Selectable Boost...

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Selectable Boost...

Postby EvilFranky on Wed May 22, 2002 5:36 pm

Hello lads...

Does it make much difference to the fuel consumption if u have selectable boost from inside the car? Say 7psi low boost and 14psi high boost?

Or am i just stating the obvious...cos i think thats something i'm gonna have to think about going in for...bloody fuel bills :(
EvilFranky
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Wed May 22, 2002 6:35 pm

Franky........dont do it. Adjustable boost is dodgy unless you fork out for the proper Jap stuff and air injectors....££££££

The usual adjustable boost is just a bleedvalve inside the car, but you can not adjust your fuelling. You can only have it set for either 14psi or 7psi.....so you will either over fuel or run too lean.

Best to comprimise and get your car set-up at say 10psi.

cheers :)
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby Muzza on Wed May 22, 2002 9:56 pm

I thought that switchable boost was done by a switch taking out the amal valve and cutting in the chip.
There was an article in fast ford a few months back if thats any help
ImageImage
Newsflash : Jeremy Beadle has a small penis. but on the other hand, it's massive.
Muzza
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Asad on Wed May 22, 2002 10:18 pm

Can i just ask.... is'nt the fuel pressure controlled by pressure in the manifold? Or at least related to it?

Or is the fuel pressure set at a pre determined level by the chip?

Reason i ask is [ERRR] on my old turbo (not fezz), the fuel pressure was controlled by way of the pressure in the manifold. It was set to be 3-4 psi above boost pressure. So at 6psi, the fuel pressure 9-10 psi. This meant that when i increased the boost, i did not have to worry bout fueling.

Doesnt the same principle apply here?
:-?

Asad
Asad
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby EvilFranky on Thu May 23, 2002 7:41 am

nutsack to 10psi! LOL, i wanna keep my full 167 horses! :wink:

Wasn't sure how it worked...bugger, guess high fuel bills are just the norm from now on then :bonkers:

Its gonna get worse when i put me CAM in aswell! :lol:
EvilFranky
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Thu May 23, 2002 7:11 pm

The chip only controls when and how long the injectors are on, but it is the fuel pressure determines how much fuel gets through the injectors at the times they are on.

The injectors may fire, but if there is not enough fuel in the fuel rail they will run lean...........then it's BANG!!!! But if there is too much fuel there it will flood through and over fuel.....then bore wash.

That is why it is sssssssssoooooooooo important to get the fuelling set-up on a RR so it can be monitored and set for idle......through the rev range and under load.

cheers :)
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby Joris on Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:29 pm

But if you switch low boost on,
the map sensor will tell the car it is running less boost,
and so won't overfuel ?

This is a question, not a statement, lol.
Joris
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.