Many questions about Throttle Bodies

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Many questions about Throttle Bodies

Postby wywywywy on Sun May 02, 2004 4:44 pm

Hi,

After reading Andrian's article about N/A Zetec tuning, I am not very interested in Throttle Bodies... though I have many questions I hope you guys don't mind answering.

1. How much are they and where can be bought? I saw some over BurtonPower but they are over 2k pounds, so I assume they are top of the range and I'd expect normal ones to be about 500?

2. I know the fuel consumption of these are not as bad as twin-carbs, but how good/bad are they? And what about reliability?

3. Can I use any mappable chip (like Unichip) or do I need specifically designed management for Throttle Bodies?

4. What sort of power can I expect from an ordinary Throttle Bodies setup for 130ps 1800 or 130ps 2.0L?

5. Except apparently the Throttle Bodies and chip, what else need to be changed? (providing the car already free-flowing)

6. Any bad points about Throttle Bodies?

7. Anyone got experience to share? :p

8. Any alternatives? (please don't say turbo-charging... seems too much money and work involved)

Many thanks.
Fiesta Mk3 The Complete FAQ
Have a look, and do a search, before you ask anything :)
Project Log
wywywywy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby freak power on Sun May 02, 2004 6:23 pm

I've been running throttle bodies on my car for many years now, my orion ran twin 40's on a 2.0 ZVH but now its got twin 48's on a 2.1 Zetec 16v.

1. Kits from £1800+ with this lot you get everything inc the management, loom, sensors and so on but you do get it fitted or mapped add another £500 to £600 more on top.

2. Reliability is very good, no need to have them set up every 6 months like carbs, Fuel consumption is just as bad as carbs when thrashed.

3. No you need a ECU like a Gems, DTA, MBE, MoTeC, and so on.

4. 15bhp to 30bhp it depends

5. Just the inlet, throttle bodies, ECU, Loom, and Sensors

6. Fuel consumption and the noise thay make, can give you a bit of a headace when going down the motorway.

7. I just have haven't i ?

8. Supercharger? Turbo? :P
freak power
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby wywywywy on Mon May 03, 2004 1:08 am

Thanks freak power :)
I know you've got a mad throttle-bodied Zetec so may I take this opportunity to ask you some more questions :D

1. Price seems to be expensive in terms of bang for bucks... I mean for about 2.5 to 3 grand you can get a low boost T25 pushing around 200bhp. So what advantage(s) do Throttle Bodies have over turbo-charging or super-charging? (or was it actually that the most expensive bit is the management?)

2. Why wouldn't an Unichip work? Why only expensive things work... :cry: Or were the managements you stated actually designed specifically for Throttle Bodies application?

3. How bad is "bad" fuel consumption? Like 15mpg?

4. Do you have links for how Throttle Bodies work (in technical details), things I should know, things I shouldn't do, etc? Sorry I can't find anything constructive on Google.

5. So basically no engine internals need to be changed - can the whole installation be done DIY? Except mapping of course.

6. Where do you buy them?

7. Is there any super-charger kit available for Zetec-E AT ALL?

Many thanks :p
Project Log
wywywywy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby wywywywy on Mon May 03, 2004 1:59 am

By the way, may be a silly question, but do all those management systems include injectors?

Thanks.
Project Log
wywywywy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby freak power on Mon May 03, 2004 8:47 am

1." 2.5 to 3k for a turbo conversion" Who's doing this conversion for this price, Does this conversion have forged pistons or a decompression plate, 5th injector or the right management to run the conversion.

2. The unichip is a piggy back ECU and i not capable of running this sort of conversion.

3. You could say that.

4. Ring up Jenvey and he'll explane

5. No, Yes

6. Burton Power, Omex, Jenvey, Lumenition

7. I sure someone could make one fit, Try Autocraft ?

8. If you buy throttle bodies in kit form then you'll get the injectors with it, you don't get injectors when you just buy a management system
freak power
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby wywywywy on Tue May 04, 2004 3:27 pm

Thanks again freak power.

I now have gathered quite a lot of info from you and other websites, and am evaluating TB's vs Supercharging vs Turbo :p

But there is one thing I am not very sure of.
The engine is a 130ps 1.8 Zetec-E in very good condition. Should I swap to a 2.0L before doing any work, or should I leave it as it is?
I mean... apparently in the end the 2.0L will produce more power, but then I will have to buy the engine and then pay again for transplantation.

In terms of bang for bucks, should I transplant?
Or put it this way, is there much difference (or just a slight difference) in power between a TB'd 1.8 and a TB'd 2.0?

Many thanks.
Project Log
wywywywy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby freak power on Tue May 04, 2004 6:17 pm

You'll just end up swapping the engine for a 2.0 in the end i bet so i would say swap it foe the 2.0
freak power
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby wywywywy on Wed May 05, 2004 10:54 am

Again thanks a lot matey :)
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Will ring Burton and Jenvey when money (and car) is ready.
Project Log
wywywywy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby freak power on Wed May 05, 2004 8:28 pm

I'll be posting pic's of my 2.1 Zetec 16v with throttle bodies up soon.
This engine has almost been modified in every way and it even run a big shot of NOS aswell
freak power
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby wywywywy on Thu May 06, 2004 12:00 pm

Ohhh cool! I am looking forward to seeing those!
Hmmm actually no, UPLOAD NOW! I can't wait.

(My throttle bodies notes are getting bigger and bigger each day :D )
Project Log
wywywywy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.