Manifold?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Manifold?

Postby unknown_user on Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:29 am

I know i may have asked this before, but is there any inlet manifolds about that will actually match the ports on the 2L zetec engine???
ImageImage
unknown_user
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby chumkila on Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:01 am

To the best of my knowledge no. You will need to speak to the likes of Ian Howell to knock you up a custom made jobbie. His contact details can be attained from http://www.zetecturbo.com
chumkila
Dirty Post Whore!
Dirty Post Whore!

Postby Project on Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:31 pm

As far as I know, the 2L and 1800 heads use the same castings - the 1800 inlet manifold should be fine.
<< I need to put something here, yer? >>
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby chumkila on Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:50 pm

I thought he was askin about Manifolds other than Ford! OOPS!
chumkila
Dirty Post Whore!
Dirty Post Whore!

Postby Phil Si on Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:10 pm

the Si ones on mine matched up.. maybe i was lucky :P :-?

How's my moderating? Call 0800-U-R-BANNED
Phil Si
Crack Smoker Of The Year 1999
Crack Smoker Of The Year 1999

Car: 2000 BMW 330 Ci

Re: Manifold?

Postby paulbaker on Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:07 pm

16V_Si :I know i may have asked this before, but is there any inlet manifolds about that will actually match the ports on the 2L zetec engine???

FYI this is a much misunderstood/misquoted issue re a Si 1.6 to 2.0 Zetec conversion. The Inlet manifolds from the EFI 1.6 inlet tract are a smaller diameter than the ports on the 2.0 Head. I had some discussion with Puma Racing as to whether
a) this would limit perfomance significantly
b) Whether I should grind out the inlet manifold to provide a smooth flow transition from the smaller inlet tract to the larger mondeo inlet ports

The results of this discussion were that a step change in size from small to large would not significantly influence performance. Mark Stewart's web site actually recommends you do that but IMO it's a waste of effort. As to the degredation of perfomance from having a smaller inlet size this is an unknown. Total air flow will be reduced but also the velocity of incoming air is probably increased (Bernouli's theory and all that). Anyway the bottom line is that the expense of having a custom inlet manifold built probably is not justifiable. SO THERE
IT WAS A FIESTA--UNTIL--THE ULTIMATE FEZ BODY KIT!!!

QUANTUM H4--2.0 ZETEC POWER--ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS A NOS KIT

paulbaker
Poster
Poster

Postby chumkila on Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:23 pm

Good points there Paul B however it is only waste of money if you are gona be running low amounts of bhp but if you are going to go for serious power then custom inlet manifolds are the only way to go.
chumkila
Dirty Post Whore!
Dirty Post Whore!

Postby paulbaker on Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:32 pm

chumkila :Good points there Paul B however it is only waste of money if you are gona be running low amounts of bhp but if you are going to go for serious power then custom inlet manifolds are the only way to go.

Thanks for pointing that out my comments were specifically aimed at those going for a standard 1.6 to 2.0 Zetec conversion and with chipping going up to around 160BHP then the 1.6 tract should flow welll enough for that sort of power.

Yes for big BHPs which will really be Turbos since for big N/A BHP then you will junk the inlet tract in favour of TBs anyway you need to think further about how to stuff all the luvverly air in there.

paulbaker
Poster
Poster

Postby Project on Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:00 pm

Si has restrictive inlet strakes on inlet manifold - it's been covered in some depth recently and a search will give you the important highlights.

I can't speak from enough experience on the differences to be able to give a positive answer whether it makes a big difference or not but there is a noticeable physical difference between the 90PS and 130PS inlet manifolds and that makes me wonder why Ford would have bothered to change the design between the two models if it doesn't make a power difference.

Al
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby paulbaker on Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:57 pm

Project ST2000 :Si has restrictive inlet strakes on inlet manifold - it's been covered in some depth recently and a search will give you the important highlights.

I can't speak from enough experience on the differences to be able to give a positive answer whether it makes a big difference or not but there is a noticeable physical difference between the 90PS and 130PS inlet manifolds and that makes me wonder why Ford would have bothered to change the design between the two models if it doesn't make a power difference.

Al

I agree there is a difference in the sizes of the manifolds and I assume Ford don't spend millions in R&D for fun. However there is always a balnce between power and cost and all I am saying is that I was not sure if it id worth the extent of getting an entire custom inlet manifold built for the difference in power that's all. Just to close this off I'd love to know if anyone has any RR figures to support all this. The 2.0 Mondeo Zetec is rated at 136PS (130BHP) with all it's standard bits I'd love to know what it gives using the 1.6 inlet stuff (which is the same as 1.8 in size anyway)

paulbaker
Poster
Poster

Postby Project on Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:08 pm

Just to split a hair Paul, the 1.6 and 1.8 inlet manifolds have different part numbers and are visibly different in size.
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby paulbaker on Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:42 pm

Project ST2000 :Just to split a hair Paul, the 1.6 and 1.8 inlet manifolds have different part numbers and are visibly different in size.

OK I stand corrected--suppose the answer then is get hold of a 1.8 manifold if U can then

paulbaker
Poster
Poster

Postby Project on Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:02 pm

It would be interesting to know if the 1.8 manifold actually makes any difference over the 1.6 manifold.
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby Mexi on Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:05 pm

x-factor can get custom made zetec flowed manifolds :D
Mexi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Project on Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:06 am

Tom, inlet manifolds?????!!
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby unknown_user on Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:12 am

yea for how much, im not going to pay 100s of quids that aint going to make a notice'ble difference!
ImageImage
unknown_user
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.