How do I fit a cossie fuel pump?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

How do I fit a cossie fuel pump?

Postby muffking on Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:50 pm

Now we'll say for arguments that my car is a FRST as everything that's relevant is the same.

I have a Grp'N cossie fuel pump which i'm going to have another go at fitting inside my tank (I don't think I fitted it right the first time).
Now it's about 2 or 3 times the size of the original in-tank fuel pump so I won't be able to simply fit it in place of the old one.

My question is.....How to you sit it in the tank (or swirl pot) so that it is able to suck fuel all the time, as it's laid on its side at the mo and can't suck the fuel in when i'm going round bends :oooh:
-----------------
Image FOR SALE
MuffKing.SexInstructor@ntlworld.com
muffking
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby xrsi on Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:12 pm

the way i fitted mine mate was to drop the tank, take the old one out, and simply put the new pup in the place of the other one and put it back in the tank!
xrsi
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI

Postby fiesta_fras on Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:17 pm

u make it sound easy xrsi :)
RIP Robert Martin - Rob - Elm_us
fiesta_fras
Elite Poser
Elite Poser

Postby oriont on Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:09 am

i think muffking is using the cossie bosch one that the whole bottom of the pump is the suction for it and it will not fit the craddle of the stander pump.
you are surposed to buy with it the fitting kit which has instructions and some straps so that it can be fitted (not very well).
its a case of trial and error untiil its right i think.
thanks
oriont
oriont
Poster
Poster

Postby nigel on Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:57 am

you have to align the pump so that it only just fits through the top hole and rests just off the bottom of the swirl pot
it takes a bit of time to get it just right

instead of spending loadsa money on the fitting kit all you need is a couple of jubilee clips and a length of fuel hose
nigel
Post Master
Post Master

Postby muffking on Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:09 am

Good guess mate it's the Bosch one, I should have said that to start with :o

What I have done so far is to fir a rubber hose around it so it doesn't start knocking around in the tank, and i've laid it on its side at the bottom of the swirl pot. I've then used a fuel hose to joint it to the metal fuel line at the top of the tank.

My main 2 problems are that when fuel goes dows to 2 third of a tank, the damn thing starves of fuel, so surely I can't have mounted it corectly. The other problem is that there was no room for the float on the sender unit, so I now have no fual guage, meaning I have to keep filling up because I don't know how much fuel i've got.

Is it possible to get a more powerfull pump which is similar in size to the original pump like XRSi suggests. If there is then I may aswell fit one of those and save myself some problems.
-----------------
Image FOR SALE
muffking
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby xrsi on Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:00 pm

it was easy!!!

mine fitted into the origional pump housing thingamy whatsit!!

however i fitted it through the bottom of the old housing as it holds it all in place of the origional one taht way so should work the same!
xrsi
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI

Postby muffking on Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:37 pm

The problem is that mine's twice the size and won't sit vertically in the tank 'cos it's to tall. Where did you get yours and what did it cost?
-----------------
Image FOR SALE
muffking
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby xrsi on Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:21 am

matt (ml developments) i got mine from!

is a lucas one and fits in perfectly!

cost somewhere round £80 i think it was, cant remember tho as i brought loads from him that day! lol
xrsi
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.