performance dump valve

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

do they?

nope
33%
nope
33%
nope
33%
yep
No votes

Total votes : 21

performance dump valve

Postby Ben_frst on Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:28 pm

rite ppl im out 2 prove a point dump valves on a t2-t3 turbo runnin low boost make no performance increase

opinions please
Last edited by Ben_frst on Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ben_frst
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:35 pm

Its a proven fact they DONT give any performace increase. They can infact make your car slower on pickup as the turbo has to "re-fill" all the lost air thats been ejected out of the dumpvalve.
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby StreetDragster on Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:39 pm

But i thought thats what they were supposed to reduce??

They way i had it in my mind, is that if you didn't have a dump valve, the air would stop when the throttle flap is closed, and the turbo would stall, then when your foot opened up the flap again the turbo would have to spool up back to working rpm to produce boost. this delay was lag.

If you had a dump valve the air is leaked out when the throttle flap is closed, leaving the turbo spinning on its bearings under momentum, so that when you palnted your foot again its all ready a percentage towards its working rpm, therefore reducing lag.

Also the turbo's bearings arn't shocked when the turbo comes to a sudden halt.

Any i wrong? If so please point of where

Thanks

Matt
StreetDragster
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Ben_frst on Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:37 pm

up just gettin ppls views
Ben_frst
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby s1chris on Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:29 pm

i know its already been said but yeah its just suposed to give your turbo a bit of an easier life, my old boss who used to build the grp N rally lancer evo's used to super glue them shut as they were of no real use.
s1chris
Post Master
Post Master

Postby pollocks on Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:51 pm

i havent had a turbo car yet but am workin on it now lol

the dump valve is there to aid the spool of the turbo as wen it stalls and u here the chatter thats the turbo stallin and the pressure pushin it out the waste gate so instead of stallin the turbo u make it freewheel by havin the air pushed out and havin the turbo ready to go again instantly

plus i have heard about a couple of the big 600bhp cossies out there usin 2 d/v's as the manufacturer of the turbo told them if they did not then when the let off it cud snap the shft in the turbo with the shock surge :O
pollocks
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.