Just a few quickie questions

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Just a few quickie questions

Postby dsfawcett on Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:44 pm

1) what are these "beiges" i keep seeing everybody talking about??

2) whats the diference between throttle bodies and carbs?? Which is better or is it down to personal preference etc etc

fairly new to all this so its all a bit confusing to me lol

cheers guys
dsfawcett
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby eddyrst on Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:10 pm

i can just about anser your first question mate, beige's are the beige colourd injectors and can supplier more fuel than the stock blue ones, i think beige's are needed to stage 2 spec
eddyrst
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jimmyesh on Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:53 pm

Throttle bodies and carbs...

CARBS: as in "twin" carbs basically means you have one "throttle" for each cylinder (on 4 cylinder) so therefore the engine has the potential to flow much more air through the head, therefore more fuel is added too by way of "jets" in the carbs.

Carbs are the old-skool way of n/a tuning but are tried and tested and do the trick, just need to be kept "balanced" and in tune quite often or they go out of their optimum settings and your car runs crap, basically! :lol:
Lots of exprtise needed to set them up correctly and as they vary in choke size, 40,45mm etc you have to choose wisely to suit engine size, spec, cams, cr etc.

THROTTLE BODIES: They are similar to twin carbs in that you end up with one choke per cylinder so lots more power potential :devil: (they even bolt up to the weber dcoe twin-carb inlet manifolds too in the case of jenvey etc) The main big difference is that they run with modern engine management and fuel injectors so are more emission-friendly for modern cars that have stricter mot standards on emissions.

They are also more able to tune more precisely so will maybe get a (little) bit more power but to be honest there's not much power difference between properly set-up carbs or modern 'bodies.

Throttle bodies can also run in "closed loop" with engine management and lambda sensors so will stay in the optimum setting unlike older carbs.

NOISE! Be aware that either of the above make one hell of a racket so think wether it's worth the trade-off if it's your daily driver! - my Rs1800 was hell to live with on the motorway and long journeys when i had my 2.1 connaught lump on 45mm jenveys- i used to get ringing in my ears! :cry:

Good luck mate
jimmyesh
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Yes

Postby dsfawcett on Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:05 am

cheers jim. explain alot.

what wud u prefer. you said you had jenvys (t bodies) wud you in hindsight go for the carbs.

which are cheaper to install/run etc or is there not really any difference between the 2 provided both are set up correctly
dsfawcett
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Gazeddy on Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:15 am

once set up tb's dont need touching again. carbs need resetting up every now and again. last time i check they're about the same cost initially. but it wont stop there once youve been bitten by the bhp bug youll want more and more
1.6 si coming soon
5 Door Register
Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their heads out of car windows
Gazeddy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jimmyesh on Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:32 am

dsfawcett :cheers jim. explain alot.

what wud u prefer. you said you had jenvys (t bodies) wud you in hindsight go for the carbs.

which are cheaper to install/run etc or is there not really any difference between the 2 provided both are set up correctly

Definitely without question Throttle bodies on a modern car the ONLY way I would go!
The main reason for this is that, as mentioned before they stay operating in their optimum range for a lot longer than carbs so you don't lose power/fuel economy all the time (you're gonna need every mpg you can get! :lol: )

I ran my jenvey 45's on DTA management, running in "closed" loop and they were just fantastic -2.1 litres, 220 bhp@7000, 179lb/ft@5000 was mental in my rs1800!

In a heavier car though I would go for turbo/supercharged power for more superior low down torque as my t-bodied engine was a bit "peaky".

Get a decent breather system on your engine too- it will need it.

Like i said before though get some ear-potectors if you go for t-bodies or carbs! :lol:
jimmyesh
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Yes

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.