[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 191: Undefined array key 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4338: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4339: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4340: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
Noisy rockers?? (CVH) : Technical Problems / Queries | Fiesta Forums

Noisy rockers?? (CVH)

Problem or technical question?

Noisy rockers?? (CVH)

Postby RS Joe on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Ok, the problem I have is...

I have put a new std. cam kit in my frst. (It was not a gen ford one) after starting the car up yesterday all was well (no tapping/rattling) until i revved it up a bit, at say between 2/3'000 rpm there is some rattling coming from the rocker cover area. It sounds like a loose rocker to me. Has anyone else had a similar prob? or know what it is likely to be? :-?

cheers Joe
ImageImageImage
RS Joe
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Noisy rockers?? (CVH)

Postby cowie20 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:51 pm

is there not a certain way to run new cam kits in on a engine.? like holding at certain revs for a certain time???

did you leave the tappets in a bucket of oil before fitting?
cowie20
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby RS Joe on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:47 pm

Yeah the tappets were soaked in oil and the cam was ran in. But after that I did the bottom end (new shells/etc)
And I started it for the first time yesterday and thats when I noticed the noise.
Although the tappets I put in were not ford one's and I know they won't last long it's not the tappets making the noise (at least it doesn't sound like it)
It sounds more like somethings loose, which is why I'm thinking the rockers.
I should stop being a lazy git and take the rocker cover off to have a look, but it's freezing outside (snowing now) and I thought I may aswell put a post up on here just to see if anyone has had the same prob. and point me in the right direction of what to check.

Cheers tho bud
ImageImageImage
RS Joe
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby cowie20 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:34 pm

yeah non ford tappets wont last long. did you torque down the rockers? ive never torqued them down and never had a loose one. have snapped a rocker before tho. a loose rocker is only thing in head than can be loose. or the cam locking plate bit...maybe loose?
cowie20
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby RS Joe on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:18 pm

If the weather's dry tomorrow I'll take the cover off and give it a check, If I remember right I did torque them down, but you are supposed to use new nuts
(I didn't) maybe this is the problem.
I have had it throw a rocker off before but that time it had pulled the stud that the rocker fastens to right out of the head, so I had to replace the head :x
ImageImageImage
RS Joe
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby cowie20 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:43 pm

new nuts dont make a difference mate. maybe one has come slightly loose? whip rocker cover off and just give everything good look over, make sure all collets are still in place..just incase .. never know.

check the cam holding plate thing. give all rocker nuts a tighten up. cant think of anything else to check in the head mate.
cowie20
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby moondustka on Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:26 am

Have you got all the shims under each rocker arm? I've done that before.. I accidently put 2 under one arm and it sounded horrendous.

Also, probably not the problem, but you also needed to run the cam in - usually between 2500-3000 rpm for around 20 mins (though it's been argued that 20 mins is a bit excessive - but does no harm) Otherwise you risk the cam lasting all of 5 mins of its potential life if it's not run in.
moondustka
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby RS Joe on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:55 pm

I've not had a chance to look yet, we've had snow again today and more due tomorrow, but as soon as I get a chance I'll give the head a good check over, it's just annoying because I thought I'd done with the engine and could spend some time on the bodywork, there's always something to keep you busy :lol:
ImageImageImage
RS Joe
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby moondustka on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:46 pm

RS Joe :there's always something to keep you busy :lol:

It's a Ford, and an RS! Double wammy there :lol:
moondustka
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby knuckles on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:12 am

my noisey tapping was that i had double valve springs with standard tappets. They were too strong for pattern part tappets and they broke down the edges of the tappets.

new rocker arms £95
new seats £36
new std valve springs £25
new washers £4.50
new studs £10
new nuts £3.50
new ford tappets £26 each :o
new ford camshaft £160

now its quiet :D :cry:
ImageImage
~nomad~ :Good god I love Clark.
knuckles
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta Rs turbo

Postby RS Joe on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:31 am

moondustka :
RS Joe :there's always something to keep you busy :lol:

It's a Ford, and an RS! Double wammy there :lol:

Your not wrong there :lol:
ImageImageImage
RS Joe
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby RS Joe on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:33 am

knuckles :my noisey tapping was that i had double valve springs with standard tappets. They were too strong for pattern part tappets and they broke down the edges of the tappets.

new rocker arms £95
new seats £36
new std valve springs £25
new washers £4.50
new studs £10
new nuts £3.50
new ford tappets £26 each :o
new ford camshaft £160

now its quiet :D :cry:

Ouch! :aaah: :lol:
ImageImageImage
RS Joe
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.