Should i change the gearbox with the new engine???

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Should i change the gearbox with the new engine???

Postby red0r on Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:37 am

i have right now a 1.6l 16v zetec and i will put in a 1.8 or 2.0l zetec, not 100% sure yet cause i dunno what engine i can get for a good price here. i know what to do but i am not sure if i should put in another gearbox or use the old one from the 1.6. i dont need high topspeed but i want a good acceleration :)
red0r
Poster
Poster

Postby voorhas on Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:43 pm

The shorter gearing on the 1.6 box will give you lower top end, lower mileage and higher noise levels @motorway speeds... it will also mean you'll get wicked acceleration so if thats what u r after stick to it. I know I would :D

Besides, if you get tired of it and your car isn't totally slammed, you can always play around with tyre diameters to get a bit more mph per rpm until you figure out which box u want.

Gonçalo D.
voorhas
Poster
Poster

Postby Nick 2i on Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:15 pm

depends what your current box is like, if its a bit notchey and you can afford a new box then go for a differnt one.

As said by voorhas you will get better acceleration but less top end with your current box.

but if you do change your box put a new clutch in there while the box is out :wink:

Nick :Q
Nick 2i
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby unknown_user on Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:48 pm

im still running my old box however its not an si box me thinks... altough my old engine was a 1.6 zetec i think the box was changed
as it only did 30mph in 1st on the limiter
where as a si box will do 40mph in 1st.... u see! can any1 tell me how many 1600 boxs are about ?
ImageImage
unknown_user
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby red0r on Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:38 pm

so what other gearboxes could i use??? i checked for other gearboxes of the fiesta and seems like the zetec engined mk3's have all the same gear ratios or am i wrong??? those are the only ones i can get and from the smaller engined cars i think. but i wont get one from a rst or something here. so are there any other options???
red0r
Poster
Poster

Postby Stoned on Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:41 pm

RS1800 box might be best?

It has similar or same ratio's as the RS Turbo box but has stonger bearings to take the power. Best you can get I reckon in your position

Unless you get like 200bhp out of that engine, in which case a diesel box :D
Stoned
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby red0r on Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:08 pm

isnt the rs1800 the same as the xr2i 16v???

or whats the difference??? anyway, i probably wont get a rs1800 or rst gearbox. just from the fiesta s, the xr2i and xr2i 16v which are all the same as far as i know :/
red0r
Poster
Poster

Postby Stoned on Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:26 pm

The ratio's may be the same but I am told the RS1800 box has uprated bearings for strength.

Cheers
Stoned
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.