RS Turbo Engine Rebuild ASAP

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

RS Turbo Engine Rebuild ASAP

Postby project_mistral on Mon May 02, 2005 6:53 pm

Just rebuilt the bottom end, cranked the engine round and the pistons protude above the block face by about 2 - 3 mm.

Each one is the same, there has been NO change of the crank, conrods or pistons.

Is this meant to happen?? i cant remember when i took the engine apart.

The only reason i ask is that i thought they were meant to be low compression engines and surely this would make them alot higher??

any help much appreciated.

dan
project_mistral
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Ruishy1 on Mon May 02, 2005 10:58 pm

definately not supposed to do that mate, who rebuilt the engine ?
sounds like the wrong pistons/rods have been used :-? not really something u can diagnose over the 'Net.
but def wrong mate.

Ross
Ruishy1
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby turbo.jon on Mon May 02, 2005 11:04 pm

mine just stick out the top buy about 1mm and they are right any higher and the head wont fit on propperly.mine are cosworth racing ones which came un machined and had to be machined and valve cut outs put in

jon
turbo.jon
Poster
Poster

Postby project_mistral on Mon May 02, 2005 11:40 pm

i myself have rebuilt the engine and have followed it to the book. this is what i cant understand. If im using all the original stuff other than bearing shells obviously, why is it now doing this?

or did it do it before and i didnt realise.

Im lost as to what to do?!?!
project_mistral
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby turboboss on Wed May 04, 2005 7:38 am

the pistons should be 1mm below the top of the block Defiantly not protuding out of the block sometimes they are level but most cases below depending what the compression ratio is
turboboss
Post Master
Post Master

Postby project_mistral on Wed May 04, 2005 8:01 am

i have been told the pistons on these engines do come above the block, they should be about level with the head gasket.

Odd it seems, but this is how they are.

i think if you use low compression pistons, then they wont protude above the block, but this one does.

Dan
project_mistral
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby project_mistral on Wed May 04, 2005 10:31 am

Just spoken to Power Engineering who build these engines, and the pistons DO come above the block by about 2-3 mm.

just to let you all know :D

Dan
project_mistral
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Ruishy1 on Wed May 04, 2005 4:56 pm

mine didnt, :-? i rebuilt mine last year and they only protruded maybe 20 thou at a push.
Ruishy1
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby turboboss on Wed May 04, 2005 5:13 pm

come to think of it my 1.9cvh from power engineering the pistons were level with the block but on my zvh they are 2mm below
turboboss
Post Master
Post Master

Postby project_mistral on Wed May 04, 2005 9:26 pm

I would imagine on a zvh you would want to lower compression in which case the pistons will be shaped differently and therefore will come below the face of the block.

Generally speaking the standrad rods and pistons on the turbo cvh engine will come above the black face by around the thickness of the headgasket.

dan
project_mistral
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.