K&N Air Filter

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Postby UHF on Sat Feb 02, 2002 11:47 am

Just bought one of these and rea the instructions, all seems pretty straight forward apart from one thing!!

It just tells you to attach the regulator pipe to the suspension housing to stop it flapping abaout but doesnt tell you what you should stick in the end of it!!!!! Surely you cant just unplug it and leave it with nothing plugged into it!??

Also is it essential to have that flexible piece of pipe go down to under the bumper because it looks really unsightly in the picture that came with it!
UHF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Project on Sat Feb 02, 2002 12:09 pm

Okay, regulator pipe - what does it go to (stupid question maybe :smile: ) - how big is it - couple of mm or 15mm-ish? Usually the K&Ns deal with all the pipes as they have holes in them for the pipes.

As for the flexible hose - do you mean that stuff that's supposed to duct cold air up off the road and you just angle the top end in the general direction of the K&N, or is it attached to it? If it's the former it's not essential (yes it can look like someone's left a hoover in your engine bay).
<< I need to put something here, yer? >>
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby UHF on Sat Feb 02, 2002 3:50 pm

Well on the drawing supplied with the K&N it shows a small 3/4" pipe going into the top of the standard air box at the back, it tells you to disconnect this and just cable tie it to the inside wing or something.

However I looked at my car this morning and i've got the pipe where it says but it doesnt go into the air box box instead goes into a junction box thype thing with lots of other pipes, its only screwed to the air box to save it flapping about.

All that the new K&N has on it is a MASSIVE hole in one end for the main air flow!
UHF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Sun Feb 03, 2002 4:04 am

Your speaking about the MAP sensor that is screwed onto the side of the air box..........DO NOT disconnect any pipes from that. The pipe that should be cable-tied is the pipe coming from the oil breather swirl pot to the air box. As you get rid of the air box it has to be left dangling to the open, but watch out for lots of gunge spraying over the inside of the wing :aaah:

A wee tip for you : get a plastic bottle and tape it to the end of the pipe, but make a hole half way up the bottle for any gases to escape. The bottle will catch any gunge coming out of the breather.

cheers :smile:
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby UHF on Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:13 am

Ahh, that makes sense now, can I get a filter to plug over the end of this pipe instead of a bottle.

For some reason Gooner Boys' RS has a hole in the top of the air filter which someone drilled and the pipe has been shoved into there!!!
UHF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Sun Feb 03, 2002 2:08 pm

I wouldn't put a filter over it as it will eventually block. You should leave the pipe open, thats why i put a bottle over the end to catch the cr@p.

cheers :smile:

Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror

Postby UHF on Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:15 pm

Thats interesting, I fitted it earlier while I was at a mates house, K&N supply a T peice which goes in between the big massive pipe and the K&N, on to which you plug the oil breather pipe!!! seems to me like they've designed it so that the air breather pipe chucks its pooe into the main air pipe so that it goes straight into the turbo, i'm guessing that this is bad but appears to be the way it came!!!!!

The map sensor thing just gets tied up by a cable tie, whats interesting tho is that I found a pipe dangling from the underside of the old square box which was attached near where the oil breather used to attach to the square box under some kind of "litter tray" style thing, I take it this pipe is just used as a drain, didnt appear to be plugged onto anything.

Still, i'm worried that K&N design the filter to accept the air breather pipe on the main intake pipe!

Help! i cant remove the T peice cos the filter wont fit after that, i'll take a pic tomorrow and post in the evening, most weird, must be a new design!
UHF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby UHF on Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:24 pm

Oh and I got some real deep noises coming from the air filter, the kind that make you think that it aint on properly, should they be this loud, i had the exhaust fitted 2 days ago which obviously increased the noise but the air filter appears to make even more noise! is this right? shame I havent been able to push the car as its been really wet here, 3rd gear and wheels spin which is no surprise on standard wheels!
UHF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Mon Feb 04, 2002 12:52 am

You must have the new design. The feed from the breather would go to the air box anyway, so the gunge etc.. will go into the air filter. Why it does this i do not know :???:

Put on the air filter as it should be in the instructions.

Do you have the new heat shield ?

Some pics would be good :wink:

Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror

Postby Disco Biscuit on Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:24 am

To ur answer of is it supposed so sound like this?
YES
:grin:
one of the main reasons cheap ass modders get a air filter first...makes ur car sound PHAT!!!!
just thought i'd let u know...... :Q
Disco Biscuit
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby UHF on Mon Feb 04, 2002 8:29 am

Well i've had the car 6months and only just bought one, was going to leave it, I was after the air filter to improve engine performance, i dont really like the increased noise as I do lots of mileage and it would be nice to drive in peace :smile:

I'll do some pics, but no it isnt the heatsheild version, that costs £180, this is the regular £70 type.

Breather - I know it is supposed to go into the air filter but atleast on the old standard one it went into a litter tray thing on the "dirty" side of the filter and not on the side closest to the turbo :sad:

Hey Disco Biscuit, you seen me around or something, what you drive?
UHF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AdrianFRST on Mon Feb 04, 2002 12:20 pm

Running a k&n cone filter on a turbo car? If so please sell it and get a k&n panel filter, cone on a turbo is poo.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Your car: ..? Pretty car..!

Car: 2010 Ford Focus RS

Postby UHF on Mon Feb 04, 2002 8:48 pm

Wasnt you the guy who was arguing with Sunny about turbos? anyone else got comments on air filters cone vs other on a turbo car.

Anyway, here are the pics, notice how the pipe is already coming off the oil breather cylinder, they made the pipe too big, needs jubilee clip or cable tie. And yes I know I forgot to chop the end of the cable tie off!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UHF on 2002-02-04 19:48 ]</font>
UHF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Project on Mon Feb 04, 2002 9:05 pm

Looks lovely :grin:

Meo1234321 - shut up mate :rolleyes: It's on the car now. Leave him alone you muppet :lol:
<< I need to put something here, yer? >>
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby UHF on Mon Feb 04, 2002 9:07 pm

Well the car is more responsive so i'm happy, the ford air box is massive, if they'd fitted a cone filter instead of the plastic box thing then they might have has room for a t3 out of the factory :grin: :grin:
UHF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:24 pm

Damn!! i forgot how small the FRST K&N filter is :wink:

Pictures speak a thousand words. :grin:

Dont listen to Meomuppet.....i have a cone filter and 128,200+ miles on my turbo and it goes very well :wink:

Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:25 pm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fezzy Turbo on 2002-02-04 22:31 ]</font>
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:26 pm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fezzy Turbo on 2002-02-04 22:32 ]</font>
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror

Postby UHF on Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:26 pm

So good it had to be said twice :smile:

Twice, Thrice dont it look nice, gonna give it larrrrrrge wit me ice!!!

TRIPLE POSTER!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UHF on 2002-02-04 22:28 ]</font>
UHF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:33 pm

Bloody board hung up on me :rolleyes:

Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror

Postby AdrianFRST on Tue Feb 05, 2002 4:53 pm

ok think what you want but this is the reason:

turbo efficiency is increased if pulling from a steady flow, in an air box flow is steady BEFORE being sucked down a pipe and therefore laminar flow is found as it takes about 50 pipe diameters down the pipe for it to become turbulent.
if flow is sucked from air whoshing past or through the filter then is it laminar? no its turbulent already. Thus increase in lag time. That the reason do with the information as you please.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Postby UHF on Tue Feb 05, 2002 4:59 pm

surely the air is made turbulant in any kind of filter as it is passing across the elements in the air filter.

also the air box itself, although has a flat filter in fact has a small hole about 2" in diameter for its supply, which will cause turbulence between the pressure differences inside the box and the outside world, surely the only way to eliminate turbulence is to store the air in a pressurised container :smile:
UHF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AdrianFRST on Tue Feb 05, 2002 5:06 pm

AAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! The "pressurised container" IS the air box, i know it isn't actually presurised but it is sized as to get rid of the turbulence. Why do you think they are there? for a laugh, don't you think ford would just put a nice CHEAP cone on the end?
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Postby UHF on Tue Feb 05, 2002 5:11 pm

thanks for your views but theres no need to go, "AAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!", I'm on here asking because I dont know, if I knew I wouldnt be asking :smile:

I'm a IT Manager by trade and not trained in car type stuff nor has it been my interest until a few months ago.
UHF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AdrianFRST on Tue Feb 05, 2002 5:16 pm

sorry didn't read who wrote it, thought it was that fezzy turbo trying to argue the point. Do you understand what I mean though? It is a bit weird but it is a fact that tuners seem to neglect when building big hp cars, dunno why.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Postby UHF on Tue Feb 05, 2002 5:21 pm

I see your reasoning however the filters are sold for people who want to reduce induction restriction, if what you're saying about turbulence is correct then surely you are increasing lag in exhange for reduced restriction when the turbo has wound up?
UHF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AdrianFRST on Tue Feb 05, 2002 5:29 pm

no not really, its an oriface in the box so not too restrictive anyway, although you could widen the hole a bit. I did the theory in mechanics of fluids (one of my modules) to get the detail, but it was originally Brooklyn Ford Motorsport that told me cones were poo, only found out recently in lectures why.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:18 pm

Me argue ? :wink:

Dont listen to anyone....do what YOU want.

I have a large cone filter on my car and it works, thats why my air box is gathering dust in my garage :grin:

Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror

Postby UHF on Tue Feb 05, 2002 10:33 pm

you have a large cone filter, what kind?

The air box is massive innit!
UHF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Muzza on Tue Feb 05, 2002 10:47 pm

i've got a green one on mine:
it also came with the little green oil breather kit above it :grin:
ImageImage
Newsflash : Jeremy Beadle has a small penis. but on the other hand, it's massive.
Muzza
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby UHF on Tue Feb 05, 2002 10:49 pm

interesting, which kit was that?
UHF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Muzza on Tue Feb 05, 2002 11:08 pm

the company is called green (the oil thingys got a big "G" on it) :cool:
ImageImage
Newsflash : Jeremy Beadle has a small penis. but on the other hand, it's massive.
Muzza
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby UHF on Tue Feb 05, 2002 11:11 pm

Oh I see, I dont like the idea of the oil breather going into my main air intake pipe without atleast being filtered, thing is tho that if you remove the t-peice the filter wont fit on the car without finding a peice of pipe to go inbetween cos both the existing pipe and the air filter need to bite down on something, ala t peice :smile:
UHF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Muzza on Tue Feb 05, 2002 11:19 pm

Ahhhh, i get ya
ImageImage
Muzza
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AdrianFRST on Wed Feb 06, 2002 3:00 pm

Well I agree do what you want but for sure don't listen to Muzza FRST, look at his pic of the engine bay and notice the BLEED VALVE, the mod of a loser, NEVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS FIT ONE OF THESE! THAT IS UNLESS YOU HATE YOUR CAR AND WANT IT TO fudge UP. NO ARGUEMENT THIS IS FACT!
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Next

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.