Pipercross Viper

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Pipercross Viper

Postby MuttleyMcLad on Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:18 am

JUst wondered has any 1 got, or know any1 who has got one of these as they claim 2 addd up to 10bhp, but at 200 quid, they r a bit expensive

Cheers

:)

MuttleyMcLad
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby xr2i 1649 on Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:33 am

i think they r poo and a lot off shop's do not
sell them.[ERRR] they do not lie them

(but that's wot i think) :wink:
xr2i 1649
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:57 pm

Just a fancy name and fancy claims so they can charge you way too much for a cone filter.

:rolleyes:
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby mgiantorange on Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:35 pm

I don't see how it can possibly give 10bhp unless it is replacing a massively restrictive airbox on a big-boost turbo system.

The only advantages of the viper as far as I can see are

1) it has a carbon layer which looks pretty
2) it "encloses" the filter so if you can get it to sit far enough away from the block, it should be able to suck in cold air rather than warm like most standard cone filters.
mgiantorange
Poster
Poster

Postby TomFiesta on Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:07 am

Don't think they will work better than any other filter...
TomFiesta
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fiestasi-Andy on Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:41 am

they are too expensive @ £200

:rolleyes:
My Bad!

Sorry
Fiestasi-Andy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby focus_zetec on Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:21 pm

oh belive me they work, all the focus owners i know that have them tug over there preformance, they have proven bhp of plus 10-12 and when used with a s/s system they can give upto 17 bhp, this is proven and im not talkin poo poo, but yes the crapi thing is they are way too expensive, the focus version is 250, but like thingy said they are very un ristricted, they have a big fat cone to replace the one in the car and then they have a extendable tube thats about 3 inch 4 inch wide that you can fix where you like, on the focus everyone affix's it under neath the car to get the cool external air, and they make a lovely sound. yeah fair do they are expensive but you wont be un impressed with there preformance. its like happy hardcore, everyone knocks it and says they hate it but deep down they really love it lol. but i wouldnt expect mad preformance on a standard car.
focus_zetec
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:07 pm

focus_zetec....

I would think the majority of your claimed 17bhp comes from the exhaust and not the air filter.
Do Focus's not have an air flow control of some kind ? that would control your airflow no matter what kind of airfilter. Yes it would "breath" easier but wouldnt make that much (10-12bhp) difference.

It's the unrestricted exhaust that makes a difference, an airfilter will give u about 5bhp.

cheers :)

Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror

Postby MOONDUST FRST on Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:21 am

Just wondering but wouldnt these be like a sort of 'pre-intercooler' cooler?? :-? :rolleyes: But then again ive had a few beers lol :lol:
MOONDUST FRST
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AdrianFRST on Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:53 pm

From http://www.pumaracing.co.uk

On older cars with carburetors the air filter box was usually a round plastic thing with a tiny snorkel tube for the engine to breathe through. This silenced induction noise very nicely but also strangled the engine. The filter itself wasn't the problem, it was the box it sat in that caused the restriction. Throw the box away and fit a K&N and a good few bhp was easily found. On modern fuel injection engines the induction systems are much better designed because the manufacturers can't afford to waste any available power. In my experience the filters themselves, which are usually flat square items, cause no restriction at all as long as they are new and clean. Replacing them with a "high performance" filter does absolutely nothing for power output. There is sometimes a bit of power to be found by enlarging the inlet tube in the bottom of the filter box or drilling a couple of extra 1" holes in the box. It's usually only a couple of percent at most though and hardly enough to even be felt in terms of extra performance.

The performance systems which replace the entire standard filter box with a tube and cone type filter achieve much the same thing as drilling a couple of holes in the standard box but for lots more money. You are unlikely to see more than a couple of percent extra power from these and very often they upset the standard fueling so much that power and economy in fact drop. To get any gain it's often necessary to spend even more money on a rolling road session to get the fuel mixture tinkered around with to restore it to optimum and often this is only partially successful and you end up with poor starting, shunting and stalling in traffic and other irritating habits if it isn't done right.

Once again beware of magazine tests where the standard filter element isn't a brand new one in a back to back test or the results will be meaningless.

(Copyright David Baker and Puma Race Engines)
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Your car: ..? Pretty car..!

Car: 2010 Ford Focus RS

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:27 pm

Thanks Ade :)

I see i was being generous with 5bhp :wink:

Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror

Postby mgiantorange on Sat Jan 18, 2003 6:09 pm

elsewhere on the pumaracing site David Baker gives 0-3% as the expected gains from a cone type induction kit and 0-5% from a free flow exhaust.

This would be about a total of 12bhp to a 130hp engine
mgiantorange
Poster
Poster

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:51 am

The problem is that some of these so called "free-flow" exhausts are not much more "free-flowing" than the std exhaust. A lot of these exhausts make a lot of noise and not much else, how do they make that noise ? restricting the flow of gases and twisting the piping in the boxes.

Example:
Scorpions make a lot of noise, because on a cossie back box the 2" pipe hits a 1" hole on the back box!! then it opens up again through to the 4" pipe.......why ? have a guess ? ;)
On the Mongoose exhaust there is nothing there, it is just 2-2 1/2" pipe all the way through......as is the same on my Mongoose on my car.
My old Supersprint exhaust pipe was no bigger than the standard pipe.

So be careful when saying "free-flow" exhaust, you might as well use a std exhaust.

cheers :)

Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror

Postby robdxr2i on Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:24 pm

ive got a viper on my fez and have noticed a slight gain over my old k + n, but i am not sure about wether i have a genuine increase. looks good tho.

rob
robdxr2i
Post Master
Post Master

hmmmm

Postby unknown_user on Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:46 am

Or is that just you anting to feel the gain as you have just spent 200 quid on a air filter :lol: :lol:
ImageImage
unknown_user
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby robdxr2i on Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:10 pm

probably :D

rob
robdxr2i
Post Master
Post Master

Postby unknown_user on Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:45 pm

I know [ERRR] u mean, put cams, zorst, filter on my 1600 Si i wanted to feel the gain then! wondered why then relised the valves where tiny! and thought damn!
ImageImage
unknown_user
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.