removing snapped bleed screws

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

removing snapped bleed screws

Postby chop_suey on Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:06 am

as the title says, i waited 5 weeks for the cossie brakes from Xfactor and when they arrived the bleed screws were so f**cked that they snapped when i tried to open them, brilliant. any ideas what to do now?
chop_suey
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby brookenstein1600si on Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:36 am

If they're still off the car, slowly and very carefully drill them out starting small and working you way up, when you get to the thread bit (2 colours of metal?) you'll need to re-tap the threads. Difficult but not impossible.

See you tonight if my cars fixed and you haven't drilled through your hand :lol: .
brookenstein1600si
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Low Down And Dirty on Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:51 pm

You can drill the hole out to the right size and use an easy-out that's how I did one of mine when I snapped it, but don't snap the easyout off FFS cause you CAN'T drill them out !!!!
Low Down And Dirty
Post Master
Post Master

Location: Andover ish Drives: RS1800 and Overfinched Range Rover

Postby mole90 on Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:26 pm

Get sum screw extractors- they screw in but then when u undo them it takes the other thread with it too. Need to do this on one of the rear drums on my Z-S, managed to snap the bleed valve luckily when it was closed :lol:
Mk3 1.6Si and now a Zetec-S :D

ST170 Stopping Power :D and now a Z-S :D
mole90
Poster
Poster

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:03 pm

Send them back to xfactor and get them to fix them if they arrived knackered.
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby chop_suey on Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:36 pm

well they were second had from the xfactor car and they were so tight they snapped before even moving. do you think its fair for me to send them back?
chop_suey
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Clair on Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:27 am

I don't mean this to sound stroppy, I just want to let people know the situ as this is a public forum on which Jay has built a reputation.

You waited 5 weeks because Jay was incredibly ill with a virus as I believe he explained in a previous post.

When Jay took the old brake pads off the Fez he noticed they were in no way good enough to pass on, even second hand so he sent you a brand new set. I don't think this is the action of someone who sends out faulty parts.

I know Jay has been in contact with you to try and help find someone to sort the problem out. I understand you need to ask for suggestions on how to solve your problem but I feel complaints should be kept between the seller and buyer, unless making it public is going to be of some benefit to other users which in this case, I think we know it's not.

Clair
Last edited by Clair on Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Call 01753 632811 or visit http://www.xfactormotorsport.co.uk
Clair
Post Master
Post Master

Postby xrsi on Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:24 pm

try heating them up as well while using the easy out! will break the seal that has formed! coat it in wd as well for a bit before heating!

clair - i can sort of see where he is comming from however as it was advertised by Jay and using the xfactor log in name on here.... so it would be easy to asume it was through the company not a privvate sale of personally owned bits! (not saying he is correct to put the name up tho!) but at end of day Jay out of goodness of his hear replaced the pads so they could be used straight away which he didnt have to do!

bleed nipples are very delicate items anyways, and are prone to breaking if they have been in for a long time, just one of those things!

hope ya get it out ok, if ya not happy doing it yourself take it to a garage for them to do... if they knacker it more they will prob have to replace them!
xrsi
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI

nipples....

Postby Shayne on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:05 pm

Have been mechanic for 25 years and have to defend the seller......bleed nipples shear at any time.
Shayne
Poster
Poster

Postby MOONDUST FRST on Sun May 01, 2005 10:23 am

Heating with blowtorch first is by far the best way to get them out thats what i do all the time now :D
MOONDUST FRST
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.