New Ford Fiesta, need mod ideas

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

New Ford Fiesta, need mod ideas

Postby Uni on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm

G'day all. I'm new to this joint, so first i'll introduce myself a little. My name is rob, i live in sydney Australia.

now to business. i went to the motor show with dad, and as per my agreement with him, it looks highly likey that i will be getting a second hand/demonstrator Ford Fiesta Zetec within a few months (the current shape).

so now i need ideas for mods. this car is gonna be around for a while, and i do not want a turbo as im only young and insurance will kill me, nor do i want an engine transplant as its too costly in Australia. what i want from the car is a low, excellent handling (the fiestas have excellent chassis...) car with enoughf sting to pull a flat 15sec quarter times.

The engine is the 1.6L Duratech, so hit me with any ideas you've got. i also need info on wheels stud patterns, brake pad configurations and sizes...

cheers fellas

Uni/.
I hear what you say
And although the words are there
I think that i will only truly understand you
When i hear you scream those words
And you will scream
You will scream...
Uni
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

new ford fiesta mods.

Postby mitch_lx on Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:13 am

Hey my name is Mitch and i live in newcastle australia. about 4 weeks ago i bought a brand new ford fiesta lx (base model) with a few of the essentials like air con and stuff...
ive been wondering about mods and stuff for my car too.
Regarding wheels i think the 17's off one of the focus models would look awesome on the fiesta ( they are a thick 7 spoke design and i hear they are about 1200 fitted with tyres from ur local ford dealer )
Another idea would be some light weight alloys racing wheels :) try http://www.tempetyres.com.au http://www.tyres.com http://www.ozzytyres.com.au.
with brakes i noticed that simply put. they are s**t. 4 new bendix brake pads would solve the problem though. they are about 80 dollars for 2 pads.
With engine mods one of the first things you will notice when u pop the bonnet is just how small everything is, next thing you will see is that the airbox lies flat over the engine which does infact let alot of hot air into the airbox which inturn sucks into the engine which isnt good for performance. what i did yesterday was go to a local insulation place and buy some quality heat insulation and line the underside of the air box with it by cutting out the shape of material needed and fastening it to the air box with a couple of the bolts used to hold the box together. this stops alot of hot air getting into the airbox. next thing im going to do is get a BMC filter which u can order from http://www.autospeed.com or if your very lucky u might be able to get them from ur local performace shop.
other than i havent really thought about other mods as of yet. id like to get a full exhaust but im a bit worried about taking the car to any old exhaust shop because of the simple fact the extractors come off the back of the engine instead of front. exhaust shops f**k up normal exhausts :P imagine what they would do with a type they havent seen much.
best bet is to wait till companies bring out extractors for the car.
one last thing.... biggest mistake ever would be to get a demo car. NO NO NO!!!! when u get a new car you have to drive it sensibly for at LEAST the first 500k's the demo cars have around 1000-3000 ks on it and i can guarantee they have been thrashed from day one. best bet would to get the zetec new or if u cant afford it get a lx model if ur willing to sacrifice things like abs. EBFD and the body kit... your choice. hope this helped.
:D
mitch_lx
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Uni on Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:02 am

fvck sorry for the late reply man, since no-one replied i pretty much gave up on this forum...

yeah the fiesta is a truly unique little car, and that has been my most dominant concern, and from what you say i seem to have been right in thinkin that mods may be tough and pricey...

the new ST fiesta looks like it'll get the 2L zetec donk from the focus, but like i said, an engine swap is a wee bit outta my price range. so for the moment if i decide to get it, i'll be looking a a cat-back exhaust, someintake work, lightened fly and pulleys, bigger wheels and probably a custom whiteline handling pack (there are no pre-made kits for the fiesta as yet), which i am prepared to pay for hahaha i like corners :D fvck the 15 sec 1/4 mile its gonna be too expensive on such a new car...

thanks alot man, your advice really helps. i will ask one question though:

how does it drive? does it handle the bad roads well or does it muddle its spring and damp alot?

Uni/.
I hear what you say
And you will scream
You will scream...
Uni
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

new fiesta

Postby mitch_lx on Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:01 am

The car handles surprisingly well actualy. ride is stiff compared to most small cars and its very hard to loose traction in it because the car is not long and as a result alot of the weight is positioned at the front of the car. thats my take on it anyway.
best bet is to take one for a ttest drive and see for yourself. would be good if it had an extra 10kw. gear ratios are really short and it makes the car feel more responsive and torquey. although it does take a while to really get moving whilst in second gear. its okay. nothing mind blowing as you would expect. the new corollas go better they have 26 kw more. but they are nowhere near as nice as the fiesta.
Im eager to see how a new air filter and a full exhaust system will affect the car. aparently "hi tech" can make a complete system for 1600. best bet is to get their number out of a hot 4's mag and call em up. would expect 10-15 kw and maybe 5-7 nm more with ocmplete system :)
the throttle body is TINY :( and so are the pipes from airbox to throttle body. that will be the next thing i change :P let me know how you go with ur car :) heres my addy if u wana talk on msn... burrito_dude69@hotmail.com
cya
mitch_lx
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Uni on Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:26 pm

thanks champ thats a massive help...

speakin to dad tonight it looks like the car's been delayed by at least a year until i can save up and contribute abit more, but i was expecting that. hahahaha i cant expect to lean on my parents for too long ay :lol:

in a year and abit the next revision willl be out etc so it should make the purchase alot easier.

i'll add ya on the w/e, im at school and the msn port is blocked :(

cyas man
Rob/.
I hear what you say
And you will scream
You will scream...
Uni
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.