SI 1.6 tunning

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Postby TJ on Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:48 pm

mmogenius :yeah mate that's including the engine....

but i only do the conversions in my garage as i have all the tools spars and ramps :)

How long would it take?
TJ
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby chumkila on Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:55 pm

Fiestasi-Andy :i went the silly option and bought a RS1800 TD, full S S exhaust (can be used for 2.0l conversion :D ), chip & filter etc

whats a RS1800 TD?? u mean a 1800 Tubo Diesel?
chumkila
Dirty Post Whore!
Dirty Post Whore!

Postby Dexter on Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:06 pm

so how do you prevent heat soak?
Dexter
Poster
Poster

Postby Stoned on Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:26 pm

a cheap way of doing it would be to wrap the item in tin foil
Stoned
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Dexter on Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:30 pm

eh? i don't get how that works.. or is it the tin foil reflecting heat some how? but in like mountain rescues they wrap you in tin foil stuff to keep u warm? i dunno i'm confused, please explain :D
Dexter
Poster
Poster

Postby Johnny_16v on Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:49 pm

either make a heatshield , buy a bmc air filter (or something similar which is shielded in a cone of some sort!, or buy a panel filter :D ! (best way in my opinion and about half the price of the k&n induction kit!)
it's up to you through!
Subtle Is The Way Of The Future!!!
Selling: M3 wing mirrors with baseplates!
Johnny_16v
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Johnny_16v on Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:51 pm

hey stoned if you wrap it in tin foil aren't you just hindering if not totally preventing the air flow???
unless you were making a funny!!! :lol: :lol:
Johnny_16v
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Dexter on Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:52 pm

are they easy to fit and to remove? also any links to somwhere selling them, been looking on http://www.motor-world.co.uk except they don't list fiesta 1.6 si in their induction kit lists..
Dexter
Poster
Poster

Postby andymac on Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:48 pm

To be honest as a rule on the zetecs I think you're better off with a good quality panel filter than a cone filter. I had 1.8 conversion with a cone filter and while it was a lot noisier, it didnt seem to offer any benefit over the original airbox (except looking kinda pretty in the bay). If excursion is reading this I'm sure he'll comment here.

However, I know there is a "viper" kit available which incorporates an airbox of sorts to try keep temps around the filter to a minimum. Duno how much but I expect it's expensive.

Many people who are wanting to use a cone filter and are serious about keeping inlet temps cool will build a kind of "cold air" box in the bay so that the filter is only really sucking in cold air. Thinking back to the engine bay on the si I reckon you'd have to move the battery to the boot if you wanted to implement that.

Personally speaking I don't think it's worth spending much money on performance modifications on the 1.6 engine. In terms of bang-per-buck I honestly don't think you can beat a 1.8 130ps or 2.0 conversion - esp if MMo is willing to do them at 400 quid a pop. As everyone has mentioned, chip, cam, stainless zorst, cone filter are the conventional ways of going about it.

I dunno if it's been done before but I guess you could have the head modified with larger valves etc but I think that personally, in terms of value for money, it's not worth it.
Nothing to see here...
andymac
Elite Pie Master
Elite Pie Master

Your car: Your car: Your car: Your car:

Postby Dexter on Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:51 pm

yeah i'd get the 2 litre conversion but, my insurance company wouldn't like it, only passed last week lol
Dexter
Poster
Poster

Postby Phil Si on Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:52 pm

moved to tuning... and its nice to see u playing nice :)

How's my moderating? Call 0800-U-R-BANNED
Phil Si
Crack Smoker Of The Year 1999
Crack Smoker Of The Year 1999

Car: 2000 BMW 330 Ci

Postby Johnny_16v on Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:57 pm

seing as you cant do the 2litre (believe me i know how it feels!) just go for it with your 1.6!
you wont get serious power but it will be fun and would probably equal a 2litre mondeo or something equivalent for pace!!!
be different!
have a go you never know it could be fun :D
john
Johnny_16v
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Dexter on Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:59 pm

i was look at my fiesta today parked between my dads m3 and db7. i was wondering what would happen if u put the db7 engine in the fiesta as its so light lol. ah well. anyone know how much a metalic black respray would be?
Dexter
Poster
Poster

Postby alexxr2i on Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:51 pm

If your dad has an m3 and a db7, could he not buy u a evo, impreza or another jap run around!?! Seriously though, if he is quite well to do, could he not 'lend' u the insurance money after the conversion?
alexxr2i
Poster
Poster

Postby Dexter on Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:50 am

dad ain't like that, doesn't pave my way in gold like people like to make out. he bought the car for me but i have to pay half the insurance and running costs etc. he says in the real world there isn't someone there to give you hand outs and to bail you out everytime you screw up so i gotta learn. i still do very well out of him, but he ain't gonna buy me a brand new expensive car for me to crash. he was on about giving me his merc when i passed [ERRR] he just uses it as the run about to put the dog in, except he said i would want a manaul for my first car and that the merc has a nasty habbit of the back end going out. anyway, whats wrong with a 1.6 SI?!
Dexter
Poster
Poster

Postby andymac on Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:38 pm

Your dads quite right in some respects (my opinon at least). (y)

Too many wealthy parents have given their kids powerful cars as gifts and seen them kill themselves or their friends in them :( (I seen this happen to two sets of parents)

Tuning the 1.6 to anything respectable is well difficult. Phil has had one, converted to 2.0. Mine was converted to 1.8 105ps by MMo & Martin (been so long i cant rememebr what his sign in it) and was cool.

I dont reckon its worth wasting money on tuning it. Most firms go by power % increase anyway so may as well go 2.0 and get the torque too.
Last edited by andymac on Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here...
andymac
Elite Pie Master
Elite Pie Master

Postby Dexter on Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:45 pm

only keeping it a year anyway, then gonna move on once i get some NC behind me. just gonna focus on styling and get a blower on the back. if i wanna go fast i'm insured on the m3 which i was driving today, going down the ring road with stupid grin and may face at 70 just changing up an down with smg gear box. that gear box rocks.
Dexter
Poster
Poster

Postby andymac on Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:53 pm

BMW 5 series 6spd manual box is sweet. Never driven SMG tho strikes me as idle mans car a bit :lol: :wink: :lol:
Nothing to see here...
andymac
Elite Pie Master
Elite Pie Master

Postby Dexter on Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:55 pm

we had an m5 before the m3 but i couldn't drive then. my dad then got invited to buy the csl [ERRR] they were only making them in limited numbers, drove it and fell in love with it, part ex the m5 with bmw for it
Dexter
Poster
Poster

Postby Johnny_16v on Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:41 pm

think you're dad wants another son!!! :D
i wash every day and everything! :lol: :lol:

but seriously he sounds like a good sorta dad to have to me!
enjoy it while you can it'll get hard when you leave home!
Johnny_16v
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Dexter on Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:41 pm

actualyl he's leaving :D i'm staying in leeds for uni so he's giving me the house [ERRR] hes moving abroad :D. kevin's palace of luv for all the ladies in the place with style and grace :D
Dexter
Poster
Poster

Previous

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.