Help with Fiesta mk3 Brake upgrades

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Help with Fiesta mk3 Brake upgrades

Postby funkdude2 on Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:09 pm

Hello there,

Im pretty new to this site, so please excuse any stupid questions.

I tried to search the forums but had no luck in finding an answer.

I have a mk3 Fiesta , 1.3L version. I have recently put 15" alloys on.

Im lookign for a brake upgrade as my mechanic said my brakes are in FINE condition, just not good brakes in general.

Any advise on what I can do. Im guessing new pads and discs up front, but any recommedations?

I've seen there is a rear conversion to discs but it's very pricey, and wondering can you just upgrade the fronts?

Thanks,

Scott.
funkdude2
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Oranoco on Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:23 pm

If you're not going to go mad with your engine I would recomend a set of vented discs and calipers from an Si/XR or RS if your discs are currently solid. These should bolt straight up with no messing and when used in conjunction with a quality pad like Mintex 1144 or Ferodo DS2500 with fresh DOT4 fluid should be a vast improvement. You don't need discs on the back fella so don't even start to worry about that.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby funkdude2 on Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:45 pm

thanks lovely, thanks for your reply.

you mentioned new discs and calipers, and quality pads with new fluid.

Coudl you point me the right direction where ot get these as dont want to buy wrong things.

Whats the cheapest option, could I simply get quality pads with vented discs? do i need new claieprs?

How much would all the above items cost.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Scott.
funkdude2
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Oranoco on Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:54 pm

You will need to change the callipers to change from solid to vented discs as the vented disc is thicker do check you don't already have vented discs though as I've seen a couple of 1.3's with them

Callipers £40 2nd hand (parts wanted/for sale on here or any breakers yard)
Discs £70 new (any motorfactors)
Pads £40 new (Adverts in Fast Ford/Performance Ford)
DOT4 £10 (any motorfactors)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby funkdude2 on Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:08 pm

ok great. are the calipers a certain size.. or can i just ask for si calipers?

Concerning the discs.. could you recommend some vented discs.. or are standard si ones fine? do they come with the calipers to suit? And what size shall I go for, or is there a standard size

Concerning the pads... do i need the pads made for xr2i? or just type that part number into google.

I am sorry about my confusion, not to hot concerning brakes with a car.

Scott.
funkdude2
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby funkdude2 on Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:20 pm

Hi there, been looking around and found the pads fine.

But the calipers and vented discs, can I buy these from a website, as a package?

Scott.
funkdude2
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby funkdude2 on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:25 am

Hi there,

I have been looking around a bit and doing a bit of research.

Could I just purchase the new fluid and new pads, the Ferodo ones, and put them on my original discs.

Would I see a noticable difference this way?

Scott.
funkdude2
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.