New engine, getting ready for re-build (Help required)

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

New engine, getting ready for re-build (Help required)

Postby redfezzy on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:22 pm

I have bought a fiesta turbo engine about a week ago now, I want to strip it down and check everythings in good working condition, what do I need
to look for? How can I tell if the pistones and other bits are in good working condition. Pretty new to this and always wanted to rebuild an engine, any help would be great.
redfezzy
Poster
Poster

Re: New engine, getting ready for re-build (Help required)

Postby FRSJON on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:56 pm

do you know the mileage of the engine??... it would help you out greatly then we could tell you what to look for,what things of that mileage would look like....lets just say its done a 100k+ and not been serviced very well...the upper part of the cylinder head would probably be caked in black oil deposits...when rebuilding it would be best to empty the head of everything and replace... cams,lifters dont last that long... with the head off id say the valves would be covered in a fair amount of carbon..this can be removed and the valves reground...as for the bottom end id say a fair bit of carbon on the piston crowns,look at the bores which will probably be very shiney (glazed)... there will be a carbon ring at the top of the bores... with a finger nail check the see how much of a ridge there is... for this sort of mileage approx 1mm...best thing would be a rebore,new piston and rings...check the crank journals for any signs of scouring..and check the condition of the big end bearings,this will show what condition the engine is in...preferably you'd like them to be a matt silver but more likely to be a dull gray...you would be better off replacing as many parts as possible to make sure you end up with a sound engine.... hope some of this helps... :)
FRSJON
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: frozen white/carbon zt

Postby redfezzy on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Thanks for the info FRS Jon, will help a lot. Gonna pick up an engine stand tomorrow and give it a good check out the weekend. Will be taking pics of condition, The guy said the milage was about 40,000 miles, but I think he was telling porkies plus nothing to back up the milage.
redfezzy
Poster
Poster

Postby FRSJON on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:40 pm

if its mileage is that low it must of been rebuilt before...in which case it should be very clean inside...will await the pics.. :)
FRSJON
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby redfezzy on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:16 pm

Bought a engine stand this week and manged to fit my engine to it today :D I Started to dismnantle it, firstly I drained the oil whitch was dark, but wasnt thick and didnt hav an bits in the sump so good news. I then removed the cylinder head and all looked well apart from a few scrates on top of the pistone heads, does anyone who what that means? The bores also looked in good condition.

Future plans are to run a T3 turbo, biege injectors, 195 chip with a kent cam.

I was told I could run the 1.6 rs lump on my 1.8 xr2i ecu and loom aslong as I used a 195 chip, is that correct? or do I need the rs turbo ecu and loom?

Trying to upload pictures but having problens :-?
redfezzy
Poster
Poster

Postby FRSJON on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:49 pm

looms can probably be modified but your much better off getting the right loom first time them it stands alot better chance of working right....i wouldnt worry too much about the oil ...probably means its been in there fort a bit...scratches on the pistons....?.. was there much carbon on them??..
FRSJON
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby redfezzy on Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:55 pm

Finally got some pics up, fully stripped the head and the bottom end, just need to get them checked out, pressure tested and bored if needed. Thinking of going for the standard set up with the t3 now :D pic 3 and 4 show the scratching on top of pistones.
redfezzy
Poster
Poster

Postby snake on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:57 pm

looks like someones had the head off recently and been scraping the carbon off the pistons with a screwdriver
snake
Trainee Burger Flipper
Trainee Burger Flipper

Your car: ford

Postby redfezzy on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:57 pm

What does a build up of carbon mean? is that indicating a problem?
redfezzy
Poster
Poster

Postby Ruishy1 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:12 pm

redfezzy :What does a build up of carbon mean? is that indicating a problem?

If its an excessive build up then it means your running rich, but normally you will see carbon build up :)
it looks fine from here anyway
Ruishy1
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.