[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 191: Undefined array key 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4338: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4339: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4340: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
info on tyres you boys and girls might wanna know : Tuning / Handling / Braking | Fiesta Forums

info on tyres you boys and girls might wanna know

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

info on tyres you boys and girls might wanna know

Postby jayrs on Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:10 pm

How old are your tyres?

A problem that’s often overlooked with tyres is their age. If you drive less than the UK average of 8,000 miles a year, your tyres may well become unsafe through ageing before they ever wear out. Tyres left on the rear of a front wheel drive car are more likely to encounter this problem. Doing just 5,000 miles per year it could take up to ten years to wear the rear tyres out.

Continental is unaware of any technical data that supports a specific tyre age for removal from service. However, as with other members of the tyre and automotive industries, Continental recommends that all tyres (including spare tyres) that were manufactured more than ten (10) years previous be replaced with new tyres, even when tyres appear to be usable from their external appearance and if the tread depth may have not reached the minimum wear out depth.

Vehicle manufacturers may recommend a different chronological age at which a tyre should be replaced based on their understanding of the specific vehicle application; Continental recommends that any such instruction be followed.

Consumers should note that most tyres would have to be removed for tread wearout or other causes before tyre age is a problem. Any statement on removal period in no way reduces the consumer’s responsibility to replace tyres as needed.

The chronological age of the tyres

The chronological age of any tyre can be found on the tyre sidewall by examining the characters following the symbol "DOT".

For tyres manufactured after the year 1999, the last four numbers identify the date of manufacture of the tyre to the nearest week. The first two of these four numbers identify the week of manufacture (which range from "01" to "52"). The last two numbers identify the year of manufacture (e.g., a tyre with the information "DOT XXXXXX2703” was manufactured in the 27th week of 2003).

For tyres manufactured prior to the year 2000, three numbers instead of four indicate the date of manufacture.

Also, during the early 1990’s, Continental added a triangle (◄) to the end of the character string to distinguish a tyre built in the 1990’s from previous decades.

(e.g., a tyre with the information "DOT XXXXXX274◄” was manufactured in the 27th week of 1994).

If in doubt, please consult your local tyre dealer.
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: FRST, XR2, ST170, ST225

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Re: info on tyres you boys and girls might wanna know

Postby MotorcyclesFish on Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Let me guess... you have a set of tyres for sale?

:)
MotorcyclesFish
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: 2004 Z4 3.0i SE

Car: 1984 Ford Capri

Postby jayrs on Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:10 pm

well you know its funny you say that.......

cos i dont :lol: :lol: :lol:
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby j7aoc on Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:06 pm

jayrs :well you know its funny you say that.......

:lol: :lol: Nice info there it's a shame mine never last that long :bonkers:
j7aoc
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Oranoco on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:16 pm

j7aoc :
jayrs :well you know its funny you say that.......

:lol: :lol: Nice info there it's a shame mine never last that long :bonkers:

Same boat here. If my front tyres last more than a year I've done well :lol:

Good info that in large follows what my Dad has often said (30 years+ expererience in tyre research). :Q

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:22 pm

yeah i come across it and i thought it might be a good thing to put up, i ofton wondered where the date stamp was on tyres :lol:
i used to go through front tyres a lot due to spinning, launching etc, but i dont do much had launches now and wheel spinning, well, i grew out of it fairly quick :lol:
my rears on my rs have gt to be 6 years old now maybe even 7 and they got loads of tread on them and be focked if im gunna bin them for the sake of them getting old, ill stick them on the front over winter to get more wear out of them, well i say winter, might be summer when the cars on road :lol: :lol: :lol:

still, shows how important it is to rotate your tyres, well for those of you that dont wear them out real fast anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.