Help tuning with my Mk3 fiesta!!!

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Help tuning with my Mk3 fiesta!!!

Postby Fiesta_Dan on Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:06 pm

Hey,

Ive got a 1994 Mark 3 1.3i Fiesta and need some help! ive just bought a 2005 Focus and want to "do up" my little feista as a little project, but ive been looking on the net (which was useless) and came across this forum. I would like to know what performance accessories are compatible with my car (apperently not much from what ive found).

Wasnt looking to do much or spend much, quite tight on money now i bought my new car. Was looking for induction kits, maybe a turbo if possible? tbh any suggestions to what i can do would be great as well!

thanks

Dan
1994 Ford Fiesta Mark 3 1.3i Sapphire 5door, in radiant red......absolutly mint!
Fiesta_Dan
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Re: Help tuning with my Mk3 fiesta!!!

Postby Chris 2i on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:10 am

No point tuning the 1.3 mate, you'll see a better return for less outlay by fitting a larger engine.

There's plenty of guides for various mods in the guides section, it'd be a good starting point.
Chris 2i
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fiesta_Dan on Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:06 pm

hey, im not doing it to make it a fast and what not, im just doing it for abit of fun. just like to know what sort of engine modifications can i do, what parts would i need? i realy dont have a huge knowledge of engines, but i do know a fair bit. just like some ideas and help.

Whats the best way to get rid of rust and dents( where stupid people open there does into the side of your car!!!!!) out?

im having a problem with the engine at the mo, it seems to not be idling properly, but im not sure. When i first start it its fine then when start driving and have to slow down to stop the car will just cut out. which is getting really annoying! ive noticed a power loss aswell, does anyone know what the prob can be? cause at the start of each gear the isnt much power then all of a sudden there it is! its a real pain as my mate with a 1992 Fiat PANDA with a1lt engine can keep up with me no problem, which is embarassing as i have a younger and bigger engined car! any ideas on what i can do would be great!

Thanks

Dan
1994 Ford Fiesta Mark 3 1.3i Sapphire 5door, in radiant red......absolutly mint!
Fiesta_Dan
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Chris 2i on Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:27 pm

ok that's fair enough, I wouldn't recommend much more than a replacement panel filter (not the K&N cone type) and a backbox though. Anything more and you'll be throwing £££'s at mods that'll see fractions of bhp gains. Even the filter and exhaust are a waste of time imo, but I suppose it'll make the engine breathe a little easier. The 2 litre conversion is highly recommended though, it's cheaper to do than you might think and will see at least a 100% increase in power over the standard 1.3...

If you insist on keeping the 1.3, I'd start by giving it a full service - replace all the fluids and change the spark plugs and HT leads at least. It's amazing how much difference this makes on a low-power engine like that.

However I reckon you'll get the most fun from it by making it handle well, so look to get a decent suspension kit, polybushes, strut braces and the like to tighten it all up, then get it set up by a pro and you'll have a right laugh on the twisties.

You don't say how much you're looking to spend though - if it's something you want to put quite a lot into then I recommend you do nothing until you're sure it's not hiding a load of rot.

As for your cutting out problem, I can't help I'm afraid. Stick a post in the tech forum and someone might be able to advise...
Chris 2i
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby dontpannic on Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:39 pm

Cutting out problem happened on my parents old MK3 1.3, would just cut out at junctions (only during winter though). Unfortunately nobody could solve it - it went to numerous garages, Ford and all sorts and nobody was able to figure it out.

Echo what Chris said though, a real learning curve is an engine replacement, but before you start modifying it, make sure there is no rust/rot - the amount of projects that are given up and scrapped because the person didn't check before starting the project!
dontpannic
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta ST / Saxo VTS track car

Car: 2007 Ford Fiesta ST

Postby Fiesta_Dan on Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:46 pm

wow thanks guys! nice advice!

well chris how much would all that you said roughly cost? just as an idea and this 2lt conversion? how much would that be?

just got back from work and it cut out once when i pulled up to a junction. it started no problem! its really annoying. ive changed the spark plugs going to try the HT leads next, and what have i got to look for in rot? just the engine or the whole car?

anything else you can suggest about fixing the cutting out problem, i think the choke isnt to well, sometimes when i start it, it does nearly cut out but then will pick up, will do it till i rev the engine for abit. any ideas??

would you suggest getting an XR2i engine? cause i would love to have it as a fun little beast to drive lol

Thnaks guys

Dan
Fiesta_Dan
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Chris 2i on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:19 am

It's difficult to put a price on stuff as it all depends on how much of a bargain you get and how much work you do yourself.

Fitting a 2 litre can cost very little, but as I said, the cost depends on many factors. However you've only got to look in your local rag to see how much 2 litre Mondeo's go for...

As for fitting it, I wouldn't take it to a garage as they'll rape you for labour costs. It's not as hard as you might think though, and there's always advice on here.

There are a couple of guides to fitting them, but both of them start with different engines to yours. They should still be useful though:

http://www.fiestaturbo.com/forums/1-6-8v-cvh-2-0-16v-zetec-engine-conversion-new-06-04-07-vt92943/
http://www.fiestaturbo.com/forums/2-0-zetec-into-1-6-si-full-conversion-guide-vt58354/

I would go for the Mondeo 2 litre over the XR2i engine, mainly because the 2 litre has slightly more power and is 5 insurance groups lower (group 9 as opposed to the 2i's 14) This will make quite a difference when it comes to insurance...

As for the suspension bits, you can spend as much as you like - just keep your ear to the ground and you can pick up some right bargains. (Parts for sale on here is a great place to nab some cheap bits)

Also keep reading the members gallery posts, these will give you some inspiration. Also it helps to find out what works and what doesn't.

As for rust, best thing to do is rip out the carpet so you can see the floorpan. Check the wheelarch inside the car in the footwells as these often rot through due to dirt building up behind the wheelarch liner. Also check the seat mounting bolts, very common to go here. Rear suspension struts can go, and these are a difficult repair. Around the windscreen is prone, especially in the bottom corners. Pull off all the door seals too as they tend to rust underneath (don't forget the boot seal too). The sills, wheelarches and valances are prone due to being right next to the road, and finally the fuel filler cap - don't believe the flap type is immune to it because it's just as bad, it simply hides it better!

As for the cutting out, I had rough running problems when I had my mk2 1.1 Fiesta - I called out a mobile engine tuner and he worked wonders on it - only cost me £50 too. Might be worth a try as the bloke who did mine was really passionate about getting it running perfectly...
Chris 2i
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby SiZT on Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:00 pm

try changing the Throttle Position Sensor and give the loom to the TPS a check over, this might cure your cutting out problem. Its a common thing on HCS's
Ratspeed :Maybe Wardy257 has a magazine article on it................
SiZT
Poster
Poster

Postby trecoll on Thu May 01, 2008 8:13 pm

It can't be common, espescially as there cable driven throttles :P (IIRC)
trecoll
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Andyfloss03 on Fri May 02, 2008 12:17 pm

with your fiesta .....i also have a 1.3... its getting a 2.0ltr in it when i have the money but first i made it look better i.e SI or TURBO kit then exhaust...and a new filter sevice etc...straight thru sounds nice. then i lowered it on coilovers with strut braces and ARB.

my friend has a 1.8 focus but cant touch me on the country lanes...in 3rd belting round his pitches and rolls all over the place mine is like a little dart....just dissapointing on the straights but its a 1.3!! 2.0 next on the menu

( youll be suprised how much the suspension changes the car..tis brill)
Andyfloss03
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fiesta_Dan on Sun May 04, 2008 12:45 pm

hey,

im giving up on the idea of tuning my fiesta, too much work needed to keep it in good nick, so im gona sell it and im thinking of buying an XR2i or an RS Turbo? what would be the best way to go? i do prefer the XR2i with a 1.8 engine, but then the RS Turbo has alot more HP without trying, but then the XR2i is cheaper to buy and insure, but im not sure! lol what would you guys get?

Mind you im very limited on cash at the moment having just bought a 2005 1.8 TDCi Ghia Focus! i can prob strecht to a grand, if i sell my lil beast soon, maybe abit more.

Thanks for your suggests about my poor lil mk3 but it will cost about a grand to get in good working order(and thats without any performance parts!!)

Dan
Fiesta_Dan
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.