Si 16V breathing

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Si 16V breathing

Postby James_Si on Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:51 pm

Hello all.

My Si 1.6 16V enigine was standard for a couple of months after i bought it. Then i added a Magnex cat-back system with a 4" back box. This improved the sound greatly but no real noticable performance. I was contemplating what to use for the induction side of things; either a K&N panel filter or full induction kit. Money wasn't the issue, i was worried about the engine loosing power due to the heat from the engine bay with the exposed cone filter. But today i just thought 'f**k it' and went for the induction kit with the crossover pipe, pretty easy to fit took a couple of hours. Went for a spin after i'd warmed the engine up. OMG am i impressed, not only does the exhaust note sound even better, the throttle response is greatly improved and many of the annoying flat spots have been smoothed out. Compared to the standard ride, it seems like a different engine. Really happy with the results, 90 odd quid well spent, a must have.

Now i appologise for everyone reading this who is now thinking 'well duh' because most people have already done it. But i'm writing mainly for the people with standard Si's wondering their potential for a bit more power without replacing with a 2.0. I know that i was unsure when it came to induction because there are so many posts about the subject, yet i couldn't see the information on what i wanted to know. Any way hope it helps someone :lol:

BTW, for anyone wondering you don't really hear any extra induction note with the K&N, if that's what you're buying it for.

Thanks.
James_Si
Poster
Poster

Postby mike_wall15 on Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:54 pm

Suprised you noticed a difference to be honest, I couldn't tell anything! :lol:

It's all good! :Q
mike_wall15
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 2002 BMW M3

Postby javablu on Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:54 pm

That'll be the magnex mate ;) Any/most other exhausts, with an induction kit fudgekin roar with the air going in.. next step is a Rover or Focus Inlet mate, get some more air in there :P

Good stuff :Q
javablu
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby James_Si on Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:02 pm

:) yep, onwards and upwards.
James_Si
Poster
Poster

Si induction kit

Postby chicken_eyebrows on Thu May 05, 2005 5:20 pm

Can't say I really noticed much of a difference with mine, even though I've had a Powerflow cat-back system fitted and an induction kit too. It's made it accelerate better, but not much, and now it's just noisy.

Where have you put the cold air feed pipe for the K&N? Mine is just in front of my battery and goes down to just behind the bumper, but the battery blocks a lot of the air.

To be honest I'm not over the moon with how it's performing at the moment - wish I could afford a 2 litre conversion!
chicken_eyebrows
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Ruishy1 on Thu May 05, 2005 5:46 pm

Flip2k3 :That'll be the magnex mate ;) Any/most other exhausts, with an induction kit fouquette roar with the air going in.. next step is a Rover or Focus Inlet mate, get some more air in there :P

Good stuff :Q

nah, ZT mate :P :lol:
Ruishy1
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby PaulC on Thu May 05, 2005 6:28 pm

There isnt really much that you can do to a 1.6 to get any more performance from it, the size of the valves and the ports are so small! Best to get a 1.8/2.0 in and work from that.
PaulC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby James_Si on Thu May 05, 2005 8:36 pm

I've kept the bottom half of the air box, to keep the original air feed. The ducting goes from infront the the battery to near where the original feed is. Not an ideal set up because the filter seems so cramped and squeezed in next to the battery. I'm concerned about hot air from the engine bay but not too bothered to do anything about it.
James_Si
Poster
Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.