new brakes are squealing and locking up.

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

new brakes are squealing and locking up.

Postby dee_RS_2ltr on Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:55 pm

Hi guys, i bought brand new drilled and grooved discs and pads from black diamond for the rear of my fiesta as it has rs2000 set up on the back. got fitted bout week or 2 ago and now they're squealing like pigs in heat when they hot and sometimes when i brake the passenger side one locks up!! which causes a few brown trouser moments :oooh:

what could be causing this???

cheers, damien :D
dee_RS_2ltr
Post Master
Post Master

Postby dee_RS_2ltr on Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:05 pm

ive just done a search on this and a couple of other people have had the same problem. ive heard 'load apportioning valves' being mentioned. mine has been lowered and the rear bench taken out because i have a rollcage in the back now. Also when i go round corners and brake this tends to lock up the passenger rear brake and the car sort of skips and bounces around the corner unless i come to a stop or take me foot off the brake. By the way im not doing stupid speeds, has happened at 30mph, could anyone help me with some info cheers?
dee_RS_2ltr
Post Master
Post Master

Postby sailorbob on Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:51 pm

Sounds like you got too much braking force on the back end, some cars have an inertia type rear brake compensator fitted (eg 205 GTI) which is basically a ball bearing on a spring to cut the flow of fluid off. By adjusting the angle this sits at you can alter the rear braking characteristics.
sailorbob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby dee_RS_2ltr on Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:46 pm

would a normal mechanic be able to sort this or would i have to take it to a garage take deals with brakes?
dee_RS_2ltr
Post Master
Post Master

Postby sailorbob on Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:59 pm

A normal mechanic should be able to sort this out but adjusting a compensator for a non standard set up it pretty much a case of tweak it a bit, try it, tweak it a bit, try it etc. May be putting the car on a brake tester to see what proportion front to rear there is might work.
sailorbob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:38 pm

If the car's lowered, wouldn't the load apportioning valve on the rear beam adjust for more rear bias? I don't have such a valve, but the FRSTs did, and possibly XR2is? :-? As sailorbob says, get it on a brake tester and see what it's doing.
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby dee_RS_2ltr on Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:23 pm

ok cheers guys, i'll do that then.
dee_RS_2ltr
Post Master
Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.