problems after fitting new suspension

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

problems after fitting new suspension

Postby dee_RS_2ltr on Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:28 pm

i fitted newish suspension (brought off ebay, bloke said they had covered 500 miles and been sitting in his garage for a year, and to be fair they looked clean, no rust etc) but have had knocking noises coming from the front two ever since (back ones are ok) and its doing my head in! ive fitted new rubber doughnuts that go on the top of the struts but the noises are still there. if i rock the front of the car and put my hand on the struts i can hear them knocking and rubbing on the doughnuts. firstly, are you meant to grease the doughnuts up to stop the rubbing? and secondly, could the shocks be knackered? i took the original bump stops off and replaced them with spax ones, would that of done anything to cause this?

please help me! :cry:
dee_RS_2ltr
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:02 pm

Wrong kit for the car ? shocks leaked dry ? could be a number of factors.

You need to get your car inspected and find out.
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby Sphinx on Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:51 am

Did you 'prime’ them before fitting them? If they have been stored for a while, most likely on their side, then the shocks will need to be fully compressed and released a few times for the gas/liquid inside to disperse properly. I’m not 100% sure if this will solve your problem but if may be a factor to consider.
You can use my car when you prise the keys out of my cold dead hands
Sphinx
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby dee_RS_2ltr on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:06 am

oh right, how do you prime them? it seems its only the front two that are the problem, the back ones are fine. when i got them they were just in a box they didnt look greased up or anything so i reckon they're dry. how can i get round that problem? could a bit of WD40 do the trick?
dee_RS_2ltr
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Sphinx on Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:36 pm

To prime them you have to take the spring off and compress the shock fully then let it expand fully a few times. If there are any bubbles in there you will hear them at 1st and then they should dissapear. hth
You can use my car when you prise the keys out of my cold dead hands
Sphinx
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby dee_RS_2ltr on Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:04 pm

ok mate cheers for that bit of info, i'll try it at the weekend and let you know :D
dee_RS_2ltr
Post Master
Post Master

Postby fizxr2i1649 on Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:17 pm

i had that [ERRR] my old spax it was the spring not sitting right kept moving in the lower cup 4 week and it works it way out
but that wot i think :D
fizxr2i1649
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby BillyCabrio on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:16 am

If you've lowered your car then theres going to be extra stresses on the tug lower TCA's (A great design by Ford :lol: )

It could be that they were worn already and the lowering of the car will have slightly knocked the geometry out. Maybe worth replacing these, their cheap as chips or keeping ya old arms and putting PowerFlex bushes in there (or another aftermarket make)

Good Luck tho :wink:
Click My Siggy To See My Cabbie Restoration Thread, All 29 Pages of it, make that 30!!
BillyCabrio
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby dee_RS_2ltr on Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 pm

whats the TCA's? ive had both CV joints renewed the other day. ive had the springs off a few times now and checked that they're seated properly and they are :-? so im gona check the engine mounts. then if that dont work im gona buy some new shocks. :oooh: just thought, the back ones are fine, they have PI shocks and springs, the front however have PI shocks but fiesta center springs as i wanted the front lowered by 50mm and they were the only ones who made them. could that be the problem???? i hope it is!!
dee_RS_2ltr
Post Master
Post Master

Postby dee_RS_2ltr on Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:33 pm

also i put new spax bump stops on but took the orginal ones off, could that do anything? i jacked it up yesterday and sprayed WD40 on the bumpstops and on the rods and it seems to do the trick for about 10-15 miles then it starts again :x
dee_RS_2ltr
Post Master
Post Master

Postby BillyCabrio on Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:33 pm

TCA's as in the lower Track Control Arms?

Their trianglular in shape, with bushs made of plasticine. :oooh:
Click My Siggy To See My Cabbie Restoration Thread, All 29 Pages of it, make that 30!!
BillyCabrio
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby dee_RS_2ltr on Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:40 pm

oh those, i checked those and they look fine, no splits in the rubber or anything, one is only a year old, the other is about 2 i think.
dee_RS_2ltr
Post Master
Post Master

Postby BillyCabrio on Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:43 pm

Trust me mate, you'll be changing them as often as you do oil changes :rolleyes:
BillyCabrio
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby dee_RS_2ltr on Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:47 pm

ok mate i'll take it to a garage see if they can see if they need replacing.

cheers
dee_RS_2ltr
Post Master
Post Master

Postby rob c on Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:15 pm

i have the same problems....from what i have been told, the tca's (wishbones) will have to be re setup, mine was doing it before i lowered it... will let u know during the week, as mine sre being replaced and setup on mon night.
rob c
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby dee_RS_2ltr on Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:17 pm

how can they be re-set up? thought they were in like a fixed position with the three bolts?
dee_RS_2ltr
Post Master
Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.