Lowered on standard shocks

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Lowered on standard shocks

Postby GilesFiesta on Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:27 pm

Is it wise? I was only thinking -35mm springs, will this still knacker the shocks?

Can a car pass an MOT with low springs on standard shocks?
GilesFiesta
Poster
Poster

Postby rankinator on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:45 am

I've gone 40mm on standard shocks and that is the absolute lowest you can do, I probably went too far even :lol:

I think -35mm will be fine, just dont drive like an ass and hammer it at bumps in the road. Go verryy slow over them, you piss off old people behind you and keep your car in check, it's a win-win.
rankinator
Poster
Poster

Postby edders on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:08 pm

if your going to lower it on standard shocks they have to be practically brand new IE not done more than a 1000 miles. if more then theres no point itll just be rough as hell. save up for a decent set of aftermarkets or coilovers.

regarding the mot. if when they jack your car up the springs are out of the cups its an instant fail.no questions asked. no arguments.
8 slices, 4 Sandwiches.
edders
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby hb69 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:29 pm

should be fine with only a 35mm drop, its advisable to have new shocks though. As for the mot, mines lowered 40mm on xr2i shocks, and has passed the mot every year since its been lowered, without any mention of the suspension.
hb69
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta 1.1 LX

Postby GilesFiesta on Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:15 am

hmmm mixed opinions here....atm it seems not a great idea so i'll probably hold off for a full spax kit, with dampers.
GilesFiesta
Poster
Poster

Postby Oranoco on Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:25 pm

Providing the standard shock are in good conditiona nd you stick to a drop of no lower than 30mm it works very well indeed (certainly far better than some so called sports suspension packages). If your shocks are old then no you shouldn't just perform a spring swap. SPAX kit is very good and works well but seems to suffer with being over damped. Great option though if you can't stretch to Koni top adjustables

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby GilesFiesta on Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:26 pm

Well, its only a 1.1, i don't see much point in spending nearly 50% of the value of the car on adjustable suspension.

i'm pretty sure mine are original shocks, and the cars done 69k miles...although no noticeable suspension issues other than being quite soft...although lowering springs won't actually change that will they?
GilesFiesta
Poster
Poster

Postby hb69 on Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:28 pm

robert49 :Well, its only a 1.1, i don't see much point in spending nearly 50% of the value of the car on adjustable suspension.

i'm pretty sure mine are original shocks, and the cars done 69k miles...although no noticeable suspension issues other than being quite soft...although lowering springs won't actually change that will they?

yes, lowering springs will be stiffer and you will feel the bumps in the road more. worth the investment on a 1.1 if only for looks alone.
hb69
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta 1.1 LX

Postby Oranoco on Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:40 pm

At 70k the shocks will be heading well towards the end of their life.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby edders on Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:03 pm

so if you werent planning to replace them it might be an idea to do so anyway
8 slices, 4 Sandwiches.
edders
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jaynottz on Sun May 06, 2007 1:40 pm

my si.s shocks have done 80k and there still solid as a rock so depends how your chariot has been ridden.
jaynottz
Poster
Poster

Postby Oranoco on Mon May 07, 2007 10:21 am

At 80k they are either screwed or they aren't the originals as they only have a life expectancy of about 40k miles

Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jaynottz on Mon May 07, 2007 10:51 am

there originals. the car has only ever had cam belt, lower arms, and full services, all reciepts i have for them. i was suprised but the car has only done motorway miles in its life.
jaynottz
Poster
Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.