new turbo design!!!

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Postby The Bruster on Tue Jan 29, 2002 3:10 pm

This a post pasted from the LSOC, but though you guys would like it too :wink:

Just thought i would enlighten everyone on a couple of new changes to future turbo design that will be revolutionary (evolutionary?) in the near future. Before i go on, I don't have an auto engineering background so if i say something incorrect or piss off someone by all means speak up...or forever hold your peace!.
Anyway the two new techs are air bearings and electrically assisted turbos.
The first, air bearings, is a major step to the design to a turbo. If i asked you what is the main disadvantage to a turbo what would you say? High heat/friction/lag time?
Well instead of having a conventional sleeve or ball bearing on the turbo shaft this would be replaced by a thin layer of air which produces virtually no friction and therefore a lot less heat. As you probably know from high school physics when an object is travelling at high speed it's surfaces are generating high or low pressure fields. Therefore an object placed near this surface starts to 'float' (or in the case of a plane the object itself, the wings, starts to take off). The same principle keeps your hard disk heads floating 1/1000th inch and prevents them from crashing into your disc surface at 5400/7200/10000 rpm. In fact air bearings have been used in hard disks for quite a while now. All the research & development has been on how to apply the air bearing to the more hostile environment of the car, what with the higher temp, much higher rpm(>100,000rpm) etc. Also when the bearing is at rest, it's actually touching the inside wall of the shaft. Special dry lubricants patented by the us army have reduced the spinup/down friction. So this airbearing promises to make a turbo that might just outlive the rest of the car, even if you don't have a turbo timer!
The next part, when i have time, will be a quantum leap to the mechanics of a turbo engine, therefore merits a second part. The electrically assisted turbo. To keep your whistle whetted(?) it promises to improve considerably the efficiency(read more speed!) of the engine by removing a load from the engine crankshaft, provides boost from idle(alright!!!), improving feedback from a turbo five-fold, and does to the turbo what efi did to the pre-efi engine.
Stay tuned!
ImageImage
The car infront is a Toyota
The Bruster
'80s Suprastar
'80s Suprastar

Postby chumkila on Tue Jan 29, 2002 4:10 pm

sounds tops esp the air-bearing. it really was only a matter of time for this development. :smile:
chumkila
Dirty Post Whore!
Dirty Post Whore!

Postby Muzza on Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:51 pm

On 2002-01-29 14:10, The Bruster wrote:
This a post pasted from the LSOC, but though you guys would like it too :wink:

Just thought i would enlighten everyone on a couple of new changes to future turbo design that will be revolutionary (evolutionary?) in the near future.

Sounds good.
Has to be said - Thats good, because i evolve. But i dont ....... revolve. :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Muzza FRST on 2002-01-29 21:54 ]</font>
Muzza
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Muzza on Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:52 pm

(Edited because i wish i could spell)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Muzza FRST on 2002-01-29 21:53 ]</font>
Muzza
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.