Mapping???

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Postby Nitrous on Fri Jul 20, 2001 5:51 pm

Can anyone explain exactly what mapping is & when is it required?

When U put a chip on a FRST does it automaticlly map itself?? does this depend on what chip?? & can U get better results by getting someone 2 custom map your chip?? & how much would this cost??

Havent seen any posts relating to this subject, alright so I havent done a search yet, but I will now!!!

Advice appreciated!!!
Nitrous
Poster
Poster

Postby bassboy on Sat Jul 21, 2001 5:45 am

when u get ur engine management mapped, all u are doing is telling the ECU when and howmuch petrol and air to throw into the engine at [ERRR] point in the rev range. Not only that, you will be able to tell the ECU what sorts of fuelling etc to run at different boost levels.

Its mainly needed when ur running heavy mods and pushing a good amount of power. This is only because the performance chips that you can buy from the shop, arent custom mapped to ur engine spec, therefore wont run spot on even though they seem like they do - they run on preset levels (as far as im aware)

To get ur engine mapped....ur looking at LOADSA cash m8!!! ur loooking at over a couple of hundred no probs!!!

hope this helps

bassboy
bassboy
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Sat Jul 21, 2001 8:28 am

as Bassboy said :smile:

A "chip" is basically an Eprom type device that can be written to and changed using special equipment. The "chip" will then intercept signals coming to and from the ECU and change them accordingly.
To get a custom mapped chip, like a Unichip, you will also need to buy a second chip to by-pass the over boost protection, which means lots and lots of ££££££ The Uni-chip is soldered into the wiring loom, which can be risky if the person is not good with a soldering iron. In my years working in the oil industry, i have never seen a mechanic that is good with a soldering iron!!
A Superchip is a "piggy back" type which just plugs into the port on the ECU, alot safer :smile: and Superchips will by-pass the over boost protection without the need for a second "chip", saving you some cash.
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby Nitrous on Mon Jul 23, 2001 7:40 am

Thanks 4 the replies, makes more sense!!
CheeRS!!!
Nitrous
Poster
Poster

Postby bassboy on Mon Jul 23, 2001 8:03 am

u looking to get urs mapped m8??

bassboy
bassboy
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Postby Nitrous on Mon Jul 23, 2001 8:35 am

Nah, only running small boost on a 165 Superchip, hardly worth it.
Just wondered about mapping really, U know how it is, somedays I feel like blowing loadsa cash on it & get it tuned proper!! & other days I think well I might sell her in 6 months or so & will loose $$$ on it!!
Cant make up me mind!!!
Nitrous
Poster
Poster

Postby bassboy on Mon Jul 23, 2001 9:15 am

thing is...if u sell it what would u buy next???

bassboy
bassboy
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Postby Nitrous on Mon Jul 23, 2001 3:20 pm

Probably a Sapphy Cos, was interested in a MR2 Turbs but have changed my mind now!!! Thing is I know Im within my limits with the Fester, whereas Cossies can B costly, what with INS & running costs, + any parts that I may require if things go wrong.
Nitrous
Poster
Poster

Postby bassboy on Mon Jul 23, 2001 3:56 pm

i reckon stick with the FRST m8, it'll be more worthwhile especially if u do more town driving then motorway driving. Not only that, wait until u know urself that u can afford the Cossie...especially if something major was to go wrong with it!!

Ur FRST will probably give the Cossie a run for its money speed wise around town!!! especially [ERRR] there is much less turbo lag, power to weight ratio etc etc!! but the Cossie will stil be right behind u!!!

bassboy
bassboy
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.