Snapped strut to carrier pinch bolt :P

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Snapped strut to carrier pinch bolt :P

Postby JayC on Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:34 pm

Hi chaps.. just been out to fit the spax kit I got off Tanya.. and ive snapped the hubnut off...

ok this aint really bad for most of you as you have the torx bolt and hex nut, with no thread in the hub.

me.. well im just an unlucky gammon slipper.. mine is a hex headed bolt strait into a threaded boss within the hub, so as you can assume the rest of that bolt is still left in the hub?

anyone got any ideas, solutions would be better :Q.. i drove it back into the parking bay and it didnt collapse so i can only assume its in there pretty tight, but i dont think ill trust driving it yet :lol:

any help would be appriciated guys.. cheers
Last edited by JayC on Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Project62 ~ my baby
2Liter Fiesta Si Thread:)
JayC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Re: Snapped hub nut?

Postby xrsi on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:04 pm

either get an engineering company to use a VERY good quality form of an easy out and get it out that way or just go to a scrap yard and get a second hand hub.

either route is prob going to cost the same!
xrsi
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI

Postby JayC on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:43 pm

think il have a go at taking it out myself... thought about drilling a threaded hole into the bolt and then unscrewing it with a grub screw...

bit of heat should do it.. sucks ass tho.

more than likly the same will happen to the other side too.
Project62 ~ my baby
JayC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:32 am

its not the hub nut :P :bonkers: its the shock bolt, and tbh, you could drive that car and the shock will never come out.

anyway, its not as bad as you think, the fact you are replacing the shocks makes it work in your favour.

1 thing you could do, the little metal tab on the shock that fits down the back of the hub housing.......... cut it flush with the hub housing with the saw horizontal, this will leave the small bit that hooks under the bolt in, and the shock should be able to be removed.
once done use the hack saw to cut the front part of the bolt off through the groove, the front part (where head snapped) is not threaded (or shouldnt be) so will/should be able to be removed by a magnet or screwdriver pushing it out etc., even if the bolt is fully threaded it might make it a pain to get out but that side of the hub housing is not threaded so it will come out.
this will leave you with a bit of bolt about 10mm long if that stuck in the other side of the hub housing, and the good thing, you can get to the back face of the bolt, so heres what you do.

drill it, tap it, you have to use a large bolt, but not too large, get a bolt to match that new thread, and wind it in, it will stop when it hits the bottom of the hole you drilled, of if you went through, pack the new bolt head away from the bit you want to remove.

reason for this, when you do up the new bolt it will get tight, and the more you want to do it up (even though it cant anymore) it will turn the broken stud anti clock wise (undoing it) and it will undo back into the hub housing and fall out, but, your have to cut the head of the new bolt off to remove the broken bit from the housing, but before you do it, wet iy out with loads of wd40 and keep wetting it as you "undo it".

you could drill it out fully or near enough and pick out the remaining bit from the thread.

you can remove the whoel thign with shock on it and do it in a vice or drop it off at a engineering company to remove it, if you were close to me i would have that out in no time for ya mate

i know i prob dont explain it well. so hope pic helps
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: FRST, XR2, ST170, ST225

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby JayC on Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:37 am

Thankyou mate!.. its first thing ill post a bit more when im awake.. your idea is almost the same as mine tho :)
Project62 ~ my baby
JayC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby JayC on Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:59 pm

ok just read over this now im awake (althoug slightly pissed, been to the pub :)) your explenation is spot on mate and the drawing i must thank ya for takin the time to do it...

im gonna go have a bash now.. aint got a hacksaw and cant find my dremel but im going to see how my drills fair up against the bolt...

if i can make a pilot hole, i will get a tap (thats one thing i dont have, taps and dies) and then fit a grub screw (thought this would be more appripriate) to use as you said to turn whats in there.. gonna start off at 7mm and see how i can do at that size, think the buiggest key i can get into a 7 would be a 6 so that might not work..

hmmmm... just sucks mean i gotta go jack her up and take the wheels off, thats my single most worse car thing.. would build engines and do conversions all day.. but i couldent ever be a tyre fitter :D

thanks Jay for your help and support, much love lol...
Project62 ~ my baby
JayC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby JayC on Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:37 pm

tried drilling it.. got so far and the peice of s**t drill burnt out...

so now i gotta get a new drill before i can carry on and even get half an idea..

got oil all over the disk too in the process...

im really getting sick n tired of this car now :devil:
Project62 ~ my baby
JayC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:59 pm

yeah the bolt is tough aint it.
if you burnt it out, slow the drill down and let the drill bit cut, i.e dont put loads of pressure on it and dont let it get too hot.
wipe the oil off the disc with a rag then some thinners on a rag or something like it
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: FRST, XR2, ST170, ST225

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.