Mods needed to take big shot of NOS?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Mods needed to take big shot of NOS?

Postby Sunil_FiestaRS_16V on Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:11 pm

ive been thinking of what im gonna do to get more power out of my car.
zetec turbo is a very tempting option but [ERRR] about going 2.0 then addin a 75 shot of nos to give me the big power. [ERRR] wud need to be done to the engine to run that amount of nos safely and relibly? and how much wud it cost?

also [ERRR] effect does nos have on ur insurance?

cheers
Sunil_FiestaRS_16V
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Location: Slough. 2.0 with Raceline head, Raceline cams, T.E Exhaust manifold, and more...

Postby heeman10 on Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:26 pm

Man, I'd never thought of trying to insure with NOS! :aaah: Dunno what they think about that, considering that legally, you're supposed to have a sticker on your rear windscreen saying something to the effect of "I've got NOS" ;), and it's supposed to be disconnected while on public roads ;) I've seen a few cars who've simply made a false floor hiding the bottle cunningly. Fairly cunning stunt IMO :D
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby AndyBlackFRST on Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:39 pm

You talking about a pregressive feed, or a big shot?
Car is back...
AndyBlackFRST
BANNED SELLER

Postby Sunil_FiestaRS_16V on Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:42 pm

AndyBlackFRST :You talking about a pregressive feed, or a big shot?

umm not sure i was just gonna get a Zex kit i have seen. it comes with everything u need including a controller ,3 jets and bottle.
Sunil_FiestaRS_16V
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Location: Slough. 2.0 with Raceline head, Raceline cams, T.E Exhaust manifold, and more...

Postby chumkila on Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:27 pm

you won tneed any mods except setting the NOS up, but remember it is costly to refill if ur gona be using it alot.
chumkila
Dirty Post Whore!
Dirty Post Whore!

Postby saqmaster on Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:19 am

NOS, as with anything, increases your combustion (that's how you get power ya know).. Just like a turbo, there's a certain amount of boost you could get away with on standard compression before it starts detonating.. the same applies to NOS.. On a 1.6-1.8, i wouldn't want to run more than 50bhp worth of NOS (actually is around 30bhp).. anything more than that and you're likely to det.. and goodbye pistons and/or rods..
saqmaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Your car: Focus ST

Postby Project on Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:54 pm

I thought NOS itself doesn't cause detting - it just damages the engine in the same way high boost with the correct fuelling would?

NOS is a very good idea for turbocharging because it cools the charge air temps.
<< I need to put something here, yer? >>
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby saqmaster on Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:55 pm

Of course NOS can cause detonation. That's what can destroy your engine with Nitrous.

Lower your ACT is a bad thing? Ha ha ha. Nitrous is very, very beneficial to turbocharged cars, as long as you don't go silly.
saqmaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Tom SX on Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:00 pm

Project ST2000 :NOS is a very good idea for turbocharging because it cools the charge air temps.

erm he just said that didn't he? :-?
Tom SX
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: A big German gaymobile

Postby saqmaster on Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:54 pm

I think some editing took place there ;) .
saqmaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby heeman10 on Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:01 am

No, there was no editing, otherwise it would say at the bottom that he had edited it. Detonation doesn't necessarily bugger everything up, but you lose power. "Knocking" and "pinking" are both terms for detonation, which you heard as a series of "knocks" coming from the engine. Saying it's gonna blow your engine up is all a bit extreme methinks. Detonation's to do with the timing of the spark, so I think you might be falling into the large category of people that say "Yeah, if you use NOS your engine'll blow up man", but it doesn't have to be the case as far as I know. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but that's the impression I have anyway.
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby saqmaster on Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:05 am

Actually, you're wrong.

You won't hear detonation. To really hear it, you need to use a set of "det cans".. Basically a stethoscope you bolt onto the block somewhere.. And no, detonation is not just caused by bad timing..

I'm not fitting into the category you claim, I know exactly how NOS works.. I said it was beneficial to turbocharged applications.. anyway, i'm not arguing.. maybe I misread what the other guy said..
saqmaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby heeman10 on Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:07 am

Why can some people just not have a civilized discussion about things? It always turns into a big argument when we're all just trying to get a solution! AFAIK, detonation is caused my the mixture igniting before TDC and burning in the chamber before the exhaust cycle :-?
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby saqmaster on Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:10 am

I am being civil :D

Anything that increases cylinder temperatures can cause det, but nitrous is pretty cool (pardon the pun) in that it does actually lower temperatures.. but my point above was to 'not go silly' because there's always a limit to when det will start..
saqmaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby heeman10 on Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:12 am

That's what I was wondering, because nitrous has a cooling effect I'd have thought premature ignition as a result of excessive heat would be out of the picture, but as I said, I'm no flippin expert! I wonder how many years it'll be till cars come with NOS fitted as standard/optional extra from the factory? :devil: BP stations with petrol, diesel, LPG and NOS :devil: mwahahahaaaaaa!
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby saqmaster on Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:14 am

i don't think i'd like to be sitting on a huge tank of LPG and NOS :wink:
saqmaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.