Re-circulating dump valves

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Re-circulating dump valves

Postby festaturbo on Mon May 13, 2002 4:01 pm

Any one have any idea on how to fit a recirculating dump valve to a FRST
festaturbo
Poster
Poster

Postby kirk sear on Mon May 13, 2002 4:11 pm

u cant fit them to a frst there for cosworths and if u look closely there is no gaps because they dont give of the tisssshh when u change gear.a cosworth have these fitted standard and upgrade them to bailey when they up the boost.
ImageImage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
kirk sear
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Ian C70T5 on Mon May 13, 2002 4:26 pm

You can fit them AFAIK..

They make the car have the fluttering through the filter instead
Ian C70T5
Das Ist Kapput
Das Ist Kapput

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Mon May 13, 2002 8:32 pm

kirk sear :u cant fit them to a frst there for cosworths and if u look closely there is no gaps because they dont give of the tisssshh when u change gear.a cosworth have these fitted standard and upgrade them to bailey when they up the boost.

Kirk......i think you got it wrong. Why is using a Bailey d/v an upgrade ?? bailey are not the d/v to use on a cossie or any car for that matter.

As Ian has said, you can fit a re-circulating d/v. It will be a bit awkward but it will work.
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby festaturbo on Mon May 13, 2002 10:16 pm

Fezzy why not a baileys? Wot dump valve would u recomend?
festaturbo
Poster
Poster

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Mon May 13, 2002 11:11 pm

The problem with Bailey and traditional piston d/v's is that they stay open until enough pressure has been made for it to close and will let all sorts of crap into your engine...........not good.

Get a twin piston d/v......i think Forge do one and i can highly recommend the Collins twin piston d/v..... i have one ;) :D They have a second valve which will remain closed and stop any nasty stuff entering the engine.

cheers :)

Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror

Postby kirk sear on Tue May 14, 2002 8:16 am

what i meant by an upgrade is that the cossie as a dumpvale as standard but when they turn the boost up they have to up grade there dump valve to a bailey cos they have a better spring.
ImageImage
kirk sear
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Tue May 14, 2002 6:13 pm

you can just put a stronger spring in the re-circulating d/v ;)

As i said, Bailey are not the type of d/v i would fit on a cossie, something like a "group A" type or twin piston would be better, as both have parts to stop any crap entering the engine.

cheers :)

Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror

Postby festaturbo on Tue May 14, 2002 7:59 pm

Letting crap through where the vacum hose or the turbo hoses?
I have a piston dump valve. The large piston has 2 rubber seal rings and it seals the vacum side. Theres a smaller plastic piston which is held down by a little spring sealing the turbo pipe? Is this a twin piston type?
festaturbo
Poster
Poster

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Wed May 15, 2002 9:43 am

sounds like it, do you know who made it ?

or can you get a pic of it ?

Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror

Postby PhilM on Fri May 17, 2002 11:37 am

Ian FRST :You can fit them AFAIK..

They make the car have the fluttering through the filter instead

Yep...indeed you can it them.

Ian, with a recirc DV they are 100% silent. No flutter. Flutter is caused when there is NO dumpvalve at all, as the air comes back through the turbos impeller blades. A recirc will prevent this happening, as will a normal DV, the only difference is one is quiet, the other is not :).
First EECIV 'plug n play' SECS S8
PhilM
Post Master
Post Master

Postby MadcatCraig on Fri May 17, 2002 1:55 pm

with a recirc dump fale the pressure normally let out of the holes creating the noise is sent back to a charge hose the otherside of the turbo ! so in a fiestas case would have to be the air filter hose !

woudl mean cutting one iup mind !
MadcatCraig
BANNED SELLER

Postby kirk sear on Fri May 17, 2002 9:14 pm

so i was right then i think.like i said they are mainley for cossies as they are standard on them and then they put the bailey 1 on as it is an uprated 1 plus looks better than black.
ImageImage
kirk sear
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby crispa on Sat May 25, 2002 10:25 am

Come on peeps!!

Right Baileys do make a twin piston d/v which prevents s**t idle and c**p being sucked in, and you can fit a re-c d/v to nearly all turbo cars the difference is that a stardard d/v dumps to atmos as you all know making a lot of noise a re-c dumps back after th filter before the turbo, the avantage of this is mainly less noise + for cars with the maf sensor after the airfilter befor turbo it stops the ecu over fueling cause when a stardard d/v dumps the ecu still thinks the air is in the intake eg 10 cubic litres of air pass the maf but once dumped only 2 cubic litres remain. If you have a manifold bar sensor + another sensor which name i have forgoted this prolem does not occure so a atmos d/v is fine!!

The other option is a dumpvalve that dumps into the exhaust manifold causeing engine bypass which makes the turbo spin faster. This option is very very complcated because the engine fueling and spark need to be retarded so the spark occures as the exhuast valve opens and is known as anti lag!
crispa
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.