Port and polishing 1.3 HCS

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Port and polishing 1.3 HCS

Postby Liebo on Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:46 pm

Hey, just some pictures to show my engine being polished on the insides to make it better.

I have loads of pictures but not on my computer so others will come later...

Picture 1

The head was removed... pistons look a little interesting, i think its white burning a little.... This means running weak? Doesnt this come from the early Zetecs when ford decided they could make engine run on 19:1 fuel:air instead of 17:1 as per other manufacturers? This was a thing ford did as far as I am aware to increase fuel econonmy?

Needless to say it will be de-coked and cleaned before its put back together.

Picture 2

Ah, the head in the shed (I'm a poet and I didn't.... erm shouldn't be...). Using scouring bits to grind the worst off then a polishing bit to smooth it out. I have some later photos of this work being done and it looks better!

Picture 3

Whilst we was using the scouring bits, we decided to do the outside of the engine, take all the crap off and rust and the standard grey/green paint off. This gave a nice surface we could paint. So we did.

I screwed the dipped in thinners then blow torched dried head and rocker cover together. Under the cover isnt anything you'd expect. No tappets, valves etc. The rocker box top was put on top to protect the inside. Killed two birds with one stone.

I think its coming along quite nicely. What you guys think?

The tappets were dismantled and cleaned in thinners and the valves and pushrods etc were all cleaned but, I dont yet have photos of these.
Liebo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Liebo on Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:58 pm

Update

Picture 1:

Here we are adjusting the tappets.... they have been set to 0.20 and 0.30 for inlet and exhaust respectively.

Anyone suggest any "better" settings for HCS 1.3 CFi ?

What is that green pipe....?

Picture 2:

Just a little close up. They have been ran since cleaning and replacing, look how shiney they are :) Near the spring, the rod is all clean :)

Picture 3:

Hmm what happened to that standard rocker cover? Well it was warped so wouldn't sit right this leaked oil :( I have been using the Endura-E one for ages before and this fit perfectly and is already black... Gave it a clean with some thinners and its nice and shiney :)

You can see the 'black' vht painted cylinder head now in place too :)

And yes, that green hose sends the oil cack down to the floor and not back into my K&N (as factory) as I found it was putting crap back in the engine!

Comments please:)
Thanks.
Liebo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Nick 2i on Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:22 pm

looks like it coming along!

that green pipe looks like the top of the thermostat :-?
Nick 2i
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby fizxr2i1649 on Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:54 pm

looks cool m8 :)
fizxr2i1649
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby PaulC on Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:24 pm

Nick 2i :that green pipe looks like the top of the thermostat :-?

He says later on its something to do with oil? :-?

Looks good, whats that on the drill that you're using mate?
PaulC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Liebo on Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:35 pm

There is some green hosing going down from the oil filler cap to the floor to send all the crap out of the engine instead of back into the engine :P

It's some garden hose i chopped off the one outside on my back garden :P

The drill bit is a bigger version of those bits you get with Dremmel style kits.

It took all the big lumps off the cast iron then we used a finer grade one to buff it up.
Liebo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Liebo on Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:36 pm

I've got another exhaust manifold from another car I am going to clean up and paint with the same VHT Black paint, then get a chrome heat shield on and it will look mint :)
Liebo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby PaulC on Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:56 pm

Nice one mate, should look good when its all finished :)
PaulC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Liebo on Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:18 am

I got a spare one of those thermostat housing things too. (the bit on the left of the cylinder head). Apparently it is alloy or some sort and you can get it to polish up proper nice.

Anyone know of this?
Liebo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.