Magnex vs Mongoose

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Magnex vs Mongoose

Postby Raymondo on Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:44 pm

I hope to get a cat-back exhaust for my Si sometime soon and after doing a bit of research ive come up with mongoose or magnex. But which one shall i choose?

I want an exhaust i can live with. I want it to be fairly quiet when just poodling around, with a nice purr at idle, but when i put my foot down i want it to open up and roar :D Theres not much of a difference in tailpipes, mongoose has a 3.5" rolled in, magnex has both 3" & 4" rolled in, of which i would go for the 3".

So i would like peoples experiences/opinoins please.

Raymondo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby p4blo on Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:42 pm

I have the magnex system and as other have said, its pretty quiet. At idle its a subtle burble, not much happens up to about 3k, then its sounds really nice imo, carries on all the way up the rev range, but the engine itself sounds a bit whiney at the top end.

As others have said before, they seem to take time to wear in and get coked up, then they start sounding nicer. It also sounds nicer when its hot, but obviously I dont take it to high revs when its cold anyway.

All in all I wouldnt say the Magnex is very loud, but I didnt want something loud and boomy. Its got a nice burble, and opens up nicely above 3k. Quality workmanship too, very pleased with mine.

Mines the 3" inward rolled btw.
p4blo
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Oranoco on Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:57 am

On the 1600 Si mate it will really make next to no difference so just fit the one you prefer the looks/sound of.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby XRMike on Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:33 am

I have a magnex 4" tailpipe cat-back stainless steel system on my XR2i with a 2.0 conversion. As said it sounds very quiet at idle,just being a slight burble but, at full throttle it really opens up and roars,and the sound is spot on. And again as said the build qaulity is spot on. Ive never had anything to do with mongoose so i cant really comment on them .HTH :)
XRMike
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby Raymondo on Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:16 pm

Thanks for that. Looks like the Magnex is exactly what i want. And from the ones ive seen they do look to be of very high quality. Im very picky about what i want on my car and i dont want to spend that much money on something and not be happy with it.

I know it wont make any difference power wise but i want a nice sound.

Anyone have any info on the mongoose systems?

Raymondo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Percy! on Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:01 pm

I had a mongoose on my si and it was spot on, I have a magnex on the VTS which is a bit louder but not overly (compared to most other saxos :lol: )

But with that one car is a saxo so may be different on a fiesta.

Build quality looks about the same on both really.

The is still a full mongoose system available from my 2.0 :wink:
Percy!
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Citreon

Postby joel_winders on Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:11 pm

mongoose any day !
xr2 turbo
joel_winders
Post Master
Post Master

Postby jdfiesta on Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:07 pm

ditto with the above comments about magnex above.
mine sounds nice and quiet, nearly silent, on tickover, but gives a lovely sound when giving it some
JJ
My ebay stuff http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/2.0zetec

Is that the best you can do?
www.volvot5.co.uk - www.germanshepherdsuk.co.uk
2000 V70 T5 SE - 2.3, 5 cylinder, 20V, VVT, Turbo, 250bhp, cream leather, climate control, the works!
jdfiesta
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: V70 T5

Postby fiestasi1800 on Mon May 01, 2006 4:07 pm

I've got a mongoose on mine and would definitely buy another one. Quality is excellent. I think the magnex and the mongoose sound very similar from what I remember. Had mine for over 2 and a half years now and if I polished it all I'm sure it would come up as new.

The tail pipe is the perfect size aswel in my opinion. The 3 inch is a little bit small and the 4 inch a bit big. So the 3.5 is just right :lol:
fiestasi1800
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby neil2802 on Fri May 05, 2006 3:27 pm

Had a magnex on my old 2i, nice system. Tried getting one a couple of days ago for the FRST but sadly they no longer make them, so had to settle for a mongoose.
neil2802
Poster
Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.