quick spacer/saftey Q...

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

quick spacer/saftey Q...

Postby Faith on Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:37 am

just a quicky - whats the most i can space out my wheels with out usuing longer studs etc... i already have 5mms on the backs and was looking to stick another 3mm spacer on...is this gonna be safe or not really...

cheers,

ade :D
Faith
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AC 2003 on Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:19 pm

are you doing this to stop rubbing or for looks? If it is for looks I would suggest against it as having 8mm spacers is a lot and is pushing the wheels out a lot, also you may start getting rubbing on the outside arch which i started getting when i had spacers on the back of my car.
AC 2003
Post Master
Post Master

Postby sailorbob on Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:00 pm

From a safety point of view it depends on how much thread is left exposed once the wheel nut's on. A rough rule of thumb for fixings is to have the exposed thread equal to half the diameter of the bolt.
sailorbob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby JamieFRST on Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:51 pm

If its the rear fit a spacer to the rear beam that spaces the entire hub out.
JamieFRST
Keep It Tidy
Keep It Tidy

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby jayrs on Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:00 am

as above for sure, and i just happen to have some nice bits of 4mm steel the same shape as the stub axle in my shed as i was gunna do this then i got coilovers
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: FRST, XR2, ST170, ST225

Postby Faith on Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:13 am

thanks guys,

Jay - so do i take the brake drum off and put it behind that?
i have got H&R coilys but still the wheel is too close for my liking even with a 5mm spacer.

Ade :D
Faith
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:21 am

i didnt need spacers but then i got rear disc's so it spaces out anyway.

the drum has to come off to get the 2 rivets out that hold the back plate to the axle, take the drum off, take the 4 bolts out the back (prob have to drop the axle off shock) and take stub axle off, drill out the 2 rivets, the back plate is now only held in place by the brake line so be careful, slip ya spacer up the back of the back plate and bolt the stub axle back on (might need longer bolts) so you have spacer, back plate, stub axle, then stick the drum back on and jobs done mate

you cant use wheel spacers for this, you have to make one up mate
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: FRST, XR2, ST170, ST225

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.