Shock Absorber

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Shock Absorber

Postby fiend on Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:25 pm

Well the rear drivers shock absorber has gone, I'm thinking of replacing it myself as I'm 18 and really should start learning these things.

..plus I can't stand paying garages to do something I could possibly do.

So.. how hard is it, how long will it take and are there any guides?

- Cheers, Aaron.
fiend
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Tweek on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:00 pm

Well, if you're replacing it with a new one I'd recommend replacing both sides. Easy job

1) Slacken rear wheel nuts
2) Jack up the rear of the car and place stands under the chassis legs.
3) Remove wheels
4) Unbolt the bottom of the shock, it'll be a 19mm (i think) bolt
5) Open the boot and remove the strut covers, unscrew the 2 13mm nuts holding the top of the strut in place but not the bolt going sideways.
6) Assuming the beam is not supported and hanging freely, push down on the drum and lift the base of the shock out and pull out on a slight angle to get the top out.
7) Using spring clamps, release the tension off the top spring cup and remove the bolt, if it's too tight after you've cracked it loose, you don't have enough spring compression.
8 ) Remove the spring and place it on the new shock, turning it so the end of the spring slots nicely into the groove on the cup.
9) Place the top cup back on (the right way) and put the bolt back through it then release the tension off the clamps
10) Reverse steps 6 to 4
11) Repeat whole proceedure for other side
12) Refit wheels and lower car back to the ground.

That's it, shouldn't take you long at all, longest part will be compressing the spring(s) lol.
Tweek
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: VW Golf GTD

Car: 1996 Ford Fiesta Zetec Turbo

Postby fiend on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:35 pm

Awesome, cheers for the guide! I'll do them both on saturday if the weather is good.

How long will it take?

I actually was just reading through an old issue of Fast Ford and its got a full guide [with pics] on fitting coilovers which shows how to remove the shock absorbers. Which will come in handy too . :)

Another quick question, are XR2i shocks different to a normal fiesta?
fiend
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Tweek on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:53 pm

XR2i shocks are gas filled and so are stiffer than lower spec Fiestas which are oil filled. As for fitment the rears are the same but on the front the sports models have the tab to fit the anti-rollbar dropling to.

I bought a pair of rear XR2i Unipart shocks off eBay for £25 posted so they're pretty cheap, and they worked lovely with Spax springs too.

The time it takes depends on how quick and competant you are and what tools you have. I'd say give yourself an hour.
Tweek
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby fiend on Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:12 pm

Ahh thanks for the info, I will hopefully be able to borrow a set of spring clamps and axle stands off a friend.

I've got a decent sock set, allen keys etc plus my Dad for help if I need it.. just need the good weather on saturday!

My suspension is all completely standard, will have a look on ebay for a set of shocks. I'm tempted to put some aftermarket springs on though.. hm.

- Cheers Aaron
fiend
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Tweek on Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:18 pm

Make sure they're big axle stands otherwise you'll need something to put them on top of :)
Tweek
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby fiend on Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:27 pm

I just went to a few places to get prices on a pair of shocks, the cheapest place was the local Ford garage.. £65 for a pair.
fiend
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Tweek on Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:11 pm

Tweek
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.