lowering compression on frst

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

lowering compression on frst

Postby project_mistral on Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:59 pm

whats the best way to lower the compression on the turbo engine without beaving my wallet empty!

Can i have the block bored out to 1660cc and use larger piston rings? will this be enough or good enough to run 200bhp or so?

can anything be done to the standard pistons to lower the compression?

i dont fancy buying new pistions as this could easily set me back £400!

any help much appreciated.

cheers dan
project_mistral
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ianFRST on Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:50 pm

dunno if you can do that or not 2 lower the CR

thats not exactly cheap tho mate. when i had my 2L rebored, it was about £100 or something. then the cost of new piston rings will be about £75.

then there is all the effort of getting the block out, taking it 2 a machining place etc etc....

do it properly in the 1st place mate, then ya wont regret it in the long run :)

yes, you can skim the top off the pistons 2 lower the CR, not sure how sucessful it is tho :)
No longer a FRST owner, or even a Fiesta owner :(
ianFRST
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby project_mistral on Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:07 pm

the engine is out and on a stand and completely stripped. i have heard that using 2 head gaskets and using low modlus sealant will do the trick and seal them together a good un. what does anyone think? was told this who has race tuned engines all his life and blasted them down the pod.
project_mistral
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby project_mistral on Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:07 pm

the engine is out and on a stand and completely stripped. i have heard that using 2 head gaskets and using low modlus sealant will do the trick and seal them together a good un. what does anyone think? was told this who has race tuned engines all his life and blasted them down the pod.
project_mistral
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby heeman10 on Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:13 pm

Two gaskets = dodgy idea. Get a spacer plate, or a thicker copper multi-use gasket made up I say. Machining pistons isn't a good plan. The material in the piston crown tends to form a good heatsink, so the transfer of heat energy from the combustion process through to the rings is steady and gradual. If you start taking material away, the heat sink effect is reduced, and the rings are put under more heat energy load, which will give them a harder time and reduce their lifespan. In extreme cases you might even melt through the top!!
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby AdrianFRST on Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:01 am

You want to lower the compression because you want to run more boost right?

More boost is more power which requires a stronger engine. The easiest way to weaken a metal object is to decrease it's thickness.

Going on the above, you should be able to determine if machining the pistons is a good idea... ;)

If you can't afford the pistons then either wait until you can or go for more power another way.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Your car: ..? Pretty car..!

Car: 2010 Ford Focus RS

Postby project_mistral on Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:23 am

thanks for all the help im beggining to get the idea, i wanted to, while the engine is out, do everything to the block as modifying the head is easier after the engine is back in the car. the spacer plate sounds like a good idea, i know this is used on the zetec turbo's alot. i want to keep the block as strong as possible, so i guess either new pistons to lower the compression or put the spacer plate in.

yes i want to run more boost abiout 18psi.

thanks for all the help.

dan
project_mistral
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.