possiblely work out a way to fit a scuttle located air feed/filter.

I've got the air filter Right behind the headlight with some ducting (cold air feed), and another feed one at the bottom of my bumper just behind the splitter.
Now i'm not saying there was a problem with the way the car runs when its hot, i just thought some wrap would get rid of some heat soak from the rocker cover. I would love a set of bodies, but at the mo the mrs is jobless, so i'm trying not to waste much money.

Any way, heres how it stands at the mo:

Ratspeed
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Makaveli on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:36 pm

Very tidy looking engine bay there mate. As I said in the first part of the post I think some heat wrap would give you some marginal improvement. The rest was just my musings on alternative set ups that would solve the fundamental problem of passing the intake over the hot engine. Sorry i like to ramble :lol:
Makaveli
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Ruishy1 on Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:51 pm

Rather than wrapping, i would isolate the heat sources from the inlet to cool down your charge temps
Ruishy1
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Ratspeed on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:18 pm

I think a 90 degree from the TB then a 45 deg then a straight pipe to put the filter behind the head light maybe. i'll have a looksy

Cheers for the feedback guys :)
Ratspeed
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby G-Muzzy on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:39 pm

i read somewhere earlyier (possibly on a different forum) that they had the charge carrier moddified to fit the zetec cam cover (looked like it had been flattened underneath) .. if that makes sence. dont no if yours is the same but i had an idea that instead of wrapping it u could just put a strip or 2 of the heat wrap in between the cam cover and the carrier, therefore you cannot see it from above, and also does the job of keeping heat away :)

just an idea tho, might not even work lol

Grant
G-Muzzy
Poster
Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.