Overboring and choosing a turbo

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Overboring and choosing a turbo

Postby Fez on Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:46 pm

Because of stupid finnish laws I have to limit my mods. If I modify the exterior and interior I will have enough points to change either the engine or the gearbox.
And because the maximum power allowed for a mk3 Fiesta is 159,6bhp I have chosen to change the gearbox and leave the 1.4 litre CVH in and tune it.

I'm going the turbo route but there aren't many suitable pistons. So I was thinking about overboring. The standard bore is a bit over 77mm. Is it possible the overbore the block to 80,5mm? Or is that too much?

I will get DTA management and custom manifolds. But which turbo should I get? T25?
Fez
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:04 am

Can you not get a RS Turbo engine ? it would work out cheaper.
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby Fez on Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:00 pm

Fezzy Turbo :Can you not get a RS Turbo engine ? it would work out cheaper.

I can't change the engine if I do lots of other mods. The finnish law is so stupid.
Last edited by Fez on Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fez
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mmogenius on Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:28 pm

what if your engine accidentaly BLEW up :D and when you bought a new one it was sort of a 1.6 Turbo, Is that possable. ?

I can reccoment some ways of blowing your engine up if you like ?
mmogenius
2.0 16v Fiesta RS Turbo
2.0 16v Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby Fez on Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:21 pm

Sure you can change as many parts as you like as long as the MoT inspector or cops dont find out.

Here's the exchange percentage system for a 3-door Fiesta:

Bodyshell 16,0 %
Floorpanel 8,0 %
Bonnet 2,0 %
Front wings (1,0 % each) 2,0 %
Front dors (2,5 % each) 5,0 %
Tailgate 2,0 %
Heater 2,2 %
Dashboard 1,2 %
Meters (speedo etc) 1,2 %
Front seats (1,2 % each) 2,4 %
Rear seat 2,0 %
Interior panels 2,0 %
Windows and wipers 2,0 %
Bumpers (1,2 % each) 2,4 %
Grille 1,0 %
Lighting and wiring 1,6 %
Front axle and suspension setup (brakes, wheels, etc.)14,0 %
Rear axle and suspension setup (brakes, wheels, etc. 6,0 %
Steering setup 3,0 %
Engine 12,0 %
Starter 1,5 %
Alternator 1,5 %
Transmission and clutch 9,0 %
Total 100,0 %

Every part you change or remove will have to be added to the exchange percentage.
The best thing to do is to keep changed parts below 35%.
If you exceed that you have to go to a special MoT check up: every part will be marked with a code (costs about 200e).

If you change 50% or more you need to register the car as a new vehicle.
That means that the car needs to pass the newest emission tests. The problem is you have to go to a special test center.
The tests cost about 10 000e per test. And you also have to either pass the newest crash tests or make lots of stress handling calculations.
And you also have to pay new car tax. About 6 000e. Not to mention the special permits you need (200e each).

So in other words it's almost impossible for "normal" people. Only one car has been made: http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/iirol/kotisivu/RA2_Eng.html
It was designed and built by a group of Finnish students of automotive engineering and industrial design.

And if you tune or change the engine you have to have brakes and anti-rollbars etc. from the highest spec model.
And there are a couple of other laws as well:
You can have 20% more power than the most powerful engine (133bhp+20%=only 159,6%)
The displacement can be 25% more than the biggest engine. (1800+25%=2250, not a problem then)
The new engine can be 25% heavier than the heaviest engine. (not a problem)

These are the laws that cause the most problems. But there are lots of other irritating laws.
Fez
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby MadcatCraig on Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:03 pm

that system is very similar to the way we decide if a car is q plated in this country

the only thing is this is no where near as strict as what u describe
MadcatCraig
BANNED SELLER

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.