How do I know if my Mk3 was lowered correctly?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Postby Peter_Longdrey on Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:28 pm

Hi all,

Bought a Mk3 XR2i off my housemate, it was already lowered with 15" alloys and low-profile tyres when he got it. I know camber and stuff can get messed up with an improperly executed lowering job and I was wondering what I should look for to tell if my car is lowered properly or not.

Before my housemate sold the car he had new tyres put on the front, the old ones were fairly well worn on the inside, telling me the camber was a little more than a normal passenger car but that may not mean anything if the XR2i came with some suspension tuning.

so anyway, just wondering if someone can help me out :D

Thanks!
Peter_Longdrey
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby JamieFRST on Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:53 pm

Jack it up and look at the shocks and springs, if its an uprated kit it may say. Lowering springs are generaly painted red, yellow, blue depending on the make, but some are black. If the springs are loose, they maybe cut.
JamieFRST
Keep It Tidy
Keep It Tidy

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby Peter_Longdrey on Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:59 pm

Excellent, thanks! I'll check that out this weekend. I'm just wondering if I'm going to have a history with worn inner tyres with this rig :)

It has stock wishbones, so does lowering typically cause it to have improper camber, or does it not matter?
Peter_Longdrey
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby phils_wicked on Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:26 am

The camber would only be out if its been dropped very low, Ive personaly not seen a car which has suffered from excessive camber due to an aftermarket suspension kit.

Im willing to be corrected on that though. Especialy since I dont know whats been done to the car in the past.

The baldness could just mean the tracking is out.

As mixon said, just see if everything is solid and make sure nothing is catching the tyre.
Image <==== long gone
phils_wicked
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Bollinbrook Kid on Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:33 am

[quote="toecutter"]
[quote]

It will be lower :lol:
"When it comes to hardcore numbers and getting that extra dB, we don't give a damn about all your paperwork, numbers, DUMAX, etc. We simply throw it in the car, and turn it up. If it lasts, it stays, if it dies, we find something else."
Bollinbrook Kid
Post Master
Post Master

Re: How do I know if my Mk3 was lowered correctly?

Postby Bollinbrook Kid on Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:34 am

toecutter :How do I know if my Mk3 was lowered correctly?

It will be lower :lol:
"When it comes to hardcore numbers and getting that extra dB, we don't give a damn about all your paperwork, numbers, DUMAX, etc. We simply throw it in the car, and turn it up. If it lasts, it stays, if it dies, we find something else."
Bollinbrook Kid
Post Master
Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.