RWD MK3 Fiesta?!!

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

RWD MK3 Fiesta?!!

Postby 6580durra on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:53 pm

Hey, I own a MK3 Fezer XR2i (the 1.8 Zetec). I bought it as a 'little' project, but its such a rust bucket, it isn't a little project anymore!

I love the Mk3 fiesta look, but the 130bhp (its got RS1800 bits) isn't alot realy is it!

So I wan't a lot more power! I think 350-400 would be a good start! So here's the first question, what is the best way to get the power? Obviously the 1.8 isn't going to hack it, how much would i have to do to a 2 ltr turbo to get that kind of power? Would it be reliable as a daily driver? Would it be better to go for a YB conversion? As you can see from the title I'm not scared of a bit of work!

That much power in a front wheel drive fezer would be insane, so i have already decided it will be rear wheel drive. So here is the second question; What back axle should i be looking at using? What Gearbox? Sierra? Obviously the drive shaft will have to be a custom jobbie ($$$$$!).

Its gonna be stripped out, lightweight, with a full weld in cage. Who should i be lookin' at for the cage? Im alright with welding and fabricating, but I want a professional cage.

In the end I want to have something that looks like a National Hot Rod, but can be used as a Daily Driver.

So:

Q1) Whats the best way to get 350-400BHP, Zetec or YB?

Q2) What parts should i use for the RWD Conversion?

Q3) Who buids a good custom cage?

And finally

Q4) What sort of legal crap am I getting myself into? SVA?

It will be cool to hear your guys knowledge and experiances on this type of project.
6580durra
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Re: RWD MK3 Fiesta?!!

Postby Ruishy1 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:58 pm

Firstly, do you have the skills/and/or the money to fund such a project ?
becuase it will be VERY expensive :o

But to answer, i would go zetec turbo, the YB is a great engine, but they are expenive to buy, for the price of an unknown condition YB, you could build a ZT, and then at least you know the history.

Second, to RWD it is a big task, the easiest solution is to get a hold of a sierra, remove the body shell, cut the floor plan and shorten it to the fiesta's length, and pair the 2 up. Easy to say, but countless measuring, cuttin, welding etc would be involved.

As for cages, i dont know, someone will though :lol:

As for an SVA, im sure the car will go through as a kit car, maybe on a Q plate, but i cant remember the legalities of it.

Best to check with VOSA for a more complete idea :Q

Best of luck if you decide to go for it though 8)
Ruishy1
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby SiZT on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:44 pm

and why is that much power through the front wheels insane??
Ratspeed :Maybe Wardy257 has a magazine article on it................
SiZT
Poster
Poster

Postby Ruishy1 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:18 pm

anymore than 280 bhp in a front wheel drive is a waste, after that, wheelspin, torque steer etc take over and the gains get fewer.
RWD will always surpass FWD :wink:
Ruishy1
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MK2 Jamie on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:07 pm

400bhp is going to be pushing the limits of a zt engine, you'd be rebuilding every other week. I would say the best way to go would be YB.
MK2 Jamie
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: 1988 Ford Fiesta Ghia

Postby Ruishy1 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:32 pm

Why is that ?
A ZT with uprated rods and pistons, with ARP's will run 400bhp all day long, and you will know the history of it
Ruishy1
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby 6580durra on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:20 pm

Hmm.. Thanks for the comments so far. I get where your comming from with the floor plan idea Ruishy, but surely it would be easier to mount the running gear into the fiesta shell? Yeah, I would have to make up some longitudinal engine mounts, modify the bulkhead, build a transmition tunnel, and then fabricate the rear axle mounts. But surely that would be a cleaner way of doing it? Your idea sounds like a bit of a 'cut and shut' way around it! What experiance do you have in this area? Not being rude or anything.

So ... ZT or YB? Im still thinking that if im gona go to all this effort and money, I might aswel go YB! Somebody talk me out of it!!

Money - Yes! (Squaddie with loads of disposable income!) Im not expecting it to be completed super quick, im gonna take my time.

Skills - Yes and no. I can weld, Im an Opto-Electrical Engineer by trade, but I know a few metalsmiths that are keen to help me out.
6580durra
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Ruishy1 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Im an aeronautical engineer to trade mate :wink:
Currently starting a new job at Bombardier Aerospace :D
As for using the fiesta, you would need to fabricate new front chassis rails, a new bulk head, transmisson tunnel, and then the rear axle mounts. Then you need to wonder about steering rack etc if any of it is off slightly, the car wont go in a straight line :lol:
whereas using the sierra, cut it in half and rewelding it, is a HELL of alot easier and alot less time consuming, and as another plus, you can use sierra parts, instead of complete one offs. handy if something breaks :P

As for the engine, if you want to go mad, then a cosworth V6 with an M90 charger bolted onto it would blow them both out of the water, and probably cost the same :aviator:
Ruishy1
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby curly on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:41 pm

you could allways v6 it,

im looking in to doing a 4x4 fiesta mk2 as a project with the mondeo v6 lump, it is exactly 2 foot cubed, and fits in the mk2 with 3 inches of space at the front and back, so it would definatly fit in a mk3,

and if you was to get the running gear of a xr4x4 sierra you will then have the front and rear drive shafts, gearboxes( type 9 is slightly smaller ) diffs, mountings, the works,

welld a tunnel in, and its done,
ive got a year to try and build mine, racing agains 3 other people using the 2.5 v6, all configuring it differnetly,

i cant see it appening for me

but hope that helps
k496 ghk-blue-fully customised1.1(scrapped)
g23 ean-white-smoooothed2i(scrapped)
h789wvo-red- slammed2i-2.0l(dayly hack)
[HOONIGAN]
main priority!!!
A-B-U-S-E-!-!
curly
Post Master
Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.