how easy to fit new springs?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

how easy to fit new springs?

Postby festafoff on Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:16 am

hello there, im just wondering how easy it would be to fit new spings to my car to lower it around 40mm?

can it be done at home or does it need a pro?

thanks chris

this is my fez standard above, passed in aug, best thing i have every done.1.25 zetec s.
festafoff
Poster
Poster

Re: how easy to fit new springs?

Postby JamieFRST on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:28 pm

Can be done at home if you have right tools, most people would have all the things you need with the exception of spring compressors. You need these to compress the spring to you can take the strut apart, if you dont have them and you undo the strut they fly apart this can be very dangerous. Not a very expensive tool but a must for the job.
JamieFRST
Keep It Tidy
Keep It Tidy

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby marty-the-tool on Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:29 pm

about 20 notes ish for a pair, they're the sort of thing that if you buy them even using them once you will save money and always handy to have even if they only do get used once every couple of years. but as with all safety related jobs, if you are not sure get a pro (at least someone who's handy with cars) to do it, give you a hand, or at least check it over after
marty-the-tool
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby festafoff on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:57 pm

thanks i think i will be giving it a go.

this is my fez standard above, passed in aug, best thing i have every done.1.25 zetec s.
festafoff
Poster
Poster

Postby Oranoco on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:45 pm

Can be done at home if you are competent and have a good set of spring compresors. My brother and I haven't managed to beat our 45mins start to finish yet but we've got a car we are about to have a crack on in a weeks time

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby marty-the-tool on Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:52 pm

is that a side each? i always get 1 siezed bolt dammit! always wire brush and copper slip everything when i put it back together these days, just to make it easier if it has to come apart again!
marty-the-tool
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Oranoco on Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:04 pm

Pretty much although there is often a little mucking about to be done. The rears are loads easier to do, most of the time goes on the fronts

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Andyfloss03 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:43 pm

marty-the-tool :is that a side each? i always get 1 siezed bolt dammit! always wire brush and copper slip everything when i put it back together these days, just to make it easier if it has to come apart again!

Mines at a garage as the bolt got stuck then the head sheared off :rolleyes:

charming
Andyfloss03
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.