roll cage fitting

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

roll cage fitting

Postby xrsi on Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:55 am

am going to be fitting a roll cage to my fiesta turbo later and it didnt come with any distructions on where to fit the plates, do they get welded on the inside or on the outside of the car?
xrsi
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI

Re: roll cage fitting

Postby SamT on Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:41 pm

Just finished fitting a safety devices one last week to my mates 106 gti. (i take it yours is a bolt in one?)

Basically, you'll need to assemble the cage inside the car first , not fully just a kind of mock up so you can position your plates, they go on the inside of the car

Then when you've done the mockup and marked the positions for you plates, you can start welding them in. You might want to tac them in first then refit the cage to double check there in the right positions. I didnt lol, but checked my measurements many times, it was ok lol.

Weld em all up.... after that youll have to drill the holes through the bodywork. Your plates should have the holes in them already, if not, then mark them on the plate when you do your mockups.

Then put the cage back in and bolt it all up, long process, but is worth it :D
SamT
Poster
Poster

Postby xrsi on Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:53 pm

yeah is a bolt in one but its the omp cage so is as one piece apart frm the removeable diag brace.

did a quick fitting test yesterday ( i say quick - 3 hrs) so i could cut the metal and foam in the back seats so i can retain them as i dont want the car stripped out so most of its ready to position the plates but wanted to make sure they went on the inside, may also put some on outside to double the load spread instead of having point loads under the floor pan from the nuts and washers.
xrsi
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI

Postby happypaul on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:40 pm

Forgive me for sounding daft.... but why keep the rear seats in with the cage? its not as if you can use them while the cage is in.
happypaul
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby xrsi on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:22 am

cos i dont want the car stipped out
xrsi
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI

Postby happypaul on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:47 am

But you cant use the rear seats with a cage in.. thats the thing which seems a tad odd to do.

But fair enough :)
happypaul
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby dangermouse on Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:19 pm

how did u get on with the omp cage because im after getting one lol
RS1800 - Dangermouse is back!!!!! :-) VOTE DANGERMOUSE ft-calendar-voting-thread-get-voting-vt176334/
dangermouse
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby xrsi on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:21 pm

its a bi-atch to fit with the interior in but is doable!

you have to cut part of the metal away from the seat back uprights so that the cage will go past them and then you need to bolt it in with them there in position as ytou cant put them up or down afterwards which i found easiest way was to remove the rear 1/4 windows and parcel shelf supports then trim a little off the supports after the cage is bolted in so that they can then slip back over the pin that locks into the lock mech on the rear seats.

not a quick and easy job tho :'(
xrsi
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.