MK4 fez 2.0 Zetec conv Shopping list. please help!

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

MK4 fez 2.0 Zetec conv Shopping list. please help!

Postby recogniseman on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:30 pm

Hello All!

I know many of you will sigh when hearing cries for help when talking engine conversions. This largely due to numpties posting that they want help converting their cars to achieve the impossible (or Just too expensive).

Please regard this post as a genuine request for help and advice because I really am interested in converting my beloved Mk4 1.25 zetec s (the Yamaha one, I believe) to a 2.0 Zetec. Plus I am not a numptie!

Anyways, I know a puma engine would fit alot easier as it is very similar to what I have already, as is the Puma itself, but Just because its easy does not make it best. Plus puma's are still much more pricey than the common ol' Mondeo that I plan to use as my Donor car. I also understand that I will need new engine mounts and probably a gearbox too. Along with alot of other stuff which is where I could do with your accumulative help and expertise.

so... What engine mounts to use? RS1800? 16vSi?
What gearbox is best? RS 1800? or can the Mondy one be used? My donor will be a MK2 Mondy
What other stuff will I undoubtedly need? Drive shafts and other such things (I have read I may need a different sump on the engine to wrought the exhaust correctly, is this the case?)

What I would like is to gather as much of the stuff I need beforehand, so when I get the Donor car, work can take place straight away.

Many thanks in advance. I await any help you can give.
I will create a threat when doing the work to help others and document my progress.

Rob
recogniseman
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Re: MK4 fez 2.0 Zetec conv Shopping list. please help!

Postby Ollybee on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:42 pm

I doubt you'll find many offers of advise for this mate as I'm not sure anyone on the site has done it. First recommendation is further consider the Puma conversion, it's the easiest and it is the best! Does ZSOC have any people who have carried out this conversion, you might find more help there.
Those that can, do; and those that can't, talk about it.
YRN Thread - yrn-vt151433/
FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=869385470
Ollybee
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Focus Titanium & Fiesta ST

Car: 1996 Ford Fiesta Quartz

Postby recogniseman on Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:12 pm

Thanks Olly. I will try ZSOC. The main reasons for being put off the puma conversion is as I said, the cost of getting a Donor Puma is greater than a Mondeo (even written off ones are more than w/o mondeo's) And also because I would like to eventually turbo it. I don't know of any Turboed Puma's out there, although I am sure there are some. However there is lots and lots of help and advice to be found for turboing the Zetecs.
Thanks again.
recogniseman
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby xrsi on Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:30 pm

personally i cant see the conversion being any harder to do in a mk4 than a ka, plus you have slightly more room in the engine bay of a mk4.

as for mounts, i would imagine that custom mounts would need to be made due to the difference in the mounting of a mk4 engine, however i cant say for definite that it is defo the case as i have never attempted this.

Also you would need a gearbox with a hydrolic clutch due to the mk4 setup being of a hydrolic type.
xrsi
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI

Postby bassboy on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:20 pm

i looked into this a while back but the to-do list as such was just too much for what we wanted from the vehicle.

Compared to the mondeo, 2 out of the 3 mounts are used (if i remember correctly), need aftermarket management or the standard loom integrated to the Fiesta loom etc

we settled for a Puma 1.7 engine, just need to find details of fitting one

bassboy
bassboy
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.