Rollcentre cages, opinions

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Rollcentre cages, opinions

Postby Sphinx on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:10 pm

Ello all, What do people think of rollcentre stuff because I had a quick look and you can get FIA national spec ones for £339 and FIA spec for £428, whats the difference in these?
I’m looking for a 6 point roll cage that’s nice and tight fitting. I’d like one that I can put in myself because the car cant be taken somewhere for the work to be carried out. Also, I’d like one that goes behind the dash. How tricky is it to trim the dash for these kinds of cages? And does it affect the air vent piping?
Thanks for your help.
You can use my car when you prise the keys out of my cold dead hands
Sphinx
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Oranoco on Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:15 pm

Before looking at cages check with your insurers as some get very upset you start to talk about fitting cages to road cars

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Sphinx on Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:18 pm

Its not insured at the moment, its a project in the garage, so i'll do everything i want then worry about insurance lol
Sphinx
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Oranoco on Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:28 pm

HIC were pretty fair with me when I told them I wanted a cage. :Q

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Sphinx on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:44 pm

Good to know, last time this car was insured it was with Liverpoole Victoria, back when they were cheap :lol:

Anyway, back to the item in question, Rollcentre cages....
Sphinx
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Sphinx on Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:47 pm

Anybody? Mainly the dash thing, do they interfere with the air vents?
Sphinx
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Pez on Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:54 pm

Id guess the air vent piping will have to be modified in some way, but if you want a full on cage, thats the jobbie to go for. They are supposed to be at the pillars of the car for strength anyway really. Get on, it'll look rather lovely. And being FIA approved, also sufficiently strong to pass all their tests. Its all good, you know you want it.
Pez
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Sphinx on Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:58 pm

Oh yeah I'm deffinatly getting one, the FISA turns out to be thicker which isnt what i want so i'm stickin to the FIA one. I might have to modify the vent pipes with some fireglass or something, but i want something that fits nice and snug so i can re-use as much of the interior as possible. Hopefully all will be revealed for FITP, hopefully!!
Sphinx
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby bcracknell on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:21 am

if they fit as close as safety devices cages, good luck getting the interior back in......
bcracknell
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Sphinx on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:12 am

Do you rekon I could fit the rear seats back in? I admit, I might have to trim some…trim lol or make some custom pieces, but if it fits nice and snug then I think a feature can be made out of it.
Sphinx
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby bcracknell on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:30 am

to make the rear usable you'll have to make sure you don't get a rear diagonal and don't get door bars either. I'm sure you could get some trim in, especially of you're willing to make some custom parts up.
I'm not 100% on the fit of roll centre cages but they have to be similar to my safety devices one, I'd check what they say about the dash. but by design a proper FIA spec cage will always be a tight fit as they are not for show but are functional.....admitedly though they do look good!

this is how close the safety devices ones are:

bcracknell
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Sphinx on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:20 am

Great pics mate, cheers!
I've heard rollcentre and safety devices cages are almost identical. Does yours cover the seatbelt mounts on the B pillars?
Also, the rear diagonal, I am going to have one.....mainly cos it looks cooler lol but are you sure you couldnt squeeze the back rest of the rear seats in?
Thanks for the help.
Sphinx
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby sjoyce666 on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:22 pm

I had a rollcentre cage in my ERST. I had it custom made as they didnt list a twin diagonal

It fitted perfectly and i would have no problems buying one from them again

Very good bunch, easy to deal with and quick delivery

Scott
sjoyce666
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Sphinx on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:46 pm

That’s good to here Scott, what about the seatbelt mounts on the B pillars? Could they still be used?
Sphinx
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby sjoyce666 on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:52 pm

im not sure on the whole seatbelt thing as i had harnesses in mine

My ERST was stripped and the cage in the rear leaving the rear seatbelt mounts usable so i screwed in the harness mounts to these and used the harnesses

definately felt alot more rigid once in there

be careful with the headlining though when fitting as i caught mine and it had a slight tear in it

Scott
sjoyce666
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby bcracknell on Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:15 pm

I think you'd have trouble with a standard seatbelt, I'll take a proper look at the weekend and take some pics to show clearance on the B pillares if you like.
The rear diagonal will be in the way for the rear seat backs....You're going to have to loose the rear seats if you have a rear diagonal..... You could probably cut the seat to go round it somehow but you'll only get one person in the back.

where abouts do you live? you're welcome to come have a look if you're not far from Petersfield.
bcracknell
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Sphinx on Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:48 pm

I’m not far from petersfield at all, I work in Havant so I might be able to pop round one day after work, but its getting dark early days. If you could get pics of the B pillar seatbelt mount/cage area it would be much appreciated. If I really have to get some bucket seats and harness’s and loose the rear seats and carpet everything then I will…oh such a chore lol I just thought it would be pretty fancy if I could keep as much of the interior in as possible, bit more luxury and sound deadening after all.
Cheers for your help!
Sphinx
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.