Just bought a Ferrari

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Just bought a Ferrari

Postby ChunkyMunky on Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:53 pm

Yeah and I have a moped too. :lol: :lol: Only kidding folks. I am, however, shorlty to be the owner of a 1.6 16v Si and have been looking around here for a couple of weeks. Two questions I do have are (and dont laugh too much)

a)Are cone filters loud and impressive?
b)Will this mod make any difference whatsoever to my 0-60 ([ERRR] I don't think so)

Anyway, interested to hear what you all have to say chappies! :-?
There are 3 kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.
ChunkyMunky
Poster
Poster

Postby chumkila on Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:55 pm

A) Depends wot u mean by loud and impressive. THEY ARE louder then the standard filter, yes.

B) Nope.

P.S. Welcome. :wink:
chumkila
Dirty Post Whore!
Dirty Post Whore!

Postby ChunkyMunky on Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:02 pm

cheers for the welcom matey.

Didn't think the filter would do anything for acceleration, don't get nothin for nothin.

I also know that Si's are notoriously un-tunable, much to my unsatifaction :(

However, the wife and kid now mean my life of (real) fast cars and thrills has to rest, for a while........ Not to worry, for a 24 year old, think I've had enough fun for a while 8)

Always liked Fezzy's but never had one due to being an avid VW fan (dont shout). Have had some nippy motors in my short life though :wink:
There are 3 kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.
ChunkyMunky
Poster
Poster

Postby chumkila on Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:08 pm

ChunkyMunky :Always liked Fezzy's but never had one due to being an avid VW fan (dont shout). Have had some nippy motors in my short life though :wink:

I'm a VW/Audi guy to. :wink:
chumkila
Dirty Post Whore!
Dirty Post Whore!

Postby ChunkyMunky on Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:15 pm

Quality.

Thought about going for a Mk2 GTI to play around with, or something sportier but insurance is just too steep when you need to buy friggin nappies every week :x

So you're a Vee Dub man?! Had a VR6 for about 6 months before I blew the engine racing an M3 on the motorway :x He ate me top end but I had some fun along the way. I thought the 2.8 V6 was indestructable, until I pulled off the motorway and my engine started rattling like a bucket of rusty nails, big end dead :( :( :(

Think I've had more cars than hot dinners though :lol:
ChunkyMunky
Poster
Poster

Postby 16VSi on Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:35 pm

I used to have a Mk 2 Golf, I'm quite a big fan of VW's and Audi's too. I will have a Golf VR6 one day, if just for a couple of months because I've always wanted one.

Welcome to fiestaturbo.com I hope you find all the answers to your Fiesta problems (If you have any!!)

I have a 1.6 16V Si, I left the engine completely standard for nearly year and found the perfomance warm, rather than hot.

After a year of ownership the standard exhaust gave up, so I had a full Magnex system fitted (About £225 + £20 fitting). I was well impressed with it, and felt it did improve the performance of my car. Top speed on my private track was about 129mph and more importantly 0-60 came down to about 9.3 seconds. The car revved freely to about 5750 revs and I could get to 65 in second gear.

I've since had a K&N57i kit fitted and yes the induction noise can be quite fun, it does rev louder and sound more 'meaty' but it seems to rev up a bit too quick now. What I mean by this is that the power seems to die at 5000 revs now, top end is down by about 10mph and 0-60 is about the same, as I have to change to third to get to 60 now. It is probably marginally quicker 0-30 or 0-40, than it was before.

I wouldn't recommend an induction kit for this car, for the money it's just not worth it. I'm considering taking mine off and putting the standard air box and filter back on.

Hope this helps.
16VSi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby ChunkyMunky on Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:40 am

Cheers for the reply chum, some good opinions in there. The VR6's are flukkiin mental by the way. I only had mine for about 6 months, but those 6 months I will never forget!!! I had the engine replaced after I blew it up but cost me so much I couldn't afford the bloody thing! Thing is, I bought mine when it still cost about 10K for a good one, now you can get a peach very easily for about 5K with FSH etc etc 8)

I dare say that one day when I'm back to a better paid job, I shall indulge in the V6 experience once more, sept mibby this time I'll go for a Corrado (2.9 V6.... lurrrrrrvly!!!)

Think I might reconsider the filter after your comments, as no doubt my fuel consumption will suffer too, not worth it with the gains (or lack of) you explain. That said, I do miss the roar of a V6 with Ram air inside, but never going to get that with a 1.6 anyhoo :(
ChunkyMunky
Poster
Poster

Postby zetec69 on Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:48 am

16VSi - Your 0-60 came down after fittting an exhaust? How do you time your car?
LoW MoToR
zetec69
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby ChunkyMunky on Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:52 am

Me thinks it would be very difficult to accurately guage your 0-60 time. You would need a road with 0 gradient (+ve or -ve) and start timing from as soon as your clutch engages, not when you hit 2-3 mph. Not an easy task :bonkers:
ChunkyMunky
Poster
Poster

Postby zetec69 on Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:54 am

my point exactly :wink:
LoW MoToR
zetec69
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby ChunkyMunky on Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:59 am

That said, the full system is bound to make some kind of difference, whether marginal or not, so it would be interesting if someone could perform an accurate reading under strict test conditions, just for the record :wink:
ChunkyMunky
Poster
Poster

Postby 16VSi on Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:36 am

Look guys I wasn't claiming me sitting there with my Nike stopwatch was 100% accurate. But I do use the same piece of road and I am consistent in my inaccuracies, thus making the times valid if not entirely accurate. There is a noticeable difference with the Magnex full system, plus Ford no longer supply the standard Si exhaust, they give you one with a 1.5 inch tailpipe, it's still over a £100 and the Magnex has a lifetime guarantee. I rest my case.
16VSi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby ChunkyMunky on Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:48 am

Understand where your coming from buddy. If you always do the test under the same conditions on the same private racetrack ( :lol: ) then even if the actual readings themselves aren't entirely accurate at least the difference between them will be near enough measurable (ish)

So would you recommend the performance air filters, or not? Bit cr@p if they drop your top end man :( But what about that noise :devil:

So was the magnex improvement really noticeable? :-?
ChunkyMunky
Poster
Poster

Postby 16VSi on Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:52 am

The K&N does give a better induction noise, but I personally don't think they're worth the money for the 1600 Zetec.

With the Magnex you're not going to get into your car and notice a massive change, but it is noticeable (marginally) and you do get a great looking, better sounding exhaust with lifetime guarantee, which for me, makes it well worth the money.
16VSi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby ChunkyMunky on Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:00 pm

So, a question to you as a 1.6 si owner - What is the top speen you've had out of the motur (without mods) on the flat (no hills!!) honest answer?!! And (if you can remember) whats your RPM @ 100 MPH.

Also, know anyone who's changed their gearbox and got a good result?

cheers :)
ChunkyMunky
Poster
Poster

Postby 16VSi on Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:05 pm

Top speed with no mods was 123mph, I've since had 129mph but now I've got the K&N I can't get past 120mph, which doesn't really bother me as I very, very, very rarely go above 80.

My RPM at 100mph with no mods was probably about 4800-5000, but that's a rough estimate as it was a long time ago.

I don't know anybody who's changed the gearbox.
16VSi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby ChunkyMunky on Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:14 pm

Thanks for the reply mate :)

I know what your saying about top speeds etc, lets face it 1) It's hard to find a road where its safe to do high speeds without the flash flash and 2) Doing it too often would only burst your engine anyway :D

So, was the RPM affected by mods? What you sitting at @100 now (roughly). If you were starting again with a bog standard Si, what would you do first?
ChunkyMunky
Poster
Poster

Postby 16VSi on Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:34 pm

I'd start with a FRST!!! Seriously if I started again, I go straight for the Magnex full system and leave the K&N 57i on the shelf.

I don't know what RPM I'll be at for 100mph, I'd guess about 5200, I'll check when I'm next on my private track. The Magnex didn't noticeably affect the RPM but the K&N did, the car seems to rev quicker, but not so high, if you know what I mean. It used to rev fine to 5800-6000 revs now with the K&N it sounds like it's over revving after about 5000, and the power just seems to drop right off.

Hope this helps.
16VSi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby ChunkyMunky on Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:01 pm

Thanks again for the info.

I know I'm never going to have loads of power, due to the si being notoriously un-tuneable, but I need to keep the cost of buying, and insuring down as far as possible at the moment, due to baby, own house :( lost my well paid job :( and too much debt to clear off :( I hated the day I waved bye bye to my VR6, but life goes on :(

So, do you miss any of your vehicles from the past? what else u had mate?
ChunkyMunky
Poster
Poster

Postby Mav Singh on Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:36 am

im using a K&N air filter induction kit in me Si, me seen 127mph today on me private track and there was still room left on the rev meter. the K&N definatley makes the car rev faster and inturn i have noticed an increase in performance, and the ability for the car to rev right up to 7k and slightly over with ease. i see 65mph in second gear(seveare revage gives 70mph at around 7200rpm), 90mph in 3rd gear, 110mph in 4th gear and in 5th gear iv seen 127mph today. car needs more torque to get faster topend, but me gonna get a powerchip and magnex and hopefully see faster 0-60 as top end don't bother me much its acceleration im after.
1.6 si
Mav Singh
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: 1995 Fiesta Si 1.6

Postby saqmaster on Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:44 am

K&N's will lose you power.
saqmaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Your car: Focus ST

Postby Low Down And Dirty on Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:04 pm

I found when I put a K&N on my Si I lost power but on the other hand don't compleatly write off filters cause I put a Green Cotton Filter on my car after the K&N and I recon that the power difference was noticable. Another thing that I found was that a full Mongoose system on my car made a difference but no difference compaired to removing the Cat.
Low Down And Dirty
Post Master
Post Master

Location: Andover ish Drives: RS1800 and Overfinched Range Rover

Postby ChunkyMunky on Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:46 pm

cat removal..... had heard this made a difference, wasn't aware that the difference was so noticable :o How much difference did this really make mate? :P
ChunkyMunky
Poster
Poster

Postby saqmaster on Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:50 pm

It's more of a percentage than a fixed power increase figure.. It depends on car.. you could gain up to 10bhp just from dropping the cat..
saqmaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ChunkyMunky on Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:58 pm

Hmmmm... what kind of car do you drive mate? What difference did it make to your performance? You see, the only thing that puts me off doing that is the hassle involved in putting it back on come MOT time :( Just need to figure out whether its worth it. I'll be picking up the Si on Saturday, and will have a few hundred bukka to spend. First thing will be a lowering kit (Springs, not sure about dampers yet), just wondering what to do next :rolleyes: ........
ChunkyMunky
Poster
Poster

Postby saqmaster on Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:30 pm

This is the problem with trying to put a number on individual mods.. The thing that people need to understand that to fix a problem, there is a solution.. certain parts work in certain ways with eachother, which is where a huge number of tuners get stuck on.. They have the mentality of "yeah mate, put this on and get 5bhp".. and unfortunately this mentality rubs off onto the public.. and magazines make it worse..

When you go to people like Ahmed Bayjoo.. or Harvey Gibbs.. they know how engines actually work and what you need to do to various parts to get the power increase you want..

I honestly couldn't tell you what power increase my exhaust manifold gives me on it's own. I can tell you though, for sure, that the performance of my throttle bodies, cams and other mods certainly wouldn't be as effective without the manifold..

Hope that answers your question :)
saqmaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ChunkyMunky on Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:40 pm

Cheers again for the reply m8 :)

So what kind of car do you have then? WHat throttle bodies you use. Oh, and if it's not too much trouble, how much did you pay for each of your mods - supplied and fitted?

As I said, I'm not expecting huge increases in power form this engine, but it's handy to find out what makes a difference (however small) and ewhat's a complete waste of money (i.e. best increase for money etc etc etc...) I dont plan on having this car for any longer than 1-2 years (save up for another golf :D ) - another reason for my wishing to spend as little as possible on heavy mods. Just want to make this as nippy as possible with not too much grief in the process. :)

As you say, different mods give different gains on different cars, and I'm used to engines which are bigger, and more powerful to begin with. Just need advice form peeps who already have these types of cars, so that I dont chuck my money away on a filter (or whatever) if on this engine it's a waste of money :)

Your advice is appreciated :P
ChunkyMunky
Poster
Poster

Postby chumkila on Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:45 pm

i cant believe ppl get 120-130 from their Si's.
chumkila
Dirty Post Whore!
Dirty Post Whore!

Postby ChunkyMunky on Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:52 pm

Not got mine yet, so cant really comment :rolleyes:

Probly a combination of things, 300 miles of road to get there :lol: , a great big hill :lol: Dodgy speedo :lol: or an engine transplant :lol: .

But seriously, my VR6 had to be pushed really hard over 135/140 and thats a 2.8 V6. But in my Metro Gti :lol: I had it right off the clock (130) taking up both lanes of the M-way when I hit any bumps :o (well silly) chasis twisting all over the place, but whos to say I was really doing 130 odd, and not 115/120....? Speedos are soooooo inacurrate!

What I'm sayin is, maybe these peeps think they're doing these speeds, but aren't really??? will we ever know.... :-?
ChunkyMunky
Poster
Poster

Postby Phil Si on Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:22 pm

i find it hard to beleive too chum :)

i got 2.0 on and runnin standard Si gearbox it struggles at 120ish :o and thats reving it some! ....

How's my moderating? Call 0800-U-R-BANNED
Phil Si
Crack Smoker Of The Year 1999

Car: 2000 BMW 330 Ci

Postby ChunkyMunky on Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:36 pm

Only way to get an exact reading of yer top speed would be to kick the sh!te out of the poor thing till you cand get another 1 flea power from it, stick your foot out the door - give a couple of shoves, get your gran to stick her walkin stick out the window and push some more.. when you've done all that, drive past a speed camera... flash flash, wait a few days or so and read the letter - exact speed reading, simple!! Don't think your license will remain in your possesion for much longer though. :lol:
ChunkyMunky
Poster
Poster

Postby Low Down And Dirty on Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:32 pm

I know where you'r all coming from I could only get 118ish out of my Si and she wouldn't have a single MPH more. the only way to get any more topend speed would be to get it to rev higher or change the Box. Engine Mods don't change the gear ratio's in the box like.
Low Down And Dirty
Post Master
Post Master

Location: Andover ish Drives: RS1800 and Overfinched Range Rover

Postby 16VSi on Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:13 pm

Well I promise I've had 129mph from my Si (Cubs Honour!!), that was two years ago when I was young and dumb, I never even try to drive that fast anymore.

I'd sooner have a car that did 0-60 in 7.5 seconds with a top speed of 100 rather than a car that does 0-60 in 10 seconds with a top speed of 130. Acceleration is where it's at, not top end.

I will gladly allow any of you "doubters" to come and drive my Si to it's limits and then you'll see it does over 120, you can have the points and the ban though if you get caught!!! You can also pay if you break it!!!

I just like to add that ChunkyMunky seems like a top guy, and a welcome addition to Fiestaturbo.com, good manners goes a long way with me.

Let me know when you get your Si, I'll try and help where I can if you need any more advice.

Thanks
16VSi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Phil Si on Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:18 pm

lol top end of 100.. tijhnk of the revs at 80 :o be like screaming ... u'd get pants economy :oops:

How's my moderating? Call 0800-U-R-BANNED
Phil Si

Car: 2000 BMW 330 Ci

Postby 16VSi on Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:32 pm

Yeah good point Phil, hadn't really thought of that, doh!!!

Ok to be honest I'd rather have a car that did 0-60 in sub 4 seconds and have a top speed of 190+ but I will have to wait a few more years for the Porsche 911 Turbo.
16VSi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Next

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.